Man divorces wife by text message

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Man divorces wife by text message
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 2:05 PM

Are you fucking kidding me?

RIYADH (Reuters) - A Saudi man has divorced his wife by text message, a newspaper said on Thursday.

The man was in Iraq when he sent the SMS informing her she was no longer his spouse. He followed up with a telephone call to two of his relatives, the daily Arab News reported.

A court in the Red Sea city of Jeddah finalised the split -- the first known divorce in Saudi Arabia by text message -- after summoning the two relatives to check they had received word of the husband's intention, the paper said.

Saudi Arabia practises a strict form of Islamic Sharia law, and clerics preside over Sharia courts as judges. Under the law a man can divorce his wife by saying "I divorce you" three times.

The Saudi man was in Iraq to participate in "what he described as 'jihad'," according to the Arab News. Many Saudis have gone to fight with al Qaeda militants against the Iraqi government and U.S. forces.

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket

Keyholder of the TP Cabinet of P.O.O.P.

Our Wedding Website 

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Man divorces wife by text message
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 11:49 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

Ain't technology wonderful? Isn't it a relief to know that the Saudis are joining the 21st century?
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 12:58 AM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

That was also how Britney Spears told K-fed she was divorcing him!

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 6:44 AM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

"Under the law, a Saudi man can divorce his wife by saying 'I divorce you' three times."

LOL What??? Thats absurd actually. What is this, The Wizard of Oz? Do they click their heels together three times too, and proclaim "theres no place like divorce...theres no place like divorce..."

Never thought the Saudis and Britney Spears would ever have anything in common lol.
Way to utilize that modern technology! Can you imagine the text exchange between Britney and K-Fed when they divorced?

Britney: @strbucksss im all done bein married now
K-Fed: whateva bitch
Britney: haha u suck
K-Fed: yeah well u got fat laterzzz

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"Children are just like adults, minus the crushing failure." - Stephen Colbert

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 7:22 AM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

I was all ready to make a sarcastic, witty comment...but then I saw the part about the obscure Islamic law. This sort of sexist religious rule just boils my blood. Notice that there isn't anything in that law about the WOMAN being able to divorce the MAN - but it's super-easy for him to divorce her.

Oh, and by the way, did you hear that Afghanistan (I think I remember this correctly from the news a few weeks ago - and I'm 80% sure it was Afghanistan) passed a law that removed CONSENT from requirements for marital sex. Yep, your spouse can legally rape you. Fantastic.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

adrigirl01 Posts : 287 Registered: 10/2/08
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 11:42 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

You definitely heard that right. It is legal to rape within a marriage there. Although, I believe when I was watching the news one day that they began to backpedal about that law after the international community became outraged. Then again, it would be odd for those lawmakers to actually care what outsiders think since it's still jail time for a woman seen talking to a male non-relative...perhaps 70 lashes even. Goodness!

His4life Posts : 117 Registered: 4/7/09
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 1:42 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

That man needs to grow a pair!!!!

FutureLeoBride Posts : 63 Registered: 9/24/08
Posted: Apr 13, 2009 11:58 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

OMG Kelley! That text exchange is freakin hysterical and probably totally accurate!!

Marriage works because they had a shared sense of humor, mutual respect of an awesome depth, faith that they were brought together by a force greater than themselves and a love so unwavering and pure that it is sacred.
- Forever Odd by Dean Koontz

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Apr 13, 2009 1:12 PM Go to message in response to: FutureLeoBride

Thanks FutureMrsL..I have a feeling its not that far off from the reality of what actually happened lol.

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"Children are just like adults, minus the crushing failure." - Stephen Colbert

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine