Homemade wedding gifts

Online Users: 1,281 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 16

savex389 Posts : 506 Registered: 8/10/07
Homemade wedding gifts
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 12:33 PM

So this year it seems like all my friends decided to either get married or have a baby, I'm happy for all of them but my check book is not! Just with in the next two months I'll have 3 baby showers and 4 weddings along with the bridal showers and bachelor parities that go with them!
I just want to know if anyone has given or recieved some cute homemade gifts as wedding presents, I'm pretty crafty but I usually need an idea to start out with.
Thanks guys!

kwidener21 Posts : 98 Registered: 1/26/09
Re: Homemade wedding gifts
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 1:04 PM Go to message in response to: savex389

My grandmother takes cloth dipers and embroiders the babys name or something like that on them and then gives them at baby showers as burb rags!! They are really beatiful, if you order them they can be quite expensive, but since she has an embroidery machine they cost like 5 bucks for a set of 3!!! You can also do this on Towels for newelyweds... I looked around here and the cost or emboridery is not that much even if you don't own your own machine, like 12 bucks a name!

Lilmisssouthern... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/12/08
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 1:05 PM Go to message in response to: savex389

Maybe you could make one of them a scrapbook from pictures of them? It can be fairly cheap and easy. I have made them and they are great gifts usually. Personalized photo frames. Or something to decorate the babies room in for the mommy-2-be. I will let you know if I think of anything more

Can't wait to be  a Mrs.

http://www.mywedding.com/shannonandbrandon<magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
Free Disney Tickers

Posted: Mar 4, 2009 1:09 PM Go to message in response to: kwidener21

kwidener21: thats a great idea! My MIL has an embroidery machine so I would just have to pay for the thread and whatever I'm putting the name on. I think i'll do that for the baby showers and I'll keep an open mind for the weddings.
Keep the ideas coming ladies!
Drm: I'd do the scrapbook if I was actually good at it, I haven't even done my own wedding pictures and I've been married over a year. Scrapbooking isn't one of my strong points, I wish someone would just do it for me.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 1:10 PM Go to message in response to: savex389

My mom makes some baby blankets. She goes to Hobby Lobby and buys two types of those soft fleece material in some kind of cute color scheme. Then she takes yarn and kinda does yarn knots at intervals throughout to tie the two together (for babies, she cuts the extra yarn all off so it is just a knot). She also does the thing where she slices bits on the edge all the way around and knots the two together.

Depending on the fabric chosen, these can be cute. The regular pattern does not call for the yarn in the middle, but my mom does it because it makes it more secure and less 'puffy'

Misty

Visit our Wedding Website

C.A.T., P.O.O.P.

Posted: Mar 4, 2009 1:14 PM Go to message in response to: savex389

For weddings: Go to Hobby Lobby (armed with a coupon) and get the candlemaker or the soapmaker. That will be your biggest cost at $40 (but with the coupon, you can get it for $20 to $30). You can then make spiffy soaps or nice candles for everyone -- and you can do it in their colors-- favorite scents. For example: I love teal, pink and blue. My favorite scents are vanilla or cinnamon. Usually Vanilla comes in something creamy whitish and cinnamon comes in reds and oranges. But YOU could make me a teal candle in cinnamon or a pink one in vanilla. Or... I love those things, but I'm allergic to scent. All the really pretty candles tend to have a scenet, but YOU can make me one that won't set my allergies off! (Same is true of spiffy soaps)

(plus if you get good at it, you can put it up on etsy and start making some money!)

Misty

C.A.T., P.O.O.P.

Posted: Mar 4, 2009 1:17 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Cat: Soap and candles! thats a great idea too! I could even put like little pressed flowers in them or something, thanks! It would be nice to get good at it and be able to sell them to make a little extra money.

Edited by: savex389 on Mar 4, 2009 1:17 PM

We2Heart Posts : 452 Registered: 10/11/07
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 1:21 PM Go to message in response to: savex389

My parents got a homemade gift from one of their friends for their 25th anniversary. I guess his hobby involved wood because he took their vow renewal invitation and "antiqued" (is that what it's called?) it and glued it on a carved piece of wood block which he stained and laquered. It was so cute.

Another friend of my parents made them a working stained glass wall clock. That was cool. He took pieces of broken stained glass and fused them together somehow and then got pieces for the clock parts from a hobby store.

I guess my parents friends are big into their hobbies though. I'm not sure how much work you want to put into the gifts, these obviously took some time.

Are you familiar with the families of the brides and grooms at all? Something easy might be to ask their parents for pictures or something from both and then frame a collage that represents the both of them.

I tried to think of other ideas but all I'm coming up with are picture frames...sorry I couldn't be of more help. Usually I'm good with handmade crafts. For a baby shower maybe make a customized feeding pillow for the mom?

~~~~~~~~
together is a perfect place to be because it's there that you can be delightfully imperfect. and there's nothing closer to perfection than being loved just because you are. 

Posted: Mar 4, 2009 2:04 PM Go to message in response to: savex389

Thanks!

I'm actually making the candles for our wedding, in our wedding colors. AND after that is done, I'm going to go get the soap thing and make soaps for our OOT guest bags. FH is in the process now of making me a custom mold in our wedding logo (He's making frames for our aisle decorations, in our wedding logo.) The soaps will be in our wedding logo and in the center will say: "Misty & John, September 26, 2009. Thank you for sharing in our celebration." (or something like that) They are actually pretty good sized too.

(That's the logo and a mock up of what the frames will look like)

Misty

C.A.T., P.O.O.P.

Posted: Mar 4, 2009 2:50 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

that will look really nice, you should post pictures when the candles and soaps are all done so we can check them out.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 3:00 PM Go to message in response to: savex389

Dear Savex,

In today's economy, I'd like to bet there are plenty of people just like you who are looking for inexpensive, but nice, handmade gifts for their friends.

Others have give you some great suggestions. Here's another idea.

Do you cook?

How about giving them a nice heatable dinner, like a casserole, once a month for their first year (six months) of marriage? Something they could put in the freezer, then pop out and heat up for dinner. Lasagna might be nice, too, if you are good at that.

Regardless of what you decide, remember there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG with doing the best you can afford within your budget. Do not even think about apologizing for not running out and buying a $400 vacuum cleaner off their registry. Do the best you can with the resources you have, then hold your head high.

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 4:29 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

I ADORE home made gifts!!

The only thing that I can come up with at the moment are those fantabulous jars that you see around where all the dry ingredients are all layered all pretty in them for cookies or a cake, then you tie the recipe on and all they have to do is add the wet ingredients and they have fresh baked yumminess! I would LOVE to get a whole bunch of those becuase I love fresh cookies but hate all the work that goes in to them.

Some pictures in case I'm being unclear. I can't tell if I am or not at the moment. lol :)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_lxoeRfEfiS8/SYRwaXPiI0I/AAAAAAAAB9Y/9qY0paD-9BY/s400/02-11-09+SASIB+Jar+2.png

http://www.realfood4realpeople.com/images/GiftinJar.JPG

IMG_7463.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

Posted: Mar 4, 2009 5:22 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

I love those! They even have books now called "Gifts in a Jar" that have the list of ingredients and assembly requirements PLUS cards you attach to the gifts with instructions.

Misty

C.A.T., P.O.O.P.

TRACYJOHNSONBRA... Posts : 42 Registered: 2/8/09
Posted: Mar 5, 2009 2:15 AM Go to message in response to: savex389

A suggestion for homemade gifts is a pasta dinner for two at home.

Go buy a fancy pasta, a small jar of sauce, a sauce packet, or make some homemade sauce, get a basket and if you're so inclined a small bottle of wine or sparkling cider, and arrange it in the basket. You could alson include a couple of candles in it as well.

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Mar 5, 2009 9:26 AM Go to message in response to: TRACYJOHNSONBRA...

To build on the PP's idea.. I went to a jack and jill where they had a "date night" basket as a raffle prize and it was so cute, it might work for a wedding gift! They bought a cute romantic comedy (one of the $9.99 ones at target) included a homemade blanket, and inexpensive bottle of wine w/two cool glasses (from pier 1 for $4 ea) and a candle. It was so thoughtful and neat the way they packaged it, everyone wanted to win it!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine