Dye Lots - Do They Really Matter?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

EegrrBride Posts : 8 Registered: 11/3/08
Dye Lots - Do They Really Matter?
Posted: Mar 23, 2009 2:39 PM

So my three BMs are in Chicago, Pittsburgh and Madison. They're going to be wearing black cocktail dresses from either Alvina Valenta or WToo (as soon as they decide - they're all being so NICE to each other about it, thank goodness!).

We've gotten some pressure from the salon where my MOH lives to order all three dresses from them and ship them all across the country. I'd rather save a step and just have each girl order the dress from the store in her city. The salon insists the dresses won't match because they will be from different dye lots.

My question is - has anyone had an experience where they ordered dresses from different salons that didn't match? Does anyone have an opinion on whether that's a bigger deal for, say, a fuschia dress than it would be for my black dresses?

Thanks for reading my first-ever post and for the advice!

Edited by: EegrrBride on Mar 23, 2009 2:57 PM

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: Dye Lots - Do They Really Matter?
Posted: Mar 23, 2009 2:48 PM Go to message in response to: EegrrBride

I personally had not had an issues with dye lots. And it would seem to me that a black dress is a black dress.

But others on here may have some more relevant advice. Good luck!

bbaker0525 Posts : 14 Registered: 3/11/09
Posted: Mar 23, 2009 3:34 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I am ordering my dresses from an online store. And when I called them to ask some questions they INSISTED I order all the dresses at the same bc even if I go with the same Designer the Dye lots would be different. I also have BM some in Chicago some southern Illinois and some mid Indiana and was going to have them all order their own. Instead I am going to order them all myself and just have them give me their sizes so I can order them at the same time. BUT my color is going to be a baby blue. I dont see how blacks can be different especially if they are the same dress. That means they will be the same fabric and everything. Call an online store and tell them the designer you're looking at and ask them and see if they say the same thing. Try Houseofbrides.com or rkbridal.com They should have phone numbers on their websites! Good Luck!!

We2Heart Posts : 452 Registered: 10/11/07
Posted: Mar 23, 2009 4:04 PM Go to message in response to: EegrrBride

You know, the shop that we ended up ordering our BM's dresses from said the same thing. It wasn't a problem for me, all of my BMs were local. But, I can see where you'd want to let them order it themselves, it's more convinent for them for sure.

I will say this - because of their 'dye lots', when I asked for a swatch they wouldn't give it to me until they had their next fabric run for the dresses. When I did get the swatch, it did not match the color of the sample dress exactly. But it wasn't a glaringly obvious difference between the dresses themselves. So, unless you're really picky about it matching exactly (which I'm assuming you're not), I wouldn't worry about the dye lot issue. Especially if it's going to save money or time to order them seperately.

~~~~~~~~
together is a perfect place to be because it's there that you can be delightfully imperfect. and there's nothing closer to perfection than being loved just because you are. 

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Mar 23, 2009 4:22 PM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

I've worked in a couple of different national chains that custon furniture and fabric for window treatments and such. In total between all the stores I worked for about 5 years and I never once had a problem with dye lots and I never heard of a case of dye lot issues.

This isn't to say that they don't happen though, so I'm guessing that the stores are just playing it REALLY safe because come on, is there a consumer more demanding than a bride-to-be? hehe

Also, my semi-educated guess would be that with black you would not be as prone to dye lot issues. If you were ordering say a shade of purple or orange or something that requires more complex blending of dyes like that, it might be a scosh safer to order all from the same dye-lot, but I really don't think it'll be a huge problem.

My conclusion? they probably want your whole order for their store and they don't mind if you have to pay to ship dresses (and possible have them lost in the us postal system) instead of everyone ordering where they live.

IMG_7463.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Mar 23, 2009 7:41 PM Go to message in response to: EegrrBride

My David's consultant told me that Dye Lots are nothing now. I had specifically picked a black dress because of 'dye lots' (had that issue with the first wedding) and I figured black is black is black. Whereas blue might be different. I also gave them the dress I picked out, and told them to TRY IT ON, but if they wanted something different, they were welcome to get it, so long as it was black and between tea and knee length and flowy. Two have so far picked halter dresses and they are both very cute.

That shop is just trying to up its sales at the cost of your maids!

Misty

bunnybear05 Posts : 157 Registered: 1/7/09
Posted: Mar 23, 2009 11:57 PM Go to message in response to: EegrrBride

I wouldn't worry if they are black dresses. Im doing a chocolate brown ( i have seen the different shades it could be, and it does vary) and didn't want to mess with it, so I ordered them for my two out of towners and will ship it to them. Steer clear of the House of Brides in Schaumberg,though. They are terribly unorganized and they charge each bridesmaid like $20 to ship the dress to the store. They come in the same order, you would think that it would be a bit cheaper per person. It would have been nice i they could have shipped the dress automatically to the out of towners, but no. Instead, they still have to pay the $20 shipping charge and I have to ship it out to them. Its just silly little annoyances that drive me kooky.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine