Did anyone's husband take your name?

Online Users: 1,263 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

byebye Posts : 37 Registered: 7/30/08
Did anyone's husband take your name?
Posted: Mar 24, 2009 1:41 PM

Hi, I was wondering how many of your husband's took YOUR last name. Or how many people hyphenated not only your name but your husband's so you had matching last names that were a combination of both your names. Some friends and I are having a discussion about it. Any input would be great!

TigerBride515 Posts : 482 Registered: 10/15/08
Re: Did anyone's husband take your name?
Posted: Mar 24, 2009 1:59 PM Go to message in response to: byebye

I don't know anyone who has done this so I guess I can't really comment. My initial reaction would be why would you want to do that? I don't really get the whole feminism thing so I would just be interested in the reasoning behind the decision for both the husband and wife.

Lilypie Baby Tickerpreview image

MrsMcDAtLast Posts : 860 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Mar 24, 2009 2:12 PM Go to message in response to: byebye

I don't know anyone personally who has done this, either, but I know a couple who ALMOST did it this way, lol. The woman had a unique, cool-sounding last name that she loved, and her husband liked, too, and planned to change his name to hers, but what I heard was that his mother had a fit about the idea, so they didn't end up doing it. She took his name when they married instead.

I did read a Dear Abby years ago where a woman came from a family of all girls, and her husband came from a family of all boys, so the husband took his wife's name so it could be passed on.

I say more power to a couple who makes this unusual decision! :)

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Mar 24, 2009 11:33 PM Go to message in response to: byebye

You might be interested in this pretty recent thread from the Just Engaged forum about last names:

http://www.brides.com/forums/just-engaged/thread.jspa?threadID=63665&tstart=15

adrigirl01 Posts : 287 Registered: 10/2/08
Posted: Mar 24, 2009 11:43 PM Go to message in response to: Rose217

Well, I wouldn't personally do this (even though there's only one boy throughout the entire family in my generation and I wonder if the family name will be passed, and that does concern me a bit), but some friends of mine have thought about it, though I don't know if they still are or not. She didn't think her name would go well with his last, and he felt his last was too common or something of the like.
I think it's kind of odd, but it's not bad.

MrsMcCain Posts : 580 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 10:44 AM Go to message in response to: byebye

I can't really see any man willing to do that- I think it would hurt their pride. Interesting topic though.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 11:10 AM Go to message in response to: MrsMcCain

In another thread, there is a bride who's husband is taking her last name.

I know plenty of people, men and women alike, who for their own reasons would prefer not to have their father's name - so I can see it happening.

triciam Posts : 128 Registered: 2/19/09
Posted: Mar 28, 2009 10:15 PM Go to message in response to: byebye

I'll be taking my fiance's last name just because if we combined ours it would look funny. I wish he would take my last name though because its a bad alphabet move for me (currently I am a M and he is a Z). I go from always being in the middle to being last for any line ups ;)

[url=http://www.weddingcountdown.com]
imghttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/qjyuwuod4t.png[/img]
[/url]

www.momentville.com/triciaandjef

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 9:54 PM Go to message in response to: triciam

FH is actually considering this

I am probably the one that started that thread that a PP posted, I didn't check out the link.

Well for me, I am unwilling to give up my last name. I have a strong connection to my last name and to my family and I just wouldn't feel me with FHs last name. I got to thinking about it more and I realized my sister and I will be the last ones on the family tree with my last name...we're the end of our family name. I was talking to FH about it and he was like "well what if I changed my last name?" that way our kids would have my last name. He is a part of a huge family and there will be many more children on his family tree with his name, but I am sad at the the thought of the end of mine. I can't really see him ending up doing it, even though he says he will. I think it's very sweet of him to offer. Maybe it will happen. Maybe it won't.

I don't think it's completely ridiculous to assume that a man would take a woman's last name. It's not an act of feminism or anything. And really, I don't think it should be immasculating. Women have given away a part of their identity for centuries! Why can't men do the same? If it is so harmless for a woman to give away her last name, it should be equally harmless for a man.

adrigirl01 Posts : 287 Registered: 10/2/08
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 10:07 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Brighter--I know where you're coming from. On my dad's side of the family, only girls have been born...except for one boy, a cousin of mine. I hope he'll carry on the family name, but sometimes we worry about it. I think I'll take suggestions from the other thread, though, and make my maiden name a second middle name. Ben has said that we could give one of our kids my last name to help it continue (his side of the family is mostly boys, so carrying on the family name shouldn't be a problem), but if that's not what happens he's promised me that I can name one of our kids (probably the first) my last name, because it works as a first name for both boys and girls. So we're coming up with solutions...I just have a very traditionaly mindset about some things so I don't like the idea of not taking his name at all--but I can definitely see why some women keep their last names.

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 5:56 PM Go to message in response to: byebye

Wedding dresses from famous wedding designers are promoting now.
http://www.okaydress.com/wedding-dress-designers-c-65.html
Mori Lee Wedding Dress Style 6717 is just $249.99.

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 5:59 PM Go to message in response to: byebye

Wedding dresses from famous wedding designers are promoting now.
http://www.okaydress.com/wedding-dress-designers-c-65.html
Mori Lee Wedding Dress Style 6717 is just $249.99.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine