Dress for a petite bride, help!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 20

renee520 Posts : 2 Registered: 3/2/09
Dress for a petite bride, help!
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 8:16 PM

I've been searching for my wedding dress and so far, I haven't found a style that is flattering on my small frame. I'm 5'2" and about 100 lbs; pretty small. Everything I have tried on looks like I'm swimming in it. I'm interested in what anyone else chose who are about my size. Thanks for any advice! :)

sjhc132 Posts : 164 Registered: 3/18/08
Re: Dress for a petite bride, help!
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 8:43 PM Go to message in response to: renee520

hi renee...davidsbridal.com offers a link to see the dresses in petite sizes...you may want to consider something more form fitting like a trumpet/mermaid style dress vs. the ballgown/princess style dresses
Bridal Gowns Style T9612 - Allover beaded lace trumpet gown with empire waist and cap sleeves.Bridal Gowns Style VW9340 - Beaded lace trumpet with godet inserts at skirt hem and charmeuse sash.Bridal Gowns Style SV9563 - Charmeuse V-neck halter with ruched surplice bodice.Bridal Gowns Style CRL538 - Allover beaded lace mermaid with scalloped sweetheart neckline.Bridal Gowns Style T9397 - Strapless taffeta side drape with metallic beaded lace bodice and trumpet skirt.User submitted photo

i was meant for him and he was meant for me :)

lindseyjs82 Posts : 2 Registered: 2/29/08
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 11:59 PM Go to message in response to: renee520

I am also short at 5'3, though not as skinny. Haha. I also had a hard time with dresses. I felt like the dress was wearing me and I was drowning in fabric. I tried on quite a few dresses at David's Bridal but could not find anything I liked. I know that traditionally wedding dresses are to the floor, but I am having a summer wedding on an island (and not in a church) so I felt like I could stray from tradition a bit. I found this dress at Alfred Angelo that I fell in love with:

I think the biggest things to look for when you are petite are minimal layers of fabric. Princess dresses and ball gowns tend to overwhelm small frames. Since you are short and thin, you would probably look great in a empire waist dress like this:

Or a dress with only one or two fabric layers that fits close to the body like this:

I would avoid head to toe embellishment, heavy fabrics and dresses with a lot of layers.

Lindsey

http://weddingstylesforless.com

Edited by: lindseyjs82 on Mar 5, 2009 12:00 AM

TulipLuvr Posts : 43 Registered: 1/21/09
Posted: Mar 5, 2009 9:36 PM Go to message in response to: renee520

Try a bias-cut or empire waist gown...two of my best friends and the shortest people I know (one is 5 ft. 110 lbs. and the other is 5 ft. 2 in. 116 lbs.) are each getting married this summer. One bought a bias-cut dress and the other purchased an empire waist gown and they both look at least 4 inches taller. Here are the dresses they bought (BTW: they're both from J.Crew):

BreAnn Posts : 600 Registered: 11/28/07
Posted: Mar 5, 2009 10:12 PM Go to message in response to: renee520

I'm also short. 5'2" around 120 lbs. However, I went A-line. I personally, am not a fan of tight fitting bridal gowns. I wanted something a bit poofy but not ball room poof. Here is what I wore.

sorry if that pic is huge. There was a bit of beading on the top, however the only beading on the bottom was the design you see on the back, it was also on the front

Bride2BeSoon Posts : 21 Registered: 4/29/08
Posted: Mar 5, 2009 11:49 PM Go to message in response to: BreAnn

I have your exact problem! I am 5'2 and weigh 107. I bought my dress at Davids Bridal (like many of these ladies suggested)... They are awesome to work with and I ordered my dress in a petite. It came in and I need NO alterations. It is perfect! :)

guayoya Posts : 1 Registered: 3/7/09
Posted: Mar 7, 2009 7:41 PM Go to message in response to: renee520

I know what you are talking about I am 5'3 and 96 pounds. I have a dress for you if you want it is brand new and with tag. I have it in Ivory Size 0 petite. I haven't done any alteration.

Here is the link:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&catentryId=1000169

Just let me know.

Thanks,
Debi

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
Posted: Mar 8, 2009 11:32 PM Go to message in response to: guayoya

I'm so glad that I found this post! I'm going dress shopping next Friday and I'm so nervous about it. I'm 5'1" & 93 lbs. Chest: 32" Waist: 23" Hips 32" Those are just some difficult measurments to fit properly. For any small gals who have went dress shopping, did they have anything NEAR your size? I'm really dreading going and having to try on average sizes that swallow me and look awful. Plus, I was a pageant kid for many many years, which has made me EXTREMELY PICKY with dresses. The problem is that I have NO CLUE what I want though. I don't know if I want strapless, sweetheart, halter, empire, dropped, A line, long train, no train, straight, poofy... I'm going to be one complicated bride...ugh. The only person excited about going dress shopping is my MOH haha. For people who have already picked, did you really just know it was "the one?" I always seem to find some little something that I don't like about a dress... How in the world am I supposed to pick a dress that I know i'll still love 8 months from now??

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 12:42 PM Go to message in response to: renee520

I am 4'10" and 105lbs. I went with a mermaid style dress that had sort of an empire waste. I was told to avoid ballgowns since they are a lot of dress. It can make a petite girl look even smaller.

Some designers make gowns hollow to hem. They will take the regular design of the dress and "shrink" it to a smaller frame, custon for your body. The company I ordered from did it at no extra charge. Whe you go dress shopping, ask for companies that can do this.

Empire or dropped waist dresses are great, as are straighter cuts like a-line.

Don't worry - you will find your dream dress. Us petite gals just have to look a little harder.

Don't make me go Brooklyn on you. I have brass knuckles and I know how to use them.

P.O.O.P.E.R. - People Offended by Offended People Executive Recruiter

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 1:09 PM Go to message in response to: renee520

My MOH is getting married 9/05/2010 she is about 5'1-5'2 ish at first she wanted a short dress she was planning on the beach. Then she changed her mind on location and is having it here in Las Vegas and she found alot of "traditional" dresses she loved. So out of the blue we both liked this tea legnth dress it was in the middle of what she liked also the price was great. We hope when it comes in (in her size) doesn't make her look so "petite". (this stupid thing wouldn't let me shrink the damn pictures--grrr- sorry they are so big.)

mygirlssmallpic.jpg picture by im_sweet_teenk

Brides.com Detective

BreAnn Posts : 600 Registered: 11/28/07
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 6:08 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

WWB - I did find one dress that fit me perfect and I wouldn't have had to alter at all. It was a petite dress from DB. It was actually my choice until I tried on the dress I got.

As for not getting ball gown dresses. I agree. I went A-line. I tried a ball gown and it swallowed me whole! Big and poofy is not for short and little people. LOL.

Posted: Mar 9, 2009 6:43 PM Go to message in response to: nanette927

nanette that is an absolutely beautiful dress:D!

purelovebridals Posts : 2 Registered: 3/9/09
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 10:57 PM Go to message in response to: renee520

Try this website. They offer sizes 2 - 30 and free shipping.

http://www.purelovebridals.ecrater.com
PureLove Bridals

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 11:57 PM Go to message in response to: sjhc132

AWE thanks. You wont believe how much she bought on ebay for! It's a Mori Lee and it sells for $400. She bought it for $45.00 s/h included! NWT.

And has anyone else noticed anything "fishy" about this post? hummmmm

mygirlssmallpic.jpg picture by im_sweet_teenk

Brides.com Detective

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 12:30 AM Go to message in response to: nanette927

something fishy about my post?

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine