BEDS!!!

Online Users: 1,296 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 22

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
BEDS!!!
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 11:47 PM

Hey ladies!! Need to pick your brains!!! So one of the first things I REALLY want FH and I to buy is OUR bed!! I just think as husband and wife it'll be nice to have our own bed and not old hand me downs.
SO, my question is.... where do you find great beds for decent prices? And MATTRESSES!! What one is best? Sleep number? Tempurpdic? Mattress Firm? I've been looking around, but wondered if any of you ladies have recently purchased a new bed/mattress and know of any deals? We'd really like a dark wood sleigh bed. I want a good quality bed to last a long time, but can't pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars on it!!
Any suggestions and hints would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! Thanks girls!!

"Come What May... "

MrsRicecake Posts : 700 Registered: 2/2/08
Re: BEDS!!!
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 11:53 PM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

We just bought our bed about a month ago. Its AMAZING! Its a Serta Pillowtop, its the one especially made for Macys. Every time I get into it I turn to DH and say 'This is the BEST bed EVER!!!" And we only paid 599 for the set! We laid on many a bed before we purchased, it by far beat the $2000 dollar bed!

Married Since December 27, 2008!

Posted: Mar 9, 2009 11:59 PM Go to message in response to: MrsRicecake

FMR- thanks for the info! I'll have to look into those!

"Come What May... "

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 12:08 AM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

We bougt a Serta pillow top and we love it! we paid $1,700. for our mattress set. But we feel it was well worth it. I will say this much it's a Cal-King and very hard to find comforters and sheets for- they styles are very limited. =( When we found one we liked it cost $300.00 then another $125.00 for the sheets. UH I take really good care of this comforter---hate to have to replace it.---

So my advice if you must go big--just do a king and Serta is really good and has a great warrenty.

mygirlssmallpic.jpg picture by im_sweet_teenk

Brides.com Detective

CountryPrincess Posts : 673 Registered: 9/25/08
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 2:44 AM Go to message in response to: nanette927

I bought FH a new bed for Christmas since he has back problems. We now have a Simmon's Beauty Rest World Class Edition Extra Plush Pillowtop Mattress. It's a queen size. It has independant coils which is supposed to help relieve pressure points and reduce disruptive movement. It comes with a 10 year warranty that basically covers everything that could go wrong with the bed. We absolutely love it. It has reduced FHs back pain and we sleep so well! I paid $1200 for the mattress, the platform (not a box spring but similiar), plus set up & delivery. The warranty was included in the price of the mattress which was nice. I'd have to say the only down side is that it is 15 inches deep and most sheets are only 12 inches deep so finding sheets was a pain in the but.

"I don't care how much it hurts. I don't care if its a brick wall disaster. I'd rather fight with you everday than be happy for one second with anyone else." <3

Kevin & Mari: 11/09/06 to Forever.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 7:42 AM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

Dear Brooke,

A relative of mine suffers from back pain. He and his wife recently bought a Tempur-pedic, and they both love it. My relative said he's never had such a good nights sleep.

Me? I'm sleeping on a family hand-me-down and it's wonderful.

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 10:08 AM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

We had the best time bed shopping, what I suggest you both go out and actually test them.....Yup, both "test drive" the matteress...meaning, both lay down on them and actually lay on the bed as if you at home. Do you feel eachother move around? Is there enough support that you both need? Are you both comfortable?

We ended up with a serta with a pillow top.....the only down fall....since I'm heavier than DH, my side of the bed slopes down, and the matterss can't be flipped (like you can with the coil matteresses).

Good Luck.

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 10:14 AM Go to message in response to: Mrslinnben

Girls I'm loving the info! Thansk so much! So from what I'm getting pillow tops are great, but only for awhile? They seem to sink? Or are they durable? I'd love to get a Serta but they are running over $1000!!! I just don't have the money for that :( I found some other brands but just don't want to pay a decent amount of money and then in a few months we can't sleep cause the mattress is so uncomfortable.
Who knew buying a mattress would be such a to do! I'll take a PP advice and go test some out and see what I think for sure! :) Too bad FH is in FL working, so I have to do it by myself, but I think he trusts my judgement! haha!
Thanks again ladies, I look forward to hearing more bed stories!! ;)

"Come What May... "

CountryPrincess Posts : 673 Registered: 9/25/08
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 10:59 AM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

Pillow tops tend to sag faster than regular mattresses because of the individual coils instead of coil pockets. Tempur pedics tend to sag also but I'm not sure why since we never really looked into them. Our bed is from Simmons (like I said earlier) and has a 10 year warranty. In that warranty it includes getting the bed replaced if there is a 1 inch sink anywhere in the bed. The only deal is that we have to keep it on the Simmons platform and keep a matress cover on it ... both of which are things we would do anyway. So if you want to go with a pillow top, I'd suggest going with one that has a warranty that will replace your matress if it sags.

"I don't care how much it hurts. I don't care if its a brick wall disaster. I'd rather fight with you everday than be happy for one second with anyone else." <3

Kevin & Mari: 11/09/06 to Forever.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 6:53 PM Go to message in response to: nanette927

Nanette, I've found some amazing deals for Cal. King on Overstock.com (with no tax and no shipping charges). Also, you can have great luck at Tuesday Morning or Homegoods, and my daughter bought an really beautiful comforter set at Stein Mart (I didn't even know they had them!)
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 7:41 PM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

Before I read everyone else's answers I gotta answer!! We own a queen sleepnumber bed. It's been nick-named the "lego" bed because that's what the boxspring reminds us of! LOL So if you're going to be moving, or have a narrow staircase or anything it's GREAT!! I like that we each have our own side and can operate it independently. (check--not ALL of the queens are) I DO still feel him move, wish I could say I don't. Of course what I feel is him tossing and turning, not little movements. (Which is better than our traditional bed) Personally though we are looking to upgrade to a king-size bed. We're not small and add 2 cats...you get the picture! They have a new king bed that you can have an adjustable foundation with it (think craftmatic adjustable bed!) and that's what I've been lusting after! It even has MASSAGE!! LOL

Proud member POOP - People Offended by Offended People

enb22 Posts : 11 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 11:23 PM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

I have a queen size Serta mattress that has the memory foam pillow top. I love the thing. I don't really feel my husband flopping around at night and my back is never sore. I actually bought the mattress and boxspring at Sam's Club. I believe I paid under $700 for the whole set.

Erin

MrsHF Posts : 368 Registered: 10/12/07
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 2:51 PM Go to message in response to: enb22

We have a Tempur pedic and we love it. It took a bit for DH to get used to it, but now we wouldn't have anything but. Unfortunately it's very expensive, we just got the basic mattress/boxspring and it was $3200 (for a king). If we hadn't gone with this one, we would have gone with another pillow top (Serta).
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 4:36 PM Go to message in response to: MrsHF

I'm commenting on this without checking the actual name of my mattress, but I love ours! It's a Seally.. and instead of the pillowtop, it has a layer of memory foam on top, similar to the tempurpedic. So you get the same feel of a memory foam mattress, for the price of a pillowtop. I believe we paid around $800-900 (can't remember) Queen size with delivery, and we got it at Raymour and Flannigan. It's super cozy, and has a 10 year warranty.

Posted: Mar 11, 2009 7:49 PM Go to message in response to: SteffMay2009

Ladies!! Thank you all SOO much for your advice and info!! On my day off yesterday I went to a local furniture company and they were having a big sale. So after looking online at bedroom suites that I liked I went down and checked them out! I found a whole bedroom- sleigh bed, 2 night stands, dresser with mirror and tall chest of drawers for an awesome deal!! Then I tested out the mattresses, who knew that buying a mattress would be so difficult! I layed on several and it came down to 2 pillow tops. I finally chose one and I'm sure it's going to be wonderful to sleep on someday!!

Since FH is in Florida now I just had the store hold it and when I move down after the wedding they will actually just have everything delivered to us down there from one of there local stores down there!! Sweet!!

So I'm VERY excited about it and can't wait for us to sleep on our OWN bed as husband and wife!!! YAY!!

But thank you all again for all your help! I'm sure it will help many other ladies on here too!!

"Come What May... "

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine