FH lost his job

Online Users: 1,361 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 26

CountryPrincess Posts : 673 Registered: 9/25/08
FH lost his job
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 2:16 PM

I know that things are hard for people everywhere. Right now though, I feel like things couldn't get any worse for me. I just need a place to spill out my fears. Maybe get some advice & some prayers.

FH works in food. He will one day have a "real" job but right now we're in college. He has been with OC (a restaraunt) since July of 2008 when they opened for business. He has worked long and hard for them ever since. They were constantly training him on new things in the kitchen and giving him a raise. I lost my job in January and it has hurt our wallet ever since. But we were managing to live off of FHs paycheck. Well, last night he lost his job. The manager said that "times were hard". I'm frustrated and don't understand why FH got cut. He's been there longer than any of the other workers in the kitchen. He was even set up to take on assistant kitchen manager in the fall. In February they had cut his hours from 40 to 25 because the business was slow. Now they fired him because times are hard. But the people who have only been there a month or two didn't get fired. FH thinks its because they aren't paid as much.

I'm terrified ladies. I don't know what to do. I've been job hunting since January and still haven't found anything. As soon as FH lost his job yesterday he came home, printed off a resume, and started driving around town. Today he's going to the career center which has an online list of all the places hiring in our area. We live in a smaller town (not tiny, but not a big city). So when a job does open up, a BUNCH of people are applying for it. Everyone I've applied for there were at least 15 others applying too. We have absolutely no source of income now. I just paid off all the bills for March & two of the bills for April. FH got paid Tuesday and it was $200. Our phone bill is due in two weeks and its $140. FH should get one final paycheck after this but it won't be anymore than $100. I don't know how we're going to afford rent, food, gas or pay our bills. I've got $1,000 in savings. That will last us about a month. Our rent is $725 and our utilities are usually around $125. We've already done the things like unplug electronics, turn off lights, turn down the water heater, etc... to lower our utility bill. It used to be about $200 a month.

I just...I'm terrifed. There's no other way to put it. We may not have a roof over our heads much longer and I'm not sure how we're going to afford anything. I have been looking for a job every single day since I got fired. All my experiance is in retail or childcare though, neither of which is hiring in our town. Since FHs experiance is in food, he may find a job easier since there are a few food places in town hiring. FH thinks we should get a roommate to cut down costs but I feel weird doing that if we're possibly going to lose our house soon.

I don't think there's really any advice that can be given. My credit is good enough to take out a loan, but the last thing I want to do right now is put myself in debt. Especially if I can't make payments to the bank. Please ladies, just pray for us.

"I don't care how much it hurts. I don't care if its a brick wall disaster. I'd rather fight with you everday than be happy for one second with anyone else." <3

Kevin & Mari: 11/09/06 to Forever.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: FH lost his job
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 2:31 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

Dear KJs girl,

I really feel for you. It's cold comfort, I know, to hear that you are not alone. In this economy, everyone is hurting.

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but here are the "standard" job hunting tips:

Make sure your resume is picture-perfect. Go to resume writing websites and look at what is new and modern for today's market. Check for spelling and grammatical errors.

Go beyond your immediate area. You are renters, thus, can pack up and move if offered a job in another town.

Make job hunting your full time job. Get up, get dressed, then sit at the computer all day, looking. Consider internships, temp-to-hire, etc.

Look outside your immediate job skills.

Apply immediately for unemployment benefits and see what social services are offered.

You truly, truly have my best wishes. I know you're scared, and you should be. You are not alone.

LisaSummerBride2B Posts : 126 Registered: 8/10/08
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 2:32 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

I think you're doing everything you and your FH can do to get a job. I know you said that you might be losing your house but is it possible to get a roommate for a couple months in order to keep it? It would help out on the rent while you get back up on your feet.

I am sending good vibes, prayers and thoughts your way. I am sorry you're going through this and that FH was fired over people who haven't worked there for very long. It's frustrating but please don't lose hope!

-Lisa-
Deployment survivor!

wedding websites

DoesntPlayNice Posts : 809 Registered: 12/17/08
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 2:51 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

I just said a prayer for you! I am sorry yall are going through this. Take ANY job you can...even if it is working at Mcdonalds. BUT keep looking after that...its easier to find a job when you have a job!

Previously Posted as Military Bride.

Back from Iraq and ready to switch out the ACU's for a Wedding Dress!

TheNewMrsJ Posts : 754 Registered: 1/6/08
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 2:51 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

ouch! that's never good to hear! have either of you tried putting resumes up on monster.com and careerbuilder.com? I know when I was first looking for a job with my degree i was checking on there regularly, as well as the local paper. they actually had some good jobs posted - so don't just post on those sites, but actually search through them. id say at this point, if either of you can get just parttime jobs in food or retail, go for it - a paycheck is a paycheck and right now, in times like these, you gotta take what you can get!

DH had a good friend at work recently get the axe - the guy had been with the company for 8 years, working in the IT dept, but they decided they didn't need as many people in that dept as they had and could costs by eliminating some of them. They were going by senority and offering a buyout package (the amount offered was based on how long you had been there) if they would be willing to quit - he needed 3-4 people out of 10 or so ahead of him to take it so he could stay, but they didn't... it was like 1 short. his last day was last week. he's been looking for a job for over a month now with no luck - he has to sell house now too, as without a job he can't afford the mortgage and bills for it. Another friend of his and DH's offered to let him live in their basement they're remodeling, which I know at one point he was actually considering. It really sucks.

This other guy I know - we had major classes in college together and he recommended me as his replacement for the job i have now, as he felt he wasn't making enough here and wanted to be able to afford his own place, a new car and a ring for his gf (now fiance). he got a job for some factory his dad had senority in and so i took his old job since it was closer to where i moved and quit my other job (which paid about the same and looking back was much more fun, but the commute with last summer's gas prices wasn't worth it). That was back in June/July. They changed his hours around on him a few months back, so rather than morning/afternoon hours, he was working afternoons/evenings. Then a few weeks ago they put on 3rd shift. He got the news last week they were laying him off. He's getting married in July too and I dont know what his fiance does for a job. He wanted to move closer to her, so maybe this'll give him an opportunity to find a job in her town (shes like 45min away) - if i still had my old job (i worked both for awhile) id gladly let him have this job back as it's boring and i hate it - he still has a good relationship with my bosses too. But I don't - I just have the one job now and while it often sucks, it's still a paycheck!

Everytime i start complaining about my job, i have to remind myself that. Until DH gets moved up to fulltime, i still have to keep steadily contributing to our income.

Good luck though! I hope you find something, anything!

Friends since December 1997, together since December 2006
September 13, 2008 I legally became his and he became mine.

MovieBits - your source for reviews, news and more!
www.moviebits.blogspot.com

brownegirl Posts : 523 Registered: 10/14/08
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 3:36 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

I am so sorry you are going through this right now. I am sending my prayers and best wishes that you two find something soon.

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 3:54 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

KJ's, I'm sorry to hear about FH job.....
He should also check out the temp agencies. I worked as a temp for 3 years, my hubby worked as a temp for about a year before he got hired on at his current job.

Something will come up for the both of you.

Good Luck & hugs!

Posted: Apr 2, 2009 4:08 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

Ladies,

A few other things I thought of since:

Make sure your email address is professional. You don't want "hotsexymamma @ something.com" or worse.

Go through your social networking sites and get rid of any non-professional photos / writings, etc. Employers do look through those sites. You don't want "here's the night we got drunk" stuff out there.

Consider LinkedIn, which is a social networking site for professionals. See if you can get a a really good photo of yourself, in business clothing, and then put that up on LinkedIn. Look at other people's profiles and to see what's the most impressive. I actually got my hair done before getting my LinkedIn photo.

I just talked to one of our hiring managers. She reminded me of some other basic stuff:

Be sure to show up on time, and dressed appropriately, for your interviews. You want to look like the ideal candidate. Don't bring anyone with you.

Hair should be neatly arranged, and off your face. Men should have short hair. Women's hair should be pulled back, if long, and off the collar. (Bear in mind that ours is a financial firm, and financial firms tend to be very conservative.)

Tattoos and any "weird" piercings should be out of sight. In our company, we do not even allow tattoos or weird piercings to be covered by a band-aid. We allow visible piercing in a female's earlobe, only, but not on males at all, and nothing on the face.

Obviously, different dress codes apply to different industries and jobs. No one would blink an eye at a visible tattoo in a warehouse or construction environment. The best thing is to look like the ideal candidate.

We2Heart Posts : 452 Registered: 10/11/07
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 4:43 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

Oh gosh KJs, that is awful. I'm so sorry that had to happen to you. Aunt mentioned collecting unemployment. Have you applied yet? That should help you stay afloat for a little, but of course, its never enough. Do you have anyone that might be able to help you?

The job hunt is hard. I know how you feel. But now that your FH is unemployed also, maybe consider moving somewhere else? Somewhere there may be more opportunities and you aren't competeing against 15 people for the same position. Have you tried looking for different opportunities outside of your experience? Another poster mentioned temp jobs. That's something to look into in the mean time. At this point any income would help.

Good luck!! I wish you the best during these rough times.

~~~~~~~~
together is a perfect place to be because it's there that you can be delightfully imperfect. and there's nothing closer to perfection than being loved just because you are. 

MrsMcCain Posts : 580 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 4:52 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

KJ's have you considered filing for unemployment? I dont know what the laws are around your area regarding that but it's probably worth looking into. If someone files for unemployment here then they can normally get it for up to 6 months- that would buy you guys some time until you each found a new job.

cdub09 Posts : 15 Registered: 2/15/09
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 5:42 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

I hear ya! I lost my job almost a year ago and am unable to find another one, it seems as if I'm always searching. Last week my FH's grandfather passed away and we had to fly back home for the memorial service. Had to use the money for the truck payment for plane tickets. My FH worked 1 day last week and found out today that he has been laid off. So we are both very stressed out, as with a lot of people are these days.
Here's to hoping everything will look up for everyone.

Posted: Apr 2, 2009 6:03 PM Go to message in response to: cdub09

Thank you everyone for the support and the suggestions. I haven't researched unemployment yet because I wasn't sure if FH qualified. I know I don't because I worked as a nanny which isn't covered by unemployment. I'll have to look into the benefits for FH though.

Keep praying ladies, I think its working! Today I emailed a woman who needs a part time nanny. It only pays $90/week but right now any source of income is good income. Plus the hours are flexible so if I find another job, I'll be able to work there as well. The woman emailed me back and said that I seemed "very qualified" and she was "excited to meet me." I have an interview set up for Saturday. Hopefully that will come through.

Please keep praying ladies! And any suggestions you can come up with would be great. We have expanded our job search to the towns surrounding us that are within a 45 minute drive. Unfortunately, we can't go further than that because FH and I are both in college.

Thank you again everyone.

PS: I know a couple of you said you're struggling as well and are in similiar situations. My thoughts & prayers are with you!

"I don't care how much it hurts. I don't care if its a brick wall disaster. I'd rather fight with you everday than be happy for one second with anyone else." <3

Posted: Apr 2, 2009 6:24 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

Dear KJs Girl,

" I haven't researched unemployment yet because I wasn't sure if FH qualified."

Apply anyway. What's the worst that can happen? They turn him or you down? What have you got to lose?

I'm serious about that. There are all kinds of programs for unemployed people these days. I just listened to a podcast on that very subject last week. Getting everything you are legally and ethically entitled to is part of the job search process.

One good (ha ha) thing is that when you look for a new job, you don't have to do a lot of explaining about why you were laid off. When times are good, people usually get fired if they are doing a bad job. These days, plenty of good, honest, hard-working people are getting fired and laid off through no fault of their own. Thus, you need only say "I was laid off due to lack of business in my previous job due to the poor economy" and most people will be OK with that.

Keep focused on your goal. I know it's tough. I truly do.

Posted: Apr 2, 2009 6:30 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Thanks AOTB. I went to Missouri's unemployment website. FH is out job hunting right now. When he gets home tonight we're going to sit down together and make an online claim for him. He isn't very good with paperwork and there is A LOT of paperwork invovled with unemployment. But I'm totally willing to help him. We are after all, a team.

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 7:25 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

Mari~ I am so sorry to hear about Kevin!! My brother just went through the same thing. He was the night manager at a gas station chain around here and they went through and laid off all the managers and hired people they could pay less and offer NO benifits to. He house a house to pay for, and a daughter to take care of. My thoughts are with you hun! Along with all the other suggestions try posting an add on craigslist saying here are my qualifications ect.....I was laid off from my job in Jan 08 and it took me until August to get anything, and it was a reply to my posting on Craigslist. I hope things work out for you!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine