A Friendly Forum for Young Brides.

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 2,746

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Re: A Friendly Forum for Young Brides.
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 1:02 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

KJ* Considering your theme and wanting to look like a princess, I would hardly consider 1000 dollars as ridiculous! I'm trying to think of something for your BMs...I keep thinking of something to do with ribbons or like...hmm...I have to keep thinking

Carrot* I just wanted to say that your engagement ring is SO cool. I love atypical engagement rings!

Autumn* Oh my goodness Florida is coming up so soon! I am so excited for you! It sucks that you actually bought a parking pass, those are so damn expensive! I walk everywhere. I didn't even get my drivers license because I never saw the point, I just walk and take the bus everywhere. Now I feel as though I should get one though...it's kind of convenient to be able to drive...

Rose* From reading your post I just remembered a previous post you had written before when you started another thread, about your boyfriend working in Japan and you feeling it was unfair and you asked opinions. So what are the plans for this summer?

I also met Greg in the summer and also thought it would be a summer fling. Around the end of summer we decided "why not try make it work?" I think for the first week or so, despite talking everyday on the phone, we weren't so sure but a week later he came to visit me and then there was no way we were going to give up. Both of us work at a resort during the summer and so we live together during the summer and we see each other about every other week during the school year even though this is the third weekend I have gone without seeing him. I will see him next weekend though. Our schools are about a 10 hr bus ride apart from each other and cost about $250 but it is so worth it, even though I am so poor! He first started talking in "when we live together..." "when our kids..." "when we get married..." about 6 months into the relationship. It kind of scared me at first but I started loving that he did that pretty fast. I think he even started talking like that before he said "I love you" haha. He did start talking about engagements and what girl wouldn't love that? I got so excited and went on this website and found this community but then realized that we are moving a bit too fast. Maybe in a year or two I will get engaged and then a year or two after that get married. I am only 19...turning 20 soon. I do want to still be young when I get married but have no problem with it being 24 vs being 21.

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 1:25 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Ug the roads are still nasty!! I hope Audra doesn't have to go anywhere...Its supposed to be much worse where she is!! It took a half hour to dig out my car and pick the ice off of it, then it took about an hour to get FH to work, and me to work, defantly shouldn't have taken that long!! It bearly looks like they have plowed anything!! On the news last night they're all oh no worries the city will have 83 plows out over night.... All well!!

KJ~ I looked under girlie wands I belive.......

thecarrotflower Posts : 34 Registered: 9/8/07
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 3:03 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

Hello everyone!
Thanks on your input on the wedding band. I think Ben hit the nail on the head when he picked the engagement ring! I found a sight today that sold overstock rings (www.overstock.com) and all of the rings were really pretty and really cheap. I found one really similar to the one I put up for only $135 I was amazed! So Ben and I are going to look through the sight today and see if we can find one for him that he likes and see what the return policy is. But for any of you trying to do a wedding on a low budget going to overstock.com is a good idea it has so many nice things for very little money.

KJ- I was thinking about the whole fairytale theme and had a few ideas.
#1 in beauty and the beast the single rose is very much symbolic of falling in love so maybe have them each hold a single rose
#2 In Snow white the witch poisons snow white with a red rose that can only be kissed by loves first kiss. Maybe try incorporating a few small crab apples with daisies or something
#3 In Cinderella she rides a pumpkin to the ball, maybe you could have them hold miniature pumpkins with a small wreath of flowers
#4 Also in Cinderella the glass slipper is really important so I don't know how but maybe try incorporating something like that.
As with many fairytale themes incorporating things like feathers and lace and ribbon is easy and inexpensive if you but them at craft stores.
The thing with having a fairytale theme is that all the bridesmaids can hold something different. That could look really neat!

Nessa- I hope you and your FH were able to cuddle up and enjoy the warmth of each others company during that blizzard!

Rose- Sounds like you and FH have a really strong connection. I love hearing stories about how people met! It is so nice to hear little love stories!

Autum- I have always wanted a short engagement and I told Ben before he ever proposed that I wanted him to propose no longer than nine months from when he would want to get married! I just am not someone who is good at waiting. I think it is fine to not live together before you get married, you have been together for two years and you know each other well it may be more difficult in some ways but you love each other and will be able to make it through that! Either way you are going to get married to the man of your dreams and things will be fine!

Brighter- I had yet to hear your story and I have been on here for some time. It was nice to hear how you and Greg met! I think being 24 still is young most people are waiting well into their 30's before they get married now a days! I want to have all my children before I am 30.(For many reasons hard to explain and I have already wrote so much!) So to me being 24 when you get married is just fine!

Autumnalis2010 Posts : 133 Registered: 1/12/09
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 4:23 PM Go to message in response to: thecarrotflower

MrsChambers Posts : 14 Registered: 2/2/09
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 5:19 PM Go to message in response to: thecarrotflower

Hey Rose!

Today is not a good day. Yesterday Kevin and I had a fight. I swear we fight over the little things. The disagreements started right after we got engaged. This year has been ruff year for both of us. It started with his transmission dying in his car. He is in the process of looking for a new job. And old hospital bills is haunting him. I blame the fighting on stress. So this is how the fight started. Yesterday he said he wanted to start giving his 10%. We are both Christians and we believe that we should give 10% of our earnings to the church or people in need. I agree with him but I asked him if he could wait. Wait until we get back into church. I just think we should start from the beginning. Go back to church, start reading the bible, ect. He was offended. I thought we should wait becasue we have our priorties we need to get in order. The fight got so bad he left the house and spent the night over his Aunts house. I haven't talked to him today. So this is my question.....

1. Should I have just went along with Kevin? Let him give his 10% whenever he wants.
2. Do u think that he should have compormised with me? I asked him to wait until we get our things together before we start giving our 10%.
3. We need counseling becasue we are arguing over little things? Or this is a faze and it will pass.

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 5:50 PM Go to message in response to: MrsChambers

Carrot* You are smart to think of different fairytales and their romantic symbols. I didn't even think like that! Genius. I just keep thinking of like wands and things. Don't know why! I had never heard of that website, good thing you found out! Hope it works out for you!

Nessa* I can't believe the snow is so bad! I live in CANADA and it is nice here!

Autumn* I know, I know...I should get my license. I got my G1 right away and then went driving and drove into a ditch and have been kind of scarred. I got so used to just being driven around and walking everywhere that I didn't see the need and now I do. And once you put it off for a while, it's like you never get around to it! There is never a convenient time to start learning, I have so much school and stress and then work in the summer where I have no access to a car or to lessons or anything. I think my friend is going to teach me this upcoming September but I am scared!

KJ* PS. I forgot to mention that I thought it was sooo cute/funny that you took notes to do a reply, I always find myself wishing I did that!

Mrs Chambers* Oh I'm so sorry that you have been fighting. Greg and I have just gotten in our first few spats and they were just so difficult to go through.
Okay this is my two cents on the situation. First off, I want to say that I think it is great that you guys feel that you should give 10% of your earnings to a good cause! What a humanitarian thing to do, that's fantastic. But I also agree with you that the timing has to be right. You have to be making enough money that you can be comfortable and happy on 90% of your earnings and right now with the recession, it is a good time to be very careful with your money and not giving it away (even though giving it is such a selfless thing to do.) Also, you two are engaged, it is time to start thinking in terms of "our money" instead of "your money" and "my money." So I think that you definitely had the right to step in and speak your opinion about where your money is going.
Depending on whether you are stressed in your relationship or stressed with life happenings in general, that is how you should decide about counselling. If you think that you two are stressed and unhappy with one another right now, I would do couples counselling. If you two are stressed with things going on in life, maybe just individual counselling where you two go separately will relax both of you and make both of you happier in general. Personally I am not one for counselling, I like to do it my own way and I have never been so I can't really promote the idea myself, but I know that it has helped so many people in my life. I would probably apologize to Kevin for the fight getting out of hand but not for speaking your opinion. You two should sit down and talk about it like mature and rational adults which I am sure both of you are! Good luck and keep us posted on what happens!

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 7:16 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Happy Friday! :)

KJ- How has the internet search for your dress been going? I don't know anything about having dresses custom made by a seamstress, but would that be a possibility or would it be way too expensive? I thought you looked lovely in both dresses, by the way! And the fairytale ideas from Carrot are great! Apple branches with blossoms and apples would be pretty, or even just a solitary apple, as well as the pumpkins. leeping Beauty had that spinning wheel, but that's not very romantic, lol.

Autumn- Congrats on being so close to your masters! I wish I could start earning mine but I don't know what I would choose. I'm a biology major (formerly genetics, then realized I hated working in a lab and chemistry is the bane of my existence) who figured out late in the game that I enjoy working outside, in a dynamic environment, and really like education. Hence the TESOL certificate I'm now working on, which will allow me to travel AND teach, but only for a few years (I think) until I come back to the U.S. to "settle down," have children, and go back to school for...something, lol.

Brighter- Long distance relationships that started as summer flings, messed up divorced parents, visions of carefree outdoor weddings, what else do we have in common?! Ten hours on a bus and $250 SUCKS, that's awesome that you guys can make it work. How have the phone conversations been going lately? And yeah, your memory is correct about my post on Japan. I'll write more about that later though, this is already getting pretty long!

Carrot- Thanks, happy stories are always fun. How did you and your FH meet?

Nessa- How is the weather today? Did you get to enjoy a snow day? I hope so!

MrsChambers- Sorry to hear you and FH got into a fight, those are never fun. I think it's very generous that you guys want to donate to the church, but you have a valid point. Could you compromise and maybe start by donating 5% instead of 10% right now? Some churches (or at least the Catholic ones where I grew up, though I don't really follow it anymore) offer or require pre-marriage counseling, is that an option at your church?

NatashaAB Posts : 353 Registered: 10/6/08
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 11:32 PM Go to message in response to: Rose217

MrsChambers- Fights are never fun but I believe they strengthen your relationship as long as you can resolve them. I think you are right that the timing should be right when you decide to give your 10%.

Nessa- I cant believe your weather is so awful! I didnt even need to wear a jacket here because it was so nice today! I hope the snow goes away and never comes back!

KJ- I think the wand idea is really cute! Look into it!

So, today, I went to visit my little cousin and she decided to draw on my WHITE sweater in ORANGE marker. I hope it comes out! It's an expensive sweater. I just kind of brushed it off but if it doesnt come out, I am going to cry. I went all the way to Texas for that sweater.

I have a date tomorrow! I am really excited because it is not with anyone connected to my past. Someone new and I havent been so excited for a date in like ages! He's really cute but such a nice guy and he makes me laugh and I have barely spent much time with him!

Nat (21) 

What is meant to be, will be.

Posted: Mar 28, 2009 12:33 AM Go to message in response to: NatashaAB

Natasha* Oh my goodness! Kids are such rascals sometime! You should have gotten soda water on that STAT. I don't know what kind of material the sweater is but could you bleach it? Also, I can't wait to hear about your date! That's so exciting! He sounds great.

Rose* The phone conversations are getting better. I did just get off the phone with him about half an hour ago and we talked for about an hour and a half. But I think I only talked to him about 2 other times today, so that was fine. Once around 12 and then again around 5 and then around 10:30. So they were decently spaced out and I didn't get that "oh my god...not again!" feeling that I sometimes get. I was really busy today so I stated that I wouldn't really be able to talk until the evening in the first talk but then he was like "well i will just call you later than" and i was like "uhh...when?" and he was like "after my test which is at 3:30?" So that was fine. I am hoping that through this time when we are really busy, he will understand that we can't talk as much and then talking 2 or 3 times a day will just become routine rather than the 8-10 times it started to become! Thanks for asking! I have some questions later about TESOL and stuff but I have to get to bed!

Hope all you ladies are doing great!

Wonder how Audra is doing...

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Mar 28, 2009 1:36 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Hey girls!! No we didn't get our snow day.....but we did get a late start. That makes me laugh Canada was having better weather than us, but than again that is Colorado.....70 degress one day and 2 feet of snow the next. I will try and post a pic of my patio......the Snow was just about to the seat of the chair outside, and on the seat it was just about pass the top of the arms!!!
MrsChamber~ I am sorry to hear about your fight.....FH and I have been fighting about money like crazy and it is really starting to bother me. We have been together a little over 2 years and have never fought untill recently and its ALWAYS over money!!

Natasha~ Have fun on your date...That sucks what your little cousin did! Little kids can be cute....but really hard to deal with....

Ugh I wish money wasn't such a huge issue. FH is all bummed because he didn't get a job he applied for. He thinks we both need to get second jobs so we can pull off his wedding and buying a house.......I hate how much stress it is causing between us. I just want to call off the whole wedding......but I think my parents who are paying for a mojority of it would not be to happy with me.

CountryPrincess Posts : 673 Registered: 9/25/08
Posted: Mar 28, 2009 4:49 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

Hi Girls,
I'm sorry but I don't remember much of anything that I read.
Natasha: I hope you can fix your white shirt!
Nessa: Sorry you guys are stressed for money. I know the feeling and it sucks.
Thanks to everyone for BM ideas.

I found some various ideas but for BM bouquets but they weren't any cheaper than just using flowers. So I'm still looking. Last night I was at a big party so I'm kind of foggy today. Plus school starts again on Monday so I'm trying to get things in order.

"I don't care how much it hurts. I don't care if its a brick wall disaster. I'd rather fight with you everday than be happy for one second with anyone else." <3

Kevin & Mari: 11/09/06 to Forever.

MrsChambers Posts : 14 Registered: 2/2/09
Posted: Mar 28, 2009 5:29 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

KJ- It's raining cats and dogs today. KJ what part of Missouri do u stay? Is it raining in your area? I hope it doesn't snow 2night. Kevin took me to work today because he knows I hate driving in the snow.
P.S. I love the idea of a themed wedding. Are u going for a Cinderella theme or a Princess?

Natasha- I would do anything for a little sun right now... How did your date go? Was it a romantic date, laid back, up tight? I'm dying for details :-)

Nessa- OMG. I totally understand what u are going threw. Weddings are nothing but a BIG bill.

Update on my life- Kevin came back home last night. We talked and came to and understanding. I told him that we need to compromise and that there shouldn't be any subject that we cannot agree upon. After 2 hours of talking he finally agreeded with me. So we'll be giving 5% . Thanx Rose 4 your advise. It really helped out. I appreciate eveyone's opinion.

Edited by: MrsChambers on Mar 28, 2009 5:34 PM

CountryPrincess Posts : 673 Registered: 9/25/08
Posted: Mar 28, 2009 8:09 PM Go to message in response to: MrsChambers

MrsChambers: I grew up in St. Louis but am currently living in Springfield (FH's hometown). It's snowing here :( It's coming down fast and hard. I'm praying it wont stick. Where are you at in MO?

"I don't care how much it hurts. I don't care if its a brick wall disaster. I'd rather fight with you everday than be happy for one second with anyone else." <3

Kevin & Mari: 11/09/06 to Forever.

Autumnalis2010 Posts : 133 Registered: 1/12/09
Posted: Mar 28, 2009 8:28 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Mar 28, 2009 9:40 PM Go to message in response to: NatashaAB

Natasha--as a kindergarten teacher I can help you with that marker! LOL! Been there, done that! If it's a washable fabric definately get some stain remover on it ASAP! Wash in cold and don't dry it if it's not out (even drip dry!) I have the best luck with either shout or oxyclean. The oxyclean you can make a paste out of it and only put it on the spot. Rub the fabric together a bit and wash in cold. If it's a dry clean only sweater use the drycleaning kit from the store--they usually come with a stain stick--just follow the directions to a T!! Good luck!
And please--do tell about this date!
Hubby's been busy today and I'm feeling blue....would love to hear about something fun!

Proud member POOP - People Offended by Offended People

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine