Hot man, Hot pans!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 3

NatashaG Posts : 2 Registered: 2/19/09
Hot man, Hot pans!
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 7:54 PM

Do any of you spend time in front of the cook top with your fiance? Baking is my passion, but I'm finding that we both need to learn more about cooking fast, healthy dinners. I've been looking for online info and stumbled on this site: http://www.mixingbowl.com/grp/CouplesWhoCookTogether. Any other good resources you know of for heating things up in the kitchen?

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: Hot man, Hot pans!
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 3:52 PM Go to message in response to: NatashaG

I tend to throw my husband out of the kitchen when I'm cooking as he gets underfoot and then stands there with no clue. Also, we have a HUGE kitchen, but very little counter space. So if he does anything, it's make a salad and I set him up to sit at the kitchen table to do that.

However, he also sets the table when we have company and does all the clean, including loading and unloading the dishwasher.

So I'm not complaining too loudly. He also eats leftovers, so I try and cook a little more for him to have if I won't be home so he's less inclined to get pizza.

triciam Posts : 128 Registered: 2/19/09
Posted: Apr 1, 2009 8:31 PM Go to message in response to: NatashaG

My fiance and I are pretty good about working together in the kitchen. He actually does a lot of the cooking but what we do is separate the duties- he maybe working on the main dish and I'll do the sides like the veggies, salad etc. His 18 yr old son even said something how its kinda cool how we do that kind of stuff together.

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 11:11 AM Go to message in response to: triciam

FH & I always cook dinner together when we are together for supper. We are long distance during the school year and then live together during the summer but almost every night we spend it together in the kitchen.

I think it's a great way to bond and to spend time together. Both of us are very passionate about cooking, I am still considering culinary school and he wants to become a restauranteur. I think it's a great time to get a little creative. Try things you normally wouldn't try together. For example, I went to visit FH and I get there and he has bought some pizza dough because he wants us to make some pizzas. We made a guacomole and ended up using that for a sauce instead of tomato sauce, sprinkled it with cheese and sauteed sweet onions. Probably the best pizza I have ever had. Another night we made a seafood pizza and made a stuffed crust of cheese and dill and then topped it off with salmon and red peppers.

It's my favourite thing to do with FH. To just go into our kitchen with no idea of what we are going to make that night and just wing it and create a fantastic and unique meal. We always feel so good afterwards and sometimes write down what we made so that we can remember it. Of course, there is the occasional miss (our homemade Onion Bhajis were soooo bad)

But great places to start are simpler things, the first thing I ever started getting creative with was making my homemade bbq sauce and then alfredo sauce and then tomato sauce. I think that taking a classic favourite and tweeking it to your own standards and being able to say "I legitimately made that myself." is something that can appeal to a lot of people, it definitely got my FH into the kitchen. "Hey Babe, I want to make a bbq sauce tonight, want to make one with me, you can make it however you want." It just gets them excited.

Create special "nights." Like let FH know that, that night is going to be pizza night. Get a premade dough and a bunch of fresh toppings and you guys can make your own custom made pizza. Have "bbq night" where you get a variety of different things and grill them up. Have "Indian night" where you guys practice making a simple curry from any simple recipe that you can find on the internet, and then if you want adding things and taking things away until it becomes your OWN curry. FH and I like to have themes. One week we decided to always use alcohol so every night we had to come up with a different way to use it in our cooking. One night we cooked our pasta in red wine instead of water, one night we sauteed salmon in tequila, one night we made a red wine sauce for some steak, one night we made risotto and used white wine... All of it ends up with this fantastic outcome and it's not challenging what so ever (well risotto kind of was). Having themes sort of forces you to be creative and having challenges always make it kind of exciting.

Anyways, it works for FH and I!

Edited by: BrighterThanSunshine on Apr 6, 2009 11:11 AM

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine