Diamond help...

Online Users: 1,303 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 13

SukishoLove Posts : 8 Registered: 3/10/09
Diamond help...
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 2:41 AM

My boyfriend has been looking at rings. He currently has a great deal on an colorless diamond in a size I like, but it is imperfect. Money is a big issue and I know he wants it to be perfect. So, should I sacrifice color for clarity, and how many people really notice inclusions in rings?

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Re: Diamond help...
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 7:24 AM Go to message in response to: SukishoLove

Is the inclusion visible to the naked eye, or does it require lots of magnification to see it? FYI, most diamonds have some inclusions. A flawless, colorless diamond is rare and very expensive.

As for color vs clarity, it's up to you. Most people can't tell the difference between various color grades in diamonds (unless it's a VERY poor grade), nor will they notice imperfections (unless they're obvious to the naked eye). If it makes you feel better, I have no idea whether what color grade my e-ring is nor do I know whether it has any imperfections. It looks fine to me, though I'm sure it's not flawless and colorless.

If you want my opinion, I'd choose color over clarity - provided we're talking about a miniscule impefection that I'll probably never notice. If the diamond has an obvious imperfection, I'd probably choose a lower color grade with less obvious imperfections.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

BrideJay Posts : 63 Registered: 3/3/09
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 12:36 PM Go to message in response to: SukishoLove

For me, color was first and foremost.

Like the PP said, inclusions (unless noticeable to the naked eye) aren't a big deal... (realistically, no one is going to run up to you with a lupe and insist upon seeing your diamond under magnification).

It's up to you, though, in the end.

One thing I made sure of, was that I never looked at my diamond under the microscope. I let my fiancee check its inclusions and know its "dirty little secrets"...
I chose it based on how it looked, without knowing any of its specs or even the price. =)

My advice, choose a diamond you think its beautiful, and don't let the technical stuff get in the way.

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 2:01 PM Go to message in response to: BrideJay

This isn't what you asked, but if I were you, I would personally sacrifice size for good color and clarity. That way you'll have the sparkliest one you can possibly have, and that makes a big difference IMO.

For reference, my center stone is color H, clarity SI1, which isn't the best but isn't shabby, either. However, it doesn't sparkle the way I've seen others sparkle, and that's where the cut comes in. I suspect mine wasn't cut as well as it could've been. It looked great in the store, but jewelers clean them up so well and their lights complement them just right, so at the time we bought it it looked great.

So look at a variety of diamonds before you make your decision, and I would ask to look at them in natural light as well as under jewelry store lights if you can (I don't know how many jewelers will be able to manage that, but maybe some can? I never asked. Again, wish I had!). Then go for whichever one catches your eye the most and fits your budget.

preview image

bunnybear05 Posts : 157 Registered: 1/7/09
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 3:10 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

I agree that the cut is pretty important. My diamond isn't that big (.50 carat) but it sure does sparkle. The diamond on my ring is considered a really good diamond. Its a G VS1 Brillant cut. I saw a little diagram of my diamond and I think it had like 2 imperfections in it.
I think the sparkle is most important to me, then again so is size. But I wouldn't like to have a big diamond that wasn't very sparkly.
I can't say that I have seen a diamond that had low grade color rating, so I am not sure how a diamond would look like that.
I would say that if it looks good to your fiancee's naked eye then its a good diamond. Unless the imperfections are obvious to you when you look at it, then I wouldn't think about it.
My fiancee totally got into the 4 C's of diamonds. He really wanted to find something that had no imperfections. Once he started researching he realized that it wasn't realistic. He still isn't happy with what he gave me, ( he comes from a family with big rocks on their left hands)

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 12:14 AM Go to message in response to: bunnybear05

Thank you so much for all the feedback... he let me in on a bit more about the diamond...

Color: E
Carat: 0.33
Clarity: I1
Cut: Round (not sure it's grade, and he doesn't remember)

I worry about it's clarity obviously, but he promised to really look and see if he could notice the inclusions.If they aren't noticable does it really matter? I know my guy is stressing about this because he wants it to be perfect and for me to love it. I just want to be able to give him peace of mind...

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 12:32 AM Go to message in response to: SukishoLove

I would still ask if you can see the diamond yourself and ask if the seller can show you other diamonds of similar size next to it. That way you can see for yourself if it's sparkly enough for you or if there's a different diamond you'd like better. You'll be the one wearing it, so it's important that you'll like looking at it. Talk to your FH and see if you can arrange an appointment together with whoever's selling it.

preview image

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 10:59 PM Go to message in response to: SukishoLove

I have read that round stones sparkle the best. I am not sure if that is the truth, but from looking at rimngs on line, round diamonds seem to be more expensive. I think that might have to do with how it is cut. The color E is excellent and as long as your fiancee can't see any visible imperfections in the diamond, then it sounds good to me!

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Mar 20, 2009 6:29 PM Go to message in response to: SukishoLove

I personally wouldn't buy a ring with an I clarity rating. You're better off finding something in the same size range (or down to .25) and a F or G color and better clarity. With that many inclusions in an I1 rating, you're probably going to see a lot of gray in it.

Just my two cents.

And to a previous poster who mentioned round diamonds - yes rounds sparkle more because of the facets.

Member and Co-Founder of POOP:   "People Offended by Offended People"

Photobucket 

Posted: Mar 20, 2009 9:13 PM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

Thank you ! Facets, I just couldn't think of the word.

I went onto bluenile.com and did a diamond search similar to your critera. I found a .34 of a carat with a E color and a SI2 clarity ( blue nile will not sell anything below that because its not eye-clean) for about $350. Now this only includes the diamond, not the band. But bands are not that pricey.
I have read that bluenile's website sells some wonderful diamonds at great prices. Might be worth looking into if your future fiancee is up for it. Or just peruse the site yourself, its kinda fun to design your own ring.

Posted: Mar 20, 2009 9:30 PM Go to message in response to: bunnybear05

Thank you all for the help. I will definately check out that site and let him know about it...

I can't wait till I get that ring on my finger!!

Posted: Mar 21, 2009 4:56 PM Go to message in response to: SukishoLove

Let us know what you choose, and pics!! ;)

Posted: Mar 22, 2009 1:48 AM Go to message in response to: bunnybear05

I have only gotten one peek at the ring if he gets the one we looked at, and even then, he won't officially propose with the ring until after he asks my dad for my hand this summer... that is what he told me at least.. but as soon as he does I will definately let yall know the way he did it and put pictures up of us and of my ring!

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: Mar 22, 2009 8:00 PM Go to message in response to: SukishoLove

I1 is supposed to mean that inclusions are visible to the naked eye. BUT, my ring is supposed to be an I1 and I can't see anything. Under magnification, I can see a slight feather. I secretly think the company sent us the wrong diamond on accident, but no complaints here! (Plus we didn't realize any of this till my husband started working in the jewelry business, after we were already married).

That said, I have a diamond solitaire necklace with a big inclusion in it. It's 1/3 carat princess cut. I can see the spot if I hold it up at a certain angle in certain light. However, it's still really sparkly and I get compliments on it all the time. You can only see the inclusion if you're about 3 inches away or closer. Also, they tend to show more on princess or emeraled cut diamonds because there are fewer facets to reflect the light.

Anyway, if it's a good price and you love it, I wouldn't worry about the clarity. No one but you will ever know.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine