Something borrowed

Online Users: 1,248 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

JVe Posts : 6 Registered: 3/12/07
Something borrowed
Posted: Feb 6, 2009 10:40 PM

Ladies - I'm completely set with my wedding day ensemble - from veil to shoes to accessories. I've just discovered I don't have anything borrowed. All the usual suggestions of hankies to jewelry are covered. Can someone help me with ideas. Thank you.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: Something borrowed
Posted: Feb 6, 2009 10:59 PM Go to message in response to: JVe

Well, I also borrowed my grandmother's wedding band from my Mom and pinned it to my bouquet.

It doesn't have to be something that's seen.

Good luck!

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 9:03 AM Go to message in response to: JVe

You can get married without 'something borrowed', you know! It's perfectly Ok!

If you absolutely want to go by the rhyme and borrow something, you could always substitute a borrowed item for one of the things you've bought. I had bought several necklaces (good deal) to try on with my dress, and I ended up wearing my grandmother's pearls, instead. The other two necklaces didn't go to waste - I've worn them plenty of other times.

I was planning to borrow a small piece of jewelry from my grandmother that I could pin to my bouquet. My grandmother has Alzheimer's and couldn't come to the wedding, so it was important to me that my borrowed item come from her. Well, my mom went over and tried to explain to my grandmother that I wanted to borrow something from her for my wedding, and she (grandmother) got all excited and brought out her pearls. Despite her usual state of confusion, she knew exactly what she was offering them for. How could you say no to that? So I put the special 'wedding necklaces' aside and wore her pearls. I'm so glad I did - aside from the fact that she was lucid enough to offer them to me (which meant a lot, as she hasn't recognized me in a couple years), they have a nice history. My grandparents were married before WWII. When my grandfather was in the Pacific during the war, he bought her that set of natural pearls and gave them to her as an anniversary gift when he returned. It was nice to wear something to my wedding that had all the love of a 50-year marriage in it.

I suggest that you decide who you want to borrow something from, and then let her make a suggestion of what to borrow. That way, you'll know that you're borrowing something that is meaningful to the person who is lending it to you. I'm glad I ended up with the pearls instead of some random piece of jewelry with no sentimental value (which is probably what I would have gotten if my mom or myself had picked something out from my grandmother's jewelry box).

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 9:11 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

I ended up borrowing, among other things, the cake knife set. It worked out well becuase I really didn't think I would end up using it ever. again. lol :) Maybe something that isn't worn would still work for you?

Proud Member of CAN POOP!!

IMG_7120.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 9:39 AM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

My borrowed comes from my mother -- she has a pair of princess cut sapphire earrings, which match my engagement ring. Either of these could be my "Blue", but really, the blue is the sapphire necklace my fiance gave me.

Misty

Visit our Wedding Website

C.A.T., P.O.O.P.

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 10:57 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

I actually had 2 borrowed items. One was a small ruby ring that I borrowed from one of my dearest friends since grade school (and yes, I remembered the ring that she let me borrow).

Background first: When my grandmother died, one of my other friends wanted something from my grandmother....my friend LOVED my grandmother. So I gave my friend a leave pin that was my grandmothers (maybe a pair of matching earrings too). So my friend let me borrow the pin that she had of my grandmothers.

No one knew that I was doing this & it was between me and each of my friends that I hold dear to my heart.

So something borrowed can be anything.....

Squirrel87 Posts : 1 Registered: 4/9/08
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 1:20 PM Go to message in response to: JVe

If you are doing a traditional ceremony and your family has a "family bible" or someone in your family has an old bible that means something to you, etc. you could have your minister use it in your ceremony. i think that a celebrity when she got married had a family bible as a base under her bouquet.....

so if that sound like an item someone in your family has that would be neat, i know it was something my mom did as well.....

Good Luck!

ldspir8princess Posts : 7 Registered: 6/4/08
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 1:27 PM Go to message in response to: JVe

For my wedding, I am borrowing some decor for the reception from my mom's best childhood friend. She has some really neat trees (they are in pots) that I am using to line the entrance to my reception. I'm going to wrap them in white christmas lights to help create the wedding feel as my guests walk through the lane to the entrance. What you borrow doesn't necessarily have to be something you wear. It's your wedding, you can do what you want in the way you like it best.
Remember, everything will work our in the end.  If it hasn't worked out, it's yet not the end.

MrsMatt Posts : 1 Registered: 1/2/09
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 1:34 PM Go to message in response to: JVe

We are using the something borrowed to honor all of our loved ones who have passed. I am going to tie all of the wedding bands of grandparents who cannot attend into the bouquet. It just makes it a special memory just for our families to share.

snowquen Posts : 1 Registered: 3/9/09
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 3:17 PM Go to message in response to: JVe

Are you using a reading or poem during your wedding? Maybe you could "borrow words from someone else?

cateyes1983 Posts : 10 Registered: 2/23/08
Posted: Mar 20, 2009 3:38 PM Go to message in response to: JVe

I'm borrowing the candleholder my mother used for their unity candle. We're also borrowing his mom's tapers. We bought the column. It signified even more to use the tying of our families...

If its something you want to just say you "borrowed it" how about the wine glasses? Or the cake servers? Or even the aisle runner?

You might even be surprised and grandma might give you her bracelett from her wedding....you never know! :)

SouthBayBaby Posts : 1 Registered: 10/2/08
Posted: Mar 24, 2009 12:28 AM Go to message in response to: JVe

When my sister got married she borrowed an anklet of mine, which was perfect beacuse it was personal and didn't clash with anything (it was under her dress!)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine