groom's cake

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

anfeesgirl Posts : 25 Registered: 1/25/09
groom's cake
Posted: Mar 29, 2009 3:57 PM

my boy is a huge beer fanatic and i am trying my hardest to make sure he has a beer mug groom's cake.
if anyone else is thinking about getting their man a groom's cake, i wanna hear ideas! and maybe any advice as to how i could get a totally awesome cake to look like a clear mug of beer.

Amy...

On May 8th, 2010, I will be Mrs. Anthony J. Fiore!

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Re: groom's cake
Posted: Mar 29, 2009 9:21 PM Go to message in response to: anfeesgirl

Anfee's.... if you could find a GIANT MUG, you could put a cover on it and put the cake on the top.... sort of like the head of the beer, and you could put some sort of cellophane in the mug to simulate the beer.

Misty

AngeArmani Posts : 56 Registered: 3/29/09
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 12:47 AM Go to message in response to: anfeesgirl

hmmm...I'm more of a cake topper expert than a cake expert, but I might have something up my sleeve.

I assume you want the whole cake to be edible...so, might I suggest for the mug: hardened sugar or toffee syrup that has been heated then dried solid. It will come in three separate parts: the cylinder, the bottom and the handle You will need to glue these separate parts in the end with liquid sugar. The most difficult part is shaping it in a cylindrical fashion. You may need to find a cylinder shaped object--like a big rolling pin--and line it with baking paper as well to prevent the sugar from sticking to it.

Pour the liquified sugar onto a seperate piece of baking paper, flatten and spread out, then allow it to become gooey and pliable. Then 'roll' the warm sugar against the contour shape of the cylinder object and let it set hard. Detach the hardened sugar from the cylinder object.

You will also need a circular cookie cutter shape for the base of the mug and pour liquified sugar into that, or cut out the circle shape manually. You can then 'glue' the hardened cylinder to the hardened circular base with more liquid sugar. The same thing goes with attaching the handle--although you may have to sculpt the handle into shape. Hey Presto! a transparent mug you can eat!. It may be succeptible to cracking(depending on how thick the mug is)

The filling is up to you--perhaps an orange tinted jelly or apricot jam to resemble beer?
The froth is the easist part--whipped cream or marhmallows?

All the best,
Angela Armani

My very own personal blog! It's all about cake toppers! weird huh?

http://ultimateweddingtopperguide.blogspot.com/

Please do! I'm interested in your thoughts!Laughing

DoesntPlayNice Posts : 809 Registered: 12/17/08
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 3:01 PM Go to message in response to: AngeArmani

I used google for this...I couldnt find any clear ones but here is the link Beer Mug

At the place I was going to get my cake from they had a cake that looked like an icebucket with a few beer bottles coming out of it. Beer Bottle Cake

Previously Posted as Military Bride.

Back from Iraq and ready to switch out the ACU's for a Wedding Dress!

anfeesgirl Posts : 25 Registered: 1/25/09
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 4:50 PM Go to message in response to: DoesntPlayNice

thank you all so much, they are fantastic ideas! and thanks for the pics too!

Amy...

On May 8th, 2010, I will be Mrs. Anthony J. Fiore!

WaitingToBHis Posts : 28 Registered: 2/16/09
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 8:10 PM Go to message in response to: anfeesgirl

I had not even thought about a groom's cake yet (wedding still a year away), but I LOVE the idea of a beer mug cake!! Thanks for giving me ideas about something I had not even thought about!!

Best of luck to you.
wedding tickers

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: Apr 1, 2009 2:13 PM Go to message in response to: WaitingToBHis

I had a cigar cake made for my DH's groom cake as he is a cigar fanatic. Everyone loved it. Now that he's graduating college this June, I am having a beer cake made for him. It's going to be a beer bottle that's faced down flat and it's going to look like his favorite bottle of beer...Wee Heavy. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Just Married...9.20.08

Formerly BenjaminsBride 

MsMeghann Posts : 147 Registered: 3/4/08
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 4:40 PM Go to message in response to: BenjaminsWife

That's so cute. I had never really heard of a groom's cake until I moved to VA two years ago. Anway, since we can't bring in any outside food to our venue, I am going to surprise FH with an Auburn University logo cake at our rehearsal dinner since he went to Auburn and loooooooves it. He thinks he's out of luck, but little does he know the trick up my sleeve! :)

~~~~~~~~~***~~~~~~~~~
Soon to be Mrs. Scherrer
www.MattandMeghann.com

Tofu Posts : 66 Registered: 4/2/09
Posted: Jun 24, 2009 7:34 PM Go to message in response to: MsMeghann

Is the groom's cake supposed to be a surprise?

Cool

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Jun 24, 2009 7:50 PM Go to message in response to: Tofu

Tofu, it doesnt really matter honestly. There are no real rules or protocol with a Grooms Cake. Some people have it as a surprise for the Groom, some people have it not at the wedding but at the Rehearsal Dinner or Bachelor Party, and some people dont have one at all or have never even heard of a Grooms Cake. Its an old tradition that gives the groom a small part of the wedding with his own cake, since its always said that most of the wedding is all about the bride. So, if youd like to surprise him, then go ahead and have the venue bring out maybe the Wedding Cake first, then the Grooms Cake a bit after, or together. Just do it however you want and have fun with it!

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

See our funny Wedding Wed-isode @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OokYNI91ztU&NR=1

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for standup comedy clips,sketches,and more @ www.youtube.com/kelleyfunnylady

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"Children are just like adults, minus the crushing failure." - Stephen Colbert

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 13, 2012 7:45 AM Go to message in response to: anfeesgirl
RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine