My cats are sick :(

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
My cats are sick :(
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 12:17 PM

I'm taking my cats to the vet tomorrow, they havn't been to the vet in YEARS (I know I am bad). But I never found a need to take them because they are...well were...healthy. Since Monday they have been throwing up and they have diarreah. They eat but then hours later it just comes all out. I am worried that something is seriously wrong with them and so I will bring them to the vet. They are old cats too (11 and 13). I am afraid that they will tell me it's time for them to "go" :( I need support guys....

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

lori83 Posts : 1,852 Registered: 3/30/06
Re: My cats are sick :(
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 12:55 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

I am sorry your cats are sick. Glad to hear that you have an appointment for them to see the vet.

Have you changed their food recently? Are they outdoor cats? Could they have gotten into something that made them sick? Have you added any new plants to your home?

Let us know what you find out. I have three kitties and I worry so much when they are not acting like themselves. Good luck.

mrslilysolovely Posts : 2,130 Registered: 7/24/06
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 1:05 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

I am sooooo sorry Cheetah!

Yes, take them to the vet tomorrow - but here's what to do right away!

Go to the store immediately and get baby chicken food and a medicine dropper (can be found in baby aisle) - they are not keeping their food down because it is totally not digestible in their state and consuming it is just going to make them miserable. If need be, dilute baby food just a bit with water.

Also, put a pan of water on the stove and add a teaspoon each of salt and sugar to 1 cup of water - disolve and cool - make sure they have at least one, two if you can get them to cooperate, droppers full per hour - this will keep them hydrated with levels of sodium and glucose as near to normal as you can manage. Make new pan of sodium/glucose water every 4 hours.

It is very important to keep them hydrated and not feed them regular food at this time, they will love the baby food and it is extremely digestible and very good for their tummies right now.

I hope all goes well at the vet tomorrow.

MandyandVance Posts : 650 Registered: 4/10/06
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 5:34 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Sorry to hear that your kitties are not well. I know you already know this but preventive medicine is key! You really need to take them to the vet evey year (the vets I work with recommend twice yearly at their age). Even if you don't want to vaccinate them at least get their check up done. You have to remember that cats age very quickly and a year is a lot more of a life span to a cat than it is to a human.

With the symptoms you have described I am hopeful that they are not deathly sick. Usually when animals are really sick they lose their appetite but you said they are eating. If they are eating and then vomiting and having diarrhea I would withhold their food and only offer them water for about 12 hours. When is the appt tomorrow? Also you need to make sure they don't go too long without food as they can develop fatty liver quickly.

Are you sure they haven't gotten into anything? If it was only one cat with the intestinal upset then I would think otherwise but because they both have it is is suspicious. Have you changed their foods at all? If not the vet may want to do some blood work or x rays to help get a diagnosis. But because you have said this has been going on since Monday they may be getting dehydrated and be in need of IV fluids.

I hope I helped and let us know how the appt goes!

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 9:57 PM Go to message in response to: MandyandVance

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. The weird thing is that I have not changed their foods and they have not gotten into anything, at least not that I am aware of. They are still eating some dry food, which is a good thing. They are also drinking some water. They seemed playful today when I came home from work. They begged me for food but I was strong and didn't give them any more food that they already have. So far today they have not puked so that is good. I am stll bringing them to the vet tomorrow and hope for the best. I think from now on I will bring them there regulary since they are old cats. Thanks again and I will keep you updated.

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 8:53 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

My kitties update incase some of you were wondering....I took them to
the vet and the vet said they look healthy! I was surprised. He said
their fur looks shiney and healthy, their eyes, ears, and mouths look
good. He felt their tummys and it felt fine. He took their temperatures
and they were normal. He weighed them and they are not under weigh. So
aside from the vomiting and diarreah he said they look great. He said
they don't even look dehydrated! He gave them a pill and I will have to
give it to them once a day with food. He also gave them some dry food
and a powder that I am supposed to mix in. He said that if by Monday
they are not better then to take them in for blood work and xrays. So I
am hoping that they get better over the next couple of days. He said it
is probably some bacterial thing since both of the cats are sick at the
same time. So we shall see. I'll be praying...

MandyandVance Posts : 650 Registered: 4/10/06
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 9:26 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Good to hear that your kitties will be alright! I will cross my fingers that that meds work!

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Feb 28, 2009 12:48 AM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Yay!!! Glad to hear that they look good and should be fine! Check out the Confessions thread - I was hoping to hear about them but then I went ou on my way home. :-)

Love my furbabies so I know!!

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Feb 28, 2009 1:43 AM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

That's so weird that they both got sick at the same time - but wait, are you sure it's BOTH of them throwing up, or could it be just one? (Meaning, have you witness both cats vomiting?) Maybe they got into something (garbage, etc) and got upset stomachs from that.

Last year, my one older cat suddenly started throwing up non-stop. Turns out, she developed an allergy. We're not sure to what though! Hypoallergenic food didn't help, and neither did the pill they recommended, so she gets some kind of shot every few months - that seems to work!

My point? Sometimes it can take a bit of trial and error to diagnose animals! But 11 isn't too old for a kitty, so hopefully it's nothing too serious!

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Feb 28, 2009 1:57 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

Bird - They both could have gotten into something. That's what I thought with her post and other posts in other threads. Otherwise, I would have thought the same as you.

Posted: Feb 28, 2009 4:17 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Thanks guys :) So far so good. It's been past 24 hours and no puke or diarreah. One of the meds is giving the cats a pill to take. Yup a PILL. That's a project in itself.One cat I gave it with turkey and the other cat with tuna. That seemed to work :)

mrsJLA Posts : 445 Registered: 5/25/08
Posted: Feb 28, 2009 4:47 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Cheetah - Glad your kitties are feeling better. You're lucky they eat the pill with the food! With my cats, that would never happen!

Jaime :)

Wedding Pictures and the Furbabies: http://web.me.com/me182a

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine