Key West!

Online Users: 1,251 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

SweetSunset Posts : 159 Registered: 1/15/09
Key West!
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 11:18 AM

I know there are other ladies out there that are throwing their wedding in Key West! Lets share ideas!

forlife77- I loved your welcome bag idea from the other thread. Where did you book your ceremony at? Have you booked your reception?

We're having our ceremony on the beach at Fort Zachary Taylor. Our reception is on the pier at the Ocean Key Resort. Our colors are tropical blue, pink, and green. The guest list is 50, and I'm now looking at save-the-date magnets. We have a website, so all the wedding details will be on it. We're looking at flight, hotel, and rental costs now too for our guests. We'll probably start looking at the photography, wedding cake, flower thing next month. I havn''t looked at wedding dresses yet, I'll do that next month too.

forlife77 Posts : 12 Registered: 2/23/09
Re: Key West!
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 3:27 PM Go to message in response to: SweetSunset

Great - I love this thread! We've never been to Key West, so I've been relying on advice, books, and the internet to plan it all.

We are getting married on Smathers Beach, at sunset on November 21st - thats the only thing we've gotten booked solid so far. We picked an all in one package that includes the seating, decor, flowers, and photography for the ceremony. I am expecting about 20 guests from all over the country to join us for the weekend.

Still researching hotels, reception venue - we're not sure if we are doing a private reception or a nice dinner out as a group yet, transportation, rehearsal dinner, activities, where to get my hair/makeup done. I have some things in mind, but nothing 100% yet.

I also already have my dress, but still looking for a shorter dress for after the ceremony. I have a very talented friend making my wedding cake that I will transport dow very carefully, we are driving from the Tampa area.

Little by little its all coming together, I am definitely having a blast with all!

I'd love to hear everyone's Key West experiences, I open to advice - lets keep this thread going!

Tasha ~ November 2009 Bride to be ~

Marrying the Man of my Dreams!

10 Years as Friends; 7 years in Madly in Love, Engaged for 2 - Its about time and we are so ready!

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 11:07 AM Go to message in response to: forlife77

Hi Tasha!
Its so exciting that you're having your wedding in Key West like two weeks before mine! Our Sunset weddings are going to be very beautiful. I go to Key West all the time (we live in miami) so if you have any questions on the area, I'd be happy to help or recommend some things. Key West is so romantic, and I love Duval Street. Lots of bars and hang-out spots. You're guests will have plenty to do and lots to see. There is a lot of good history around the island so I recommend taking a tour.

If your looking for a unique way to get your guests from your ceremony to the reception, you can reserve the key west Conch Tour Train or their trolley. We just looked into this and the train goes for $10 per guest one way. The lady who runs it said that we should make our reservation as soon as possible because things book up really quickly during that time of the year. Are you sending out save-the dates? Thats what I'm working on now and this is the one that I'm thinking of getting, they are magnets:Tropical Scene SquareOf course the info will be different.

forlife77 Posts : 12 Registered: 2/23/09
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 4:00 PM Go to message in response to: SweetSunset

I was actually looking into booking a trolley for transportation - our wedding coordinators told us about that, its tough for us to book too much right now, because I am still not sure exactly how many people are coming, but we've been calling into hotels about group rates trying to see where the best fit for everyone will be using my best guesstimates. $10 pp is not bad though, did they mention how much of a deposit - I will have to call them soon, I was hoping the week before Thanksgiving would not be too busy since there are no big events happening that weekend, but we don't want to miss out on anything for waiting too long - so thanks for the heads up.

I love those save the date magnets! I am sending ours out as soon as we finalize the guest list. We went with the ones from orientaltrading.com, I will scan one when they get here.

Have you stayed at the Inn at Key West before? It was also recommended, as well as the restaurant inside the Pier House resort.

Good luck with you planning, I haven't really started my wedding website yet, I think thats next on my agenda.

Tasha ~ November 2009 Bride to be ~

Marrying the Man of my Dreams!

10 Years as Friends; 7 years in Madly in Love, Engaged for 2 - Its about time and we are so ready!

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 7:31 PM Go to message in response to: forlife77

Definitely get that guest list in line before you do anything. Heres the email for the train: tosterhoudt@historictours.com, Her name is Tammy and she'll send you an email explaining the different options. Lots of options!
I was like you, thinking that it wouldn't be too crazy between holidays but my coordinator says its just as bad and I've been looking at hotels and bed and breakfasts, they are selling out quick for my date anyway.

I definitely want to see your save the dates. I love the Oriental Trading Co, they have the cutest things. I love their inflatable beach balls, I'm going to throw those in the welcome bags.

I don't know who recommended the Inn to you, but you probably don't want to stay that far away from all the action. By action, I mean Duval Street and the Sunset festival as well as the museums and such. There are a lot of cute and inexpensive bed and breakfasts (its kinda what Key West is known for) all around Duval Street. Just do a google of Key West Bed and Breakfasts and you'll get a good listing of them. I've stayed at most of them and will say they are all unique. This is a place that thrives on tourists so most of the accomodations there are nice. Lots of good restaurants everywhere. I'm trying to think of specific restaurants, but there are so many. For your reception you could look into the Grand Cafe in Key West, I know they do receptions cuz I've seen it and they've got good food. Also, look into the Roof Top Cafe, you could have your reception on the roof overlooking all of Key West there. That would be pretty cool!

ArubaBride2010 Posts : 17 Registered: 8/21/07
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 1:52 PM Go to message in response to: SweetSunset

I like your save the date magnets sweetsunset. May I ask where you go them from?

Thanks,

Amy

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 2:02 PM Go to message in response to: ArubaBride2010

Hi Amy,

I'm glad you like them! I got them here www.agiftfulheart.com/tropical_save_the_date.htm
They have a lot of different ones to choose from, especially ones that are in heart shapes.

Sarah

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 2:23 PM Go to message in response to: SweetSunset

Thanks Sara, I will take a look at the website as I want to do the save the date magnets as well. We will be getting married in Aruba, March 2010. I have been to Key West a few times and I love it, you can't beat those sunsets.

Amy

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 9:34 PM Go to message in response to: ArubaBride2010

Aruba?! Thats soo exotic!! I've never been but I'm sure you'll have an awesome time and great pictures :) Those save the dates would be perfect for you. I know you're still about a year off but have you planned anything else besides the save the dates? Time goes by so fast...

Posted: Mar 2, 2009 3:38 PM Go to message in response to: SweetSunset

Sara,

I have been to Aruba one time and it's beautiful. I surprised my boyfriend for his 40th and he surprised me and purposed to me on a sunset catamaran. I have not order my save the date magnets, I have just been looking at them on line. I have so much to do for the wedding and it seems so over whelming.

amy

FutureMrsGillum... Posts : 23 Registered: 1/24/09
Posted: Mar 22, 2009 1:14 AM Go to message in response to: SweetSunset

My FH and I are getting married in Key West in April of 2010. This is a great thread. We have been to the keys before and are staying at Lighthouse Court which I totally suggest. It is very nice, right across the street from the Hemmingway House and everyroom has a view of the Lighthouse.

We found a really nice couple that is doing our ceremony and photography. They also have given us some good leads as far as stylists and transtportation. We are thinking of the Key West Trolley, it is $11 a person with a 20 person min. I haven't found my dress yet. still to soon I think but I have plenty of ideas.

We are having a small reception at the hotel and then heading out for a late dinner. If you have any suggestions on dinner let me know.

I also have a sunset cruise planned for our guest, that is really fun. And the alcohol included is nice for some of our party friends. We met a couple that had just gotten married on our first trip to the keys on one of the cruises. They were very nice and inspired us to take another with our guest

BrewerPhotoVideo Posts : 9 Registered: 4/27/09
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 11:28 AM Go to message in response to: SweetSunset

Key West is a blast! Find a photographer/videographer willing to travel around a bit for portraits as there are so many amazing locations you will want to capture. See if they'll take you into the Butterfly Museum as well because there is nothing prettier than a bride surrounded by butterflies! And, have them take you out to Mallory Square at Sunset when the sailboats are all floating by - it is amazing! We once did a wedding out on a schooner at sunset - they took over the whole boat on New Year's Eve. Nothing like sailing with a glass of champagne in your hand at a beautiful wedding. Plus you can be married by a ship captain - how cool is that?!

The Southernmost Hotel is really affordable and will accommodate a lot of guests - 2 pools and right on the strip. The Marrero House is supposedly haunted if you are into that kind of thing. The Red Rooster is also a gorgeous B&B for weddings!

We travel for weddings and have been to Key West before so don't hesitate to contact us!

Congrats, girls! Have fun in the Keys!

Julie Brewer
www.brewerphotovideo.com

Julie Brewer

Brewer Photography & Videography

http://www.brewerphotovideo.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine