I need help with the ceremony songs...

Online Users: 1,250 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

AshleyAnnB Posts : 3 Registered: 1/30/09
I need help with the ceremony songs...
Posted: Mar 24, 2009 7:52 PM

Hello everyone! I need some help! I am engaged to a Marine and unfortunately because of the military I only have 2 months to plan this wedding! We are getting married June 13. I am trying to pick songs for the ceremony and have NO idea at all how this works. How many songs should you have for the ceremony? So far I've decided on 3. One for the bridal party, one for the bride, and one for the exit. Should there be more than that?

For the bride's song I'm considering "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz. And for the exit song I'm thinking "Beautiful Day" by U2. I think they're good together but I'm not sure. Do these songs go together well? Are they okay choices? If I use these, what bridal party song would work well with them? Should I even have a song for the bridal party? Or should I just use one song for both the bridal party and the bride? The version of "I'm Yours" that I found is 3min37sec. Is that long enough for both? Like I said, I'm clueless when it comes to all this! Please help!!!

THANK YOU!
:-D

nimnimsgirl Posts : 28 Registered: 9/19/08
Re: I need help with the ceremony songs...
Posted: Mar 24, 2009 8:01 PM Go to message in response to: AshleyAnnB

I totally understand the stress of having to plan a wedding in little time! My hubby is in the navy and we only had three months to plan our wedding! It was crazy!

Unless you plan on doing some sort of unity candle/sand ceremony during your ceremony, you only really need to pick the wedding party entrance song, your processional song, and the recessional song. The wedding party entrance song and your processional song are usually two different songs only because that helps to signal your guests that it is time for your entrance. If you were entering to the same song as your bridal party, your guests won't really know when to turn around and watch you walk down the aisle!

I love the song "I'm Yours", but I think it might be better to use as your first dance song? or maybe the song for your entrance into your reception? I only say that because it's a little on the faster side and doesn't really have that "bridal entrance" feel to it. But hey, that's just my opinion. Exiting to U2 would be awesome though! I exited to Rascal Flatts...you're taking your first steps as hubby and wife...it should be fun!

Are you using a dj? He/she should be able to help you pick out some good songs for the ceremony based on your music tastes.

It's the little things that bring beauty to life...

http://scrapsoflife.dreamhosters.com

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Mar 24, 2009 9:33 PM Go to message in response to: AshleyAnnB

Dear Ashley,

There's no real "formula" for wedding songs. You pick what you like, within the confines of any church or other venue requirements. You can have music that is all instrumental, or music with lyrics. Consider, also, what your audience will find appropriate. (You don't want Great-grandma to keel over with a heart attack upon hearing certain misogynist rap lyrics.)

One thing you want to bear in mind is that it is awkward for people to be just standing there while a long song finishes playing. Measure out the logistics of the wedding venue in your back yard or a park. (Put a soccer ball or jacket on the ground to mark where you start walking and where you finish.) Get a couple of people to help, filling in for absent wedding party members.

Then, get a stopwatch, walk the walk, and time it. How long will it take to bring in the wedding party? How long for the bride?

Now, imagine all this with your chosen songs. Will you reach the altar during the first verse, then just stand there looking at each other for another three verses?

See if you have a friend with music editing software. (I am not positive, but I think Mac computers usually have that as part of their OS. I could be wrong; I'm a Windows person.)

See if your chosen, but too long, song can be edited so it "fades" out at the proper point.

adrigirl01 Posts : 287 Registered: 10/2/08
Posted: Mar 24, 2009 9:46 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

I'm just having the processional and recessional for my ceremony. As for the dilemma about bridesmaids and bride entrance song, our song is also about 3 and 1/2 minutes and I've decided to have the bridesmaids walk in to the same song as I am, and just have the pastor make a signal that tells people to stand...not to mention most weddings I go to people are kind of watching the back to watch people entering. I'm assuming they'll realize it's me in the big white gown following the flower girl and will stand. I have until July to change my mind, and I may, but that's the plan for now. The song we're having would just be odd not to play the whole way through.

It's really up to you in the end and I wish you luck on planning a wedding in so short of time!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 12:16 AM Go to message in response to: adrigirl01

Dear Adri,

" and just have the pastor make a signal that tells people to stand...not to mention most weddings I go to people are kind of watching the back to watch people entering"

Not an issue. People always stand for the bride's entrance. Those who know will stand up, and the clueless will just follow suit.

(Hey! That's ONE thing you don't have to worry about!!! Hooray!)

Shiybaby Posts : 20 Registered: 8/1/08
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 12:08 PM Go to message in response to: AshleyAnnB

This is just my suggestion for the song. I agree with the previous poster that the "Im yours" song is a little quick paced. Listen to the song by Jason Mraz and Cobie Caliat called "Lucky". It is much slower paced, but still upbeat. I am walking down the aisle to it. Its really beautiful and may better suit the ceremony. Also, considering that you FH is a marine and you may be separated for long periods of time, the words may have additional meaning. Good Luck!

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 2:15 AM Go to message in response to: Shiybaby

Thank you everyone!!! I have actually picked "Lucky" by Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat for our first song. My thinking with us apart and the special meaning was the same! :-D I love it!!! I am definitely set on it!

I originally chose "I'm Yours" because we are having our ceremony on the beach and I love the sound of the song. I thought it would fit. But I do see where it is a bit too fast. I like a lot of songs and keep changing my mind but does anyone have any other suggestions for a different song? I kind of like "I Love You 'Til the End" by the Pogues. It was in P.S. I Love You. (I know... sad movie... but the words are happy and sweet!) What does everyone think of that song? Would it still go with my exit song ("Beautiful Day")? Any other suggestions would be awesome! Thanks again everyone!! :-D

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 6:16 PM Go to message in response to: AshleyAnnB

You didn't mention where you are getting married. Will your wedding be in a church? Some have restrictions on music and won't allow popular music, nonreligious music, etc. This varies by denomination and congregation. If you're getting married at some other type of venue though, then you can use whatever you want!

Anyway, I think I would pick a slower song for the processional. I think it would be hard to walk seriously to "I'm Yours;" it has a very syncopated beat that gives it more of a dancy feel.

If you're just using one song (I did), you can just wait a few seconds after the flower girl goes down the aisle before you enter. Build some anticipation!! People will turn around looking to see where you are, then when they see you, they'll stand.

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 7:52 PM Go to message in response to: HLYflute

Actually I just posted again above yours there... sorry. I am having the ceremony on the beach.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine