List of expenses to consider

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

BrideJay Posts : 63 Registered: 3/3/09
List of expenses to consider
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 6:41 PM

Hi Everyone,
I'm only a day into planning, and I'm already up to my neck in utter confusion!! I'm attempting to build my wedding around the venue... and I have it narrowed down to a few places. I want to send an RFP (request for proposal) to these venues so that they can send me a dollar amount estimate for the ceremony/reception. However, as I'm setting out to create this RFP, I'm realizing that I have no idea what it is that I want... or what I need to consider.
The only things I can think of are basically lodging, green fees (for a golf resort venue), food, bar... access to audio equipment/set-up for the DJ...
I know I'm leaving out a million things, and I have a million questions (can you BYOB to a fancy golf resort location?) Does anyone know of a good website that lays out all the expenses to consider? Or a book??
Thanks!!

(¯`ˇ´¯)
.`· .¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´

Dance like it hurts

Love like you need the money

Work when people are watching

brix24 Posts : 165 Registered: 8/3/08
Re: List of expenses to consider
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 6:47 PM Go to message in response to: BrideJay

I used the real simple website. They have charts you can print off and give timelines.

www.realsimple.com

Take a breath though and have a glass of wine as you start working through it. Don't rush into decisions at the moment - just collate ideas and run them past your fiancee (!) and folks or friends to get their opinions.

The local library will have bridal mags to borrow (cheaper than buying!) or look online in E Bay for brides now wed who are selling their mags.

I have a box and I throw ideas into that so everything is kept in one place.

Enjoy the journey and congrats!

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 6:53 PM Go to message in response to: brix24

Thanks brix! I'm lucky that I have an awesome support system in both my parents... who are the ones who suggested the venues I'm looking at. I definitely don't want to make any solid decisions right now, but I'm afraid a couple of these places book nearly a year in advance. >< Thanks for the website... I just work in such a mathematical way, that its frustrating when I don't have all the parts to an equation!

(¯`ˇ´¯)
.`· .¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´

Dance like it hurts

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 7:07 PM Go to message in response to: BrideJay

Yay! That RealSimple website rocks!!

Thanks again!

(¯`ˇ´¯)
.`· .¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´

Dance like it hurts

SoonToBeMrsDodge Posts : 70 Registered: 2/7/09
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 7:25 PM Go to message in response to: BrideJay

Just breathe! Omg I'm so happy I'm not the only one who freaked after the first day of planning hahaha. Take it one day at a time. If you start thinking about all the 'what if's' needing to be answered today you will go nuts and lose sleep over all the stress (been there, done that! haha). What I did was I got a notebook of things that came to mind at the time that needed to be decided on at some point. Kind of like a "dump" book so I didn't have to remember it all at once. I also bought a planning book because I didn't know the first thing about planning a wedding. So, if you need more help than what the realsimple.com site offers (which is so great btw!) then that would be another option. I never thought of using the library, but that's a great idea as well!

The book I'm using is called "The Wedding Book" (The big book for your big day) By Mindy Weiss. It's really informative and has tips for cutting costs, what questions to ask different vendors, a wedding budget guideline with a breakdown of different percentages for the different items on your budget (i.e. how much of a percentage of money will go to what), and it also helped me know what to start planning first and what could be left for a couple months down the road. It may also help you to get a binder or file folder of some sort to store vendor information and copies of contracts once they've been signed. I really like to be organized (it helps me feel more in control I guess) so my binder has a section for vendor business cards, contracts and vendor information in their own page protectors and a folder for ideas on things I haven't made my mind up on yet. It helps me keep everything all in one place for when I need to come back to it.

wedding websites

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 8:08 PM Go to message in response to: SoonToBeMrsDodge

I'm not sure how much you've already figured out from that website, but if you're considering booking an all inclusive venue, you'll first need to know approximately how many people you're looking at. This will directly dictate the price of everything as from what I've heard, venues have minimums and maximums. These are all the things that I can think of that you probably want to include on your request for your proposal:

ceremony: how long will it be? how many chair rentals do you need? will they set up/take down? Do you want outdoor? If yes: Are there inclement provisions?

cocktail hour: do you want one? do you want food served? what kind? (like finger foods?)

alcohol: any at all? if yes: how much? open bar? or only wine/beer? will there be a bar tender? What are the laws about serving alcohol at a wedding, could you be liable if anyone is hurt? Do they have insurance?

food: buffet or sit down? From the venue or from an outside caterer? (some allow it, some don't from what I understand) How many wait staff persons will they have included in the price?

Rentals: how many are you looking for? how many are included? (chairs, tables, linens, dishes, centerpieces, silverware, chair covers, decorations)

cake: are their caterers making it? are you bringing it in?

Lighting: how much is there already? do you want fancy party lighting?

amount of time: how long will your reception be?

setup for reception: will they do this? or do you need to provide people to set everything up and take everything down?

security: do they require someone to be there? are you required to provide that person?
if it's a hotel: are there room discounts included in the package?

tips: are they included in the final price?

wedding coordinator: do they have one that's included with the package? even just a day-of coordinator and someone who will help you with all things venue-related, from what I hear, can be a HUGE help. I wish I had had one!

preferred vendors: do they have a list? This can be especially good for finding a photographer that's already familiar with your venue, I think.

that's all I can think of right now. I'll add more if I think of anything. lol I hope that helps! :)

IMG_7463.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine