Kay Jewelers RUINED MY ENGAGEMENT RING!!!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 34

AndysFirstLove Posts : 2 Registered: 3/17/09
Re: Kay Jewelers RUINED MY ENGAGEMENT RING!!!
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 11:07 AM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

Thank you everyone for your responses and opinions.

To those of you who feel I am being emotional and overly sentimental, I really truly hope nothing ever happens to any of your rings where you need to get it repaired. Maybe a stone falls out, or you are just going for a routine check up/cleaning and they damage it in the process. All I can say is I recommend all of you take photos, nice clear photos at different angles of your rings as they are right now.

There are so many complaints against Kay and how they handle repairs, it is really scary. Some have even been told they are not guaranteed to have the same setting when it comes back from repair. Others have had their rings come back with diamonds chipped, prongs bent, etc and others have just plain been LOST!

Maybe we are being emotional and sentimental, and maybe that has to do with the rest of our story of thinking we would never find each other again. Yes, we are truly grateful we have found each other again after all these years. We have both been married and divorced and are incredibly happy to have this second chance and to be with our Soulmate. So, believe me, we know how lucky we are.

I have filed a complaint with the BBB and the company itself. I guess we just don't understand why we were blatantly lied to. I could've worn the damaged ring until my special ordered one came in and all would've been well. But that isn't what happened. They told me it was discontinued and there was nothing they could do. Yes, we got our money back, but the experience is fresh in our minds and it didn't need to be and shouldn't be for anyone a painful or awful experience.

Thank you for allowing me to express myself and I really hope all of you have wonderful wedding experiences to look back on.

AndysFirstLove

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 12:40 PM Go to message in response to: AndysFirstLove

the being lied to is never excusable, and I definitely think you're correct in filing your complaint about that. But I think all this over over dramatic "ruined my engagement" stuff is what's over the top for me. How can it ruin your engagement?? You're still engaged, right??

IMG_7463.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 1:11 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

Wow I couldn't even read all of that it gave me a headache. From the responses I take it there was a problem with a ring. I have dealt with Kay several times. I went in to buy my daughter a ring that would have had to be sized because she is a 3.5, just like Catstandish I was told the ring I originally wanted would not look the same if I had it sized down so I had to get a different ring.

All Kay Jewelers are not the same and all people will not have the same experiences. It is just like any other chain store the employees make the store unfortunately the store you used did not have great customer service.

I am not trying to justify any thing but if someone had called me and gave me all that drama that you gave us here I would have been annoyed and would have tried to rush you off the phone as quickly as possible. I really would not have been interested in helping you at that time. That's just me I can't deal with unnecessary drama.

I hope you are able to resolve this life altering experience, I would hate to think that something so insignificant could ruin your life. Something like this might have annoyed me but it most certainly would not have caused me any trauma. But then my life is bigger than that.

Kenny and me perfect together, 10 years and counting

Sucks to be you, So glad I am me

Proud Member of P.O.O.P,  People Offended by Offended People

wedding websites

mrsJLA Posts : 445 Registered: 5/25/08
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 1:14 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

Ok - lessons to be learned for any future brides - if you can't afford to replace it, insure it. If the store won't insure it, get an appraisal and take pics like a PP said and have Travelers or whoever is your homeowner's insurance cover it. I refused to wear my e-ring on a daily basis until I had that insurance paperwork in my hands. And you need specific coverage for that piece, not just blanket coverage for jewelry. If you can't afford to pay the $100 insurance, scrape it up and save until you have it. OP you are dang lucky they honored your refund considering you had no insurance and no coverage on it. Most stores would tell you that you are S.O.L.

Two - Like a few other PP's said, try to buy from a local, recommended independent jeweler. I have jewelery from both types of stores, but anything worth a chunk of cash has come from a jeweler whom FH and I have built a working relationship with. Local businesses don't have the advertising power to compete with chain stores and rely on good customer service and recommendations to keep business prospering. I have always always always received more attention and care at the private jeweler than the chain..... and the jeweler was forthright about quality, the four C's ,etc. For example, said independant jeweler would never even sell a diamond/stone that was low quality or grade - you can get that anywhere.

And lastly - do your homework before investing in jewelry. You cannot, absolutely cannot rely on a chain store sales clerk to know it all for you. Sometimes you do get a very knowledgeable person who works there like Geri in Cat's case, but that is more of an exception than the rule. Afterall, the end goal is the bottom line. Some stores will sell you absolute crap if you are clueless. One time, at Kays or Littmans, I forget which, they were trying to pawn off a K-colored diamond ring to some clueless guy who wanted some big bling for his wife. And teh sales chick sold this thing like it was a perfect diamond. I wanted to tell the guy it was total crap (and it was), but she was on him like a hawk. Buyer beware.

And OP - take your money, get a new ring AND insurance and be grateful that you made it out of the situation with your money in hand.

Jaime :)

Wedding Pictures and the Furbabies: http://web.me.com/me182a

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Edited by: mrsJLA on Mar 18, 2009 1:16 PM

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 1:56 PM Go to message in response to: AndysFirstLove

OP - I have had something like that happen to an irreplacable heirloom ring -

my grandmother's wedding band - she's no longer with us.

I'm sorry but that is truly irreplacable even with insurance. So, I feel completely justified in telling you you are being over dramatic.

Edited by: PharmToxGirl on Mar 18, 2009 2:05 PM

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 2:50 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

To those of you who feel I am being emotional and overly sentimental, I really truly hope nothing ever happens to any of your rings where you need to get it repaired.

Holy drama queen! Chill out...

First off, when my jewelry needs repairs, I take it to an independent jeweler that I trust, not to a chain store. If possible, I take it to the jeweler who made the piece. Personally, I like working with a jeweler who does their work on the premises, so that I can speak directly to the jeweler who will be doing the work rather than relying on a potentially incompetant clerk to relay my instructions/concerns to an offsite jeweler. Secondly, my rings are insured. Sure, I'd be a little annoyed if I lost the originals, but I'd get over it pretty quickly, since they are JUST RINGS and can be replaced. Thirdly, they are JUST RINGS.

I'll admit that I'd be a little annoyed if I lost my rings or if they were damaged while they were being repaired...but honestly, I fully expect to lose them sooner or later. Sure, it would be lovely if I could wear the same rings for my entire marriage, but I just don't see it happening. The dog will eat them, I'll take them off and forget to put them back on, they'll fall down a drain, or some other fluke accident will happen to them. Do you know how many people lose their wedding rings? I EXPECT to - so I try not to be too sentimentally attached to the ones I have. I hope I can hang onto the originals, since it's nice to have THE ring that he put on my finger during our wedding ceremony - but if I lose it, it won't be the end of the world. In the end, a ring is just a symbol - and if need be, I can buy other rings that will do the job just as well as these ones.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

MrsMcCain Posts : 580 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 5:16 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

I am going to say that I am a little overattached (sentimentally) to my ring. If I lost it, or something happened to it I think I would be pretty devastated. My ring is nothing spectacular, but to me it would be like loosing a lot of good pictures that have good memories.

Also, up until this point I never would have thought that chain jewelers have such bad reps. I thought any jeweler was suppose to be trustworthy so it's interesting to hear things like this.

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 5:36 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcCain

Look at it this way - private jewelers usually only have a few hundred customers that they work with TOPS. Some more, some less depending on the area.

Chain jewelers get thousands if not hundreds of thousands of customer purchases each year.

Who is more likely to be hurt by a bad review or BBB complaint? Obviously the little guy. One bad apple here and there doesn't neccessarily bring down the big chain store if 95 or 99% of the time, they get by with no complaints.

Plus, if you really get to know a jeweler, you can sometimes negotiate a lower price. I can tell you that I can get a heck of alot better quality jewelry for X dollars at my local jeweler than at a chain store. The only time I buy at a chain store is when they have a huge sale because they normally mark stuff up 200-300%. I'm sorry if I offend, but its rarely as high of quality as they make you think and buying ANYTHING at ticket price is overpaying.

loveisjoy Posts : 85 Registered: 2/6/09
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 9:37 PM Go to message in response to: AndysFirstLove

Your story is heartbreaking. I AM SO SORRY...
PLEASE CONTACT THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU. Trust me when they finish with Kay, you two may have lots of Jewelry. My friend took her BMW to get repaired. Supposedly they fixed the situation, well it happened again, so the next time they said it was something else, not what they fixed. And they wanted her to pay again. She contacted the Better Business Bureau and had a brand new BMW to drive until they finished her car. Well the car still wasn't right, so they gave her what her care was worth, because it was paid for and she went and purchased another vehicle. She also had a problem with a purchase she made from a retailer and she contacted the Better Business Bureau again, and she got something from the retailer. Write a letter to them, make sure its Certified Receipt, so you can have a paper trail. Tell them everything that happened to you. Send them the pictures also. Good Luck.

loveisjoy Posts : 85 Registered: 2/6/09
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 9:46 PM Go to message in response to: sjhc132

You can get insurance through your homeowner's insurance. Then if something happens you should be able to have it repaired or fixed. Maybe you can have someone ask him where he got it from, so you can at least get the name of the store and maybe you can purchase warranty from the store. But please get it insured, you can go to any jewelry store and have it appraised, then take that to your insurance company to have it added to your policy.

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 9:53 PM Go to message in response to: loveisjoy

[i]"Trust me when they finish with Kay, you two may have lots of Jewelry. "[/i]

I'm sorry but thats just greedy, like those people on the flight that went into the Hudson who want to sue for more $ even though the airline comp'd them for belongings + $5000 each + other stuff. How far is too far ya' know? Not like there is much comparison to a plane crash...after all its just a RING. A material possession.

Kay's gave her the $ back, she ought to take it, file her complaint and move on with her life.

A good consumer is a knowledgeable, responsible one. You can't always play the big bad merchant card.... "housing crisis" ring a bell anyone...

paralegal05 Posts : 116 Registered: 3/19/09
Posted: Mar 23, 2009 1:37 PM Go to message in response to: AndysFirstLove

I am so sorry to hear that you had so much trouble. My fiance and I also had some trouble with Alvin's Jewelers. However after five trips, my ring is perfect and they really did everything they could to help us. We did have to call corporate but like I said, they fixed the problem. I understand completely why you are upset. We thought it was a nightmare too and it added a lot of unwarranted stress. I hope everything works out for you and i agree with the others. Take the money you got back and go to an independant jeweler. They will spend more time with you and make sure your ring is perfect. Even though it may not be the original ring he proposed to, it will still be from him and it will be perfect. I hope everything works out for the two of you!

JJsWifey08 Posts : 272 Registered: 12/5/08
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 3:28 AM Go to message in response to: AndysFirstLove

I can understand you Andy. My bridal set cost 400 and I lost it a few days ago and was heartbroken but that never changed the fact that i was Mrs.Joseph. He even told me he was ordering another one. I am attached to my ring but not enough to be pouting daily. Life goes on and you reported it and got your money back. Hopefully your next experience is a good one
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Plunger Of the Offended in P.O.O.P~"People Offended by Offended People"

ginmal Posts : 396 Registered: 1/11/08
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 3:13 PM Go to message in response to: JJsWifey08

Two words.
DRAMA QUEEN.
I can not and do not feel sorry for you. You have a small ring size common sense should have told you sizing a ring that small would alter the look. And the customer service wasn't all that terrible. They gave you a refund when they told you there was nothing they could do to make the ring looked origionally in a size 4.5.
And to think that you are having "nightmares" and think you are "emotionally scarred" from something as piddley as not getting the exact ring you want scares me.
The economy is falling apart, people are loosing their jobs, homes, cars...some parents don't know how they will feed thier children at the end of the week, pay for nessicary medicines....and you are "emotionally scarred" over not getting the e-ring you want. For an adult you sound quite immature. I don't care how long you have waited to be together.....be happy you have eachother now and get over the stinking ring.
Sorry if this came off as bitchy...only a little....but I can't stand the whole woe is me my lengagement is ruined bit over something so miniscule.

Bless your own day, leave mine alone!Innocent

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 3:23 PM Go to message in response to: ginmal

Good to see you Gin!! waves

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine