Bohemian Wedding

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 30

Earth Posts : 10 Registered: 2/12/09
Bohemian Wedding
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 12:22 PM

I need ideas for a bohemian wedding. Something earthy and otherworld like. If you think you have something I would love to hear it.

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Re: Bohemian Wedding
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 12:30 PM Go to message in response to: Earth

I would think that the location for the ceremony would be the first thing to really focus on. Someplace totally natural, like a state park or a peice of woodland forest. The dress for the party could be elegant if you wanted, but it could also be cotton sundresses and khaki pants. The reception I would envision as very low key, like a finger foods buffet that people could carry around on little plates and chat with friends and family. The decor would be very natural and there should probably be an emphasis on reusing, reclycling and reducing as much as you can.

That's just my impression of a "bohemian" theme. :)

IMG_7463.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 2:11 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

Thanks those are very good ideas. If there is anymore out there I would like to hear them.

ErikaLinnea Posts : 4 Registered: 12/1/08
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 2:23 PM Go to message in response to: Earth

Hmmm... I picture lots of ivy; in bouquets and as the centerpieces, maybe around a trellis. I think of antique silver bowls, vases, and pitchers on the tables. Definately local flowers, maybe wildflowers. Flowered head wreath instead of a veil. Buffet... served dinner would be too stuffy. Natural foods on platters - not designed within an inch of its life - more like a cornoucopia. Wine or mead instead of cocktails. Lacy, almost victorian wedding gown... not a ball gown but flowy and comfortable.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 3:05 PM Go to message in response to: ErikaLinnea

I was thinking of a potluck instead of catering. We have some good cooks in the family. These ideas are great any more?

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 3:18 PM Go to message in response to: Earth

What do you mean by potluck? Do you mean just asking a few family members to help with food (so basically, the emphasis is on homemade food?) Because I think that is okay. But I wouldn't ask each of your guests to bring a dish...basically a "feed yourself" wedding...might not go over well.

I bet you could find some really nice flowy dresses to go with your theme. Although what exactly does "Bohemian" mean? I'm kinda dumb :P I have lots of ideas inside my brain, so maybe I can help if I understand the theme more!

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 3:20 PM Go to message in response to: Earth

I think a potluck would fit your bohemian theme, but I would really approach that carefully. Ask the family members if they dont' mind cooking for that many people, and just ask particular family members, I think. I wouldn't require ALL guests to bring a dish unless that's something that's commonly done in your and your fiance's families.

IMG_7463.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 5:49 PM Go to message in response to: Earth

dear Earth,

Ah, a bohemian wedding. That takes me back to the 1960-70s, when I was young. We had such weddings back then as a welcome change from the ultra-formal starched collar events of the 50s and early 60s.

Sigh.

Now, back to 2009.

Check out the wedding dress in Forrest Gump. That is what you are looking for, more or less. You want something with lots of lace, embroidery, lots of fabric, and very flowing. No structure like today's strapless dresses which practically require a nineteenth century corset to keep the bridal boobs in place. The groom should be in a "puffy" shirt, with huge sleeves and embroidery on the front. It would be great if he had long hair, too, and a Beatles Sgt Pepper type moustache. No Marine high and tight haircuts here. Pants for the groom would be, ideally, well-worn Levi jeans. Both would be in sandals.

As for the potluck. Hmm... even in my Hippie Youth I would have never asked invited guests to bring their own food. It's one thing to have a theme; it's quite another to be downright rude. If you want to talk to immediate family members about catering the wedding within the family, that's fine. But don't put "bring a covered dish" on the invitations that go out to the general public.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 7:51 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Definitely a ceremony in a field of daisies or sunflowers! Flower wreath and ribbons in your hair. Wildflower bouquet. Bare feet or sandals. Flowy cotton dress. Groom in unbleached cotton. Vegetarian (or at least organic) menu. Ahh, memories!
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 8:04 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Dear Myra,

I just knew I'd see you here. Ahhh... the weddings of our youth.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 10:06 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Thank you everyone, my potluck idea was because there was only going to be family and close friends. I was going to ask them first and my fiance wanted to make it into a BBQ but I don't know. If there are anymore idea please share. I'm getting some great ones down.

adrigirl01 Posts : 287 Registered: 10/2/08
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 10:37 PM Go to message in response to: Earth

As for the 'potluck" idea, I'm doing something similar. Not asking all guests to bring something, just that some of my closer family members will be catering it in a sense. The parents, the MOH and her MIL volunteered to make some stuff, and a couple aunts, uncles...people who want to help.

I would suggest very natural looking center pieces and certainly involve ivy. One thing my fiance and I are doing for our center pieces is taking twigs and building our own centerpiece holders, then putting one of those oasis things in them to stick the flowers/greenery into.

Posted: Mar 17, 2009 5:08 PM Go to message in response to: adrigirl01

I want to have lots of flowers.

Posted: Mar 23, 2009 12:45 PM Go to message in response to: Earth

Do you think a sun dress is to casual for a wedding? I wanted to wear a nice sun dress to go with the theme of the wedding but my mother has the wedding dress idea and she never got her wedding.

tessandnate09 Posts : 136 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Mar 23, 2009 1:31 PM Go to message in response to: Earth

It depends on the sundress, but ultimately it is YOUR wedding. Your mother may have not had a wedding but your the one getting married and you need to wear what is comfortable for you. On the subject of dresses they have a lot of beautiful cotton dresses out there now, but there are a lot of sundresses that are lovely and summer like. What is your budget for the dress? You don't need to spend a bunch of money if you don't want, and don't get pressured into something you don't want or aren't comfortable with.

The day he becomes my husband and I become his wife...September 5th 2009

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine