Having the Rings Made

Online Users: 1,253 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

robinrolex Posts : 6 Registered: 3/3/09
Having the Rings Made
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 7:36 AM

Given the current economic circumstances, we're wondering if having our rings made ourselves would be more cost-efficient than purchasing a new ring.

How much do you think we'd be looking at to buy the diamonds for this ring?

www.platin-ice.com/OnlineShop.aspx?PId=180

Edited by: robinrolex on Mar 31, 2009 7:38 AM

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Re: Having the Rings Made
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 12:30 PM Go to message in response to: robinrolex

If you're trying to save money, buying pre-made rings seems like a cheaper alternative than having them custom-made. That way, you don't have to pay a jeweler to design your rings AND to do the work, on top of the cost of the materials.

That's just my thoughts on the matter. Custom-made jewelry isn't as expensive as people think it is, but I doubt you'll save money - if anything, it'll be a little more expensive.

As for the cost of loose diamonds, it depends on the size and quality of the stone. I'd look online at Blue Nile or something like that to get an idea about how much you'd pay for stones of different qualities.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 12:44 PM Go to message in response to: robinrolex

if you want to save half of what you'd pay at a chain jeweler maybe check craigslist people are always selling sets for half the price of what they could be purchased for. the jewelry could always be serviced at the store, cleaned, repolished, whatever it needs.

MrsRicecake Posts : 700 Registered: 2/2/08
Posted: Apr 1, 2009 1:02 AM Go to message in response to: FALLbrideINLOVE

Having your rings made will cost you at least double what it will cost buying them from a store. I had my band made, but I worked at a jewelry store and got it really cheap...it cost $500 which is what it would have cost to buy one. If I hadnt worked there, it would have been $35 per diamond (I have 15) and 1000 just for the gold and labor.

Married Since December 27, 2008!

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Apr 1, 2009 8:48 PM Go to message in response to: MrsRicecake

We are having ours made, because to be perfectly honest, with the style of ring we wanted -- Celtic -- and because of my ring size -- 3.75. We are not having diamonds on the band -- just laser-engraving. They are actually less than the other Celtic rings that we saw on line, and they are designed by us. Our quote included the cost of the interior engraving also. Unfortunately, because my ring is a size 3.75.... we can pretty much have MCJ - 9/26/09

Misty

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine