How do you drop hints about which ring you want

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

robinrolex Posts : 6 Registered: 3/3/09
How do you drop hints about which ring you want
Posted: Mar 3, 2009 8:13 AM

Hey everyone,

I'm 80-90% sure that my boyfriend is going to ask me to marry him in the next few weeks, I've been talking to some of his friends - I think he's just working up the confidence! It's been coming for some time though and we've been together ages.

How do I go about dropping hints about which kind of ring I'd like? I'd really like something like this: http://www.platin-ice.com/onlineshop.aspx?PId=81 but how do I get this through to him?

Robin.

bunnybear05 Posts : 157 Registered: 1/7/09
Re: How do you drop hints about which ring you want
Posted: Mar 3, 2009 3:00 PM Go to message in response to: robinrolex

I just told mine what I like. He did end up getting it for me, for the most part. But when it comes to gifts for x-mas and birthdays, he refuses to get me what I ask for as he likes to pick things out. Luckliy he has pretty good taste. I also am pretty close with his sister and she knew what I liked and made sure he knew.
Honestly, I am sure you would be perfectly happy with whatever he ended up picking out, even if it doesn't look like the one you choose. He keeps telling me that I can change it in about a year, but I'm not big on that idea. Its like I have gotten attached to it and want to keep it. The only thing is that the band is white gold and the gold is starting to show through. Now, I really don't like gold and I am having a hard time finding a wedding band that fits well with the ring. So i think we are gonna swtch out the stone onto a matching set in platinum. But in all honesty, I don't really want to.

I'd say show him something in a magazine like it and say, Oh doesn't this look classic? I love how blah blah blah" Or if he would get turned off by that, you sound like your close to his friends, let one of them know.

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Mar 3, 2009 3:14 PM Go to message in response to: robinrolex

Don't beat around the bush just tell him. If you have something in mind let him know otherwise you will disappointed and when you tell him you don't like the ring he chose you could hurt his feelings or make him angry. Take him shopping, show him on line whatever it takes but don't drop hints it could backfire on you.

Kenny and me perfect together, 10 years and counting

Sucks to be you, So glad I am me

Proud Member of P.O.O.P,  People Offended by Offended People

wedding websites

AmyLarr Posts : 8 Registered: 2/23/09
Posted: Mar 3, 2009 3:27 PM Go to message in response to: robinrolex

Leave a magazine or brochure lying around with the page folded and the picture highlighted.

If you share a computer let him see E mails of you discussing a particular style with a friend.

Leave your computer open to the site with the product you would like for him to see.

tell him, his mom, sisters or brothers.

There has to be some more posts about this topic. Have you searched at all?

PrincessDee Posts : 58 Registered: 1/6/09
Posted: Mar 3, 2009 3:57 PM Go to message in response to: robinrolex

I favor the direct approach with these things, but it depends on how much you and your bf have talked about it and whether you'd be comfortable with that. I would basically ask him how much input he wants you to have and go from there. He might not want you to pick one out, but he might be comfortable with you telling him what types of styles you do and don't like, stuff like that.

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Mar 3, 2009 8:50 PM Go to message in response to: robinrolex

I told him what I wanted. I emailed him links of rings that I like. He was so worried that he would pick the "wrong ring" that we ended up going shopping for rings ourselves! That way I was sure that he got the "right ring" lol. Maybe you can email him links. Tell him, "hey check this out, I think it's very pretty". But even with hints being dropped guys are clueless. But oh well...just be happy with what he gets you :) Or you two can go shopping for rings together and that way you know that you will get exactly what you want without being disappointed.

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

Stephorse Posts : 138 Registered: 1/31/08
Posted: Mar 3, 2009 9:34 PM Go to message in response to: robinrolex

I loved using the e hints on helsberg diamonds website and other national jewerly stores have something similar where you can send him a wish list. He really appreciated it because he would have been too overwhelmed to have choosen the right one. I say using those were great and maybe they can help you get the hint across without actually having to talk to him about it, which I wanted some mystery and surprise in the whole thing, so the e-hints were a nice way to do that.

manderz421 Posts : 17 Registered: 2/7/09
Posted: Mar 3, 2009 10:49 PM Go to message in response to: Stephorse

Ohh man!! I came right out with it haha! We had been talking about it or a while and he knew I wanted to get engaged pretty soon, so I had no problem sitting online with him in the same room looking at rings. I then proceeded to print out pictures of the rings I liked, wrote Ring Ideas on top, and wrote down my ring size and handed him the papers! We had also looked at rings together in jewelry stores, but now that we're engaged I think he had already bought the ring by then and was just throwing me off. So yeah, definitely just tell him or show him pictures.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine