How much is/was your cake?

Online Users: 1,249 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 27

LilTuffGirl Posts : 301 Registered: 11/4/08
Re: How much is/was your cake?
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 8:13 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

See I just wanted a white cake with some stars that were just outlined and some filled in that were brown and blue going on up the cake. VERY simple. But apparenly it doesn't matter what design...

I guess i'll contact the lady i'm so far impressed with and set up a day to meet her with the FH. She actually has posted that she does samples :) The other cake lady just said we'll sit and talk. I wanna eat! lol

http://www.ezticker.com/ticker/1642/214/20090829/our+wedding/ticker.png

True love never lives happily ever after - true love has no ending

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 11:59 PM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

That is absolutely right!

I'd already tasted the cake we were getting at a bridal show for this company -- and talked to them about how to structure the diabetic cake. From the talk I had with her there, I could tell she was VERY knowledgeable about this type of cake. When we went to do the interview with them, we sampled the DIABETIC cake. FH loved it. I thought it was very good. They actually baked a diabetic Spice cake for us (the Diabetic cake is Spice). And then they enjoyed it around the shop for the rest of the week. What impressed me was that I said when I called: "We would like to sample a diabetic Spice cake" (I did not ask: What kinds of cakes do you make in diabetic. I told them what I wanted. They said Okay. Now, they only offer four: pound cake, chocolate, lemon poppyseed, and Spice. The Spice is the pastry chef's favorite and he was very excited we asked for it. Our PASTRY chef is diabetic too.) He was able to make the icing match the main cake, so our diabetic guests do not look like they are getting a cake that doesn't coordinate. This company is in a different city, and knew where my church is.

The other place we checked out had a very high bar to meet when we went; however, as the only other baker in the area to offer diabetic, we wanted to get estimates from both. First: she offered ONE flavor of diabetic cake. Chocolate. She did not work with us on the color of the icing for that cake. It's chunky chocolate with pecans. We told her we wanted to sample (as I'd never had hers before): lemon with raspberry filling, spice,cake, white cake, and her diabetic cake. She was late. She gave us the non-diabetic cakes as requested to taste (minus the raspberry filling). But she did not let us taste the diabetic cake -- DESPITE knowing that that was our priority. AND she was more expensive. Had we looked at an estimate for the exact same cake that we are getting from the first place, it would have been $750... WITHOUT delivery and set up. The other place gave us $480... including tax, delivery, setup, etc. That's the whole enchilada.. Even doing a white cake (not pound cake) with no filling, our quote was higher there than at the first place. Needless to say, I won't be recommending her. She's WAY over priced, and the cakes just are okay. (She is on the SAME STREET as my church, and had to be given directions to it.)

If you end up with a bad feeling about a baker from the phone, don't even waste your time with them.

Misty

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Mar 26, 2009 7:45 AM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

I went to a local baker and asked him to make me a cake, just with smooth icing and flowers on top, two tier, and they charged me $60, then we gave them an extra $20 for delivery. :)

IMG_7463.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Mar 26, 2009 12:24 PM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

I think the average price for a wedding cake is about $500. Luckily for me my wedding cake is included in my wedding package at my banquet hall. But everyone I know told me that grocery stores or places like Price Chopper or Walmart will make you a cake for less money. Maybe try one of those.

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

DAS824 Posts : 509 Registered: 8/24/07
Posted: Mar 26, 2009 12:35 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

I would say from what I've read on this site and others about wedding cakes, that would seem about average price for what you're looking for. After reading this post and the responses, I'm glad I live in Nebraska :) We're getting our cake made by a woman who does them out of her home. She charges $1.65/slice, though red velvet, carrot, and cheesecakes are a bit more. We're not getting anything too crazy though. Just a regular 3 tier wedding cake with ribbon around the bottom of each tier and flowers on top. And then an all chocolate groom's cake the a New York Mets emblem on top.

The hardest part for me is choosing the flavors!

Shauna C...I can't wait!!

buttaflai Posts : 7 Registered: 6/10/08
Posted: Mar 26, 2009 12:42 PM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

That IS a steal. My cake is approx. 3.50 a person plus decor (it is fondant and intricate). The sheetcake is approx $1-2 a person, can't remember specifically. But, I think you're getting a good deal!
Our story

2009ToBeMrsV Posts : 256 Registered: 12/30/07
Posted: Mar 26, 2009 6:15 PM Go to message in response to: buttaflai

That is a good deal and sounds about right to me. I've contacted one place so far locally to me and they said they charge $6 per serving for buttercream frosted wedding cake and $8 per serving for rolled fondant!!! I thought that was absolutely INSANE!

Engaged: January 1, 2008
Getting Married: September 19, 2009

SoonToBeMrsDodge Posts : 70 Registered: 2/7/09
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 8:27 AM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

We're having a max of 115 people. We ordered a cupcake tier cake with 120 cupcakes, half chocolate cake (my fav), half butter cake (his fav). The icing is going to be buttercream with white on the butter cake ones and yellow on the chocolate cake and it will be decorated with a white daisy on each cupcake. She's also making a 6 inch top tier with yellow buttercream icing in a style called tuxedo which will use his half of his butter cake on top of my chocolate cake, also decorated with daisies and my cake topper. She's also making us another one of those 6 inch cakes for free to save for our 1 year anniversary. In total it's $330 which I didn't think was too bad for the amount of people we're having. Plus, his grandmother is paying for it because she said it's a tradition in her family for the groom's grandparents to pay for the wedding cake.

wedding websites

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

goldelox20 Posts : 152 Registered: 8/6/07
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 4:09 PM Go to message in response to: SoonToBeMrsDodge

My cake was $1400 for 200 people. My baker is in Los Angeles. I found this to be the average price in my area, especially since I asked for a flavor that no baker had in their recipie box. - White Chocolate sponge cake with pears.

BeckiSou22 Posts : 65 Registered: 3/27/09
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 9:18 PM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

Mines going to be about $500 for 120 people, and the place that's doing it makes you and exact replica of the top layer for free on your 1st anniversary!!

MrsWilliams2008 Posts : 1,431 Registered: 7/19/07
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 10:08 PM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

it was a square, 3-tiered cake for 200 people. She made another tier and packaged it separately for us to keep. It cost $400. It was a simple butter recipe. The cake was made by a lady who does cakes on the side. Here's the picture (on our cake, the ribbon was real and dark gold and the flowers were fake and dark gold):

Poster Formerly Known as beauti381

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/RyAnne Stafford&RobertWilliams, Jr

Happily Married since June 21, 2008

Happy Together since June 20, 1994

TRACYJOHNSONBRA... Posts : 42 Registered: 2/8/09
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 5:28 AM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

I had got a simple 2 tier cake from a local Albertson's grocery store for about $204 including delivery. It served 48. It had buttercream frosting with purple rose and dot accents. I got the topper at Michaels for under $12 because of a 40% off coupon. For the groom's cake, my DH likes German Chocolate so we got a 1/2 sheet cake at Albertson's for $17.99 and stuck an little matchbox cab on top (he is a cab driver). I'm not sure how much that fed but my parents still have both kind's of cake in their freezer.

LilTuffGirl Posts : 301 Registered: 11/4/08
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 10:56 AM Go to message in response to: MrsWilliams2008

Nice!
I found a place that will do the cake a bit cheaper and i've heard from a lot of people they taste awesome. But they don't do fondant and it's only like $20 cheaper. For some odd reason I really want fondant. I like how clean it looks. I might drive down there and take a look at their stuff anyways but don't know about it. I can't belive i'm being so picky about a cake. lol when I started I said it was all going to be cheap and simple. Now I keep wanting it decently priced and nice. Just like chair covers. At first I didn't give a damn and now I can't say no to them. I keep trying to find a cheaper way to get them.

http://www.ezticker.com/ticker/1642/214/20090829/our+wedding/ticker.png

True love never lives happily ever after - true love has no ending

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine