Economical VS Desirable

Online Users: 1,293 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 26

MrsJDAlexander Posts : 1 Registered: 2/22/09
Economical VS Desirable
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 8:23 PM

Okay, first I should say that my fiancee and I are getting married on the beach and he will be wearing a blue shirt and khaki pants. We are soley responsible for paying for the wedding, honeymoon, plus our other day to day expenses so saving money is a really big deal right now. So I have found two dresses. One I love, love, love - the other I really really like. There is a $300.00 difference in the dresses which makes the decision so hard. Do I really want to spend more for the dress that I really love or save the $300.00 for the honeymoon or some other expense? The first dress is the less expensive one that I really like and would look great considering the wedding is on the beach and my hubby to be will be so casual. The second dress is the one that I just absolutely love. Any input will be so appreciated!!

asg450 Posts : 3 Registered: 1/2/09
Re: Economical VS Desirable
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 11:16 AM Go to message in response to: MrsJDAlexander

I love the second one as well; however, the first is more fitted for a beach wedding. You may be overdressed next to your fiance if you wear the second dress.

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 1:57 PM Go to message in response to: asg450

I have to agree with asg450

That second dress is absolutely stunning, but even though it isn't a full length dress, I do think it is a little too formal looking considering the groom's attire

If you like the look of the lace, maybe jazz up the first one and either make your own lace sash for just uner the bust and add some lace sleeves or have a seamstress do it. It wouldn't be very expensive. Of course that is if you just want to glam up that first dress a bit.

I don't think it's necessarily too dressy for a beach wedding, more so standing next to yolur groom. Another option would be to have the groom dress up a bit more, maybe a suit...could keep the buttons undone...

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 2:02 PM Go to message in response to: MrsJDAlexander

I like the 1st one for a beach wedding.

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 2:15 PM Go to message in response to: MrsJDAlexander

I like them both but you may want to also consider that the first one won't have to be tucked away never to be worn again. I can see you being able to wear that one again. Had I not been self conscience about my legs/ankles, I would've done something like that for my beach wedding. But alas, I did not and now have a dress that I paid too much for and will never, ever wear again.

Member and Co-Founder of POOP:   "People Offended by Offended People"

Photobucket 

kwidener21 Posts : 98 Registered: 1/26/09
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 2:25 PM Go to message in response to: MrsJDAlexander

I'm very much in the same situation... I'm paying for my wedding on the beach, but absoutly fell in LOVE with a dress, that would look amazing on the beach, but it kind of out of budget, I could find a cheaper one, but I'm not sure that I"ll be as happy... It's your one and only wedding, I think that you should pick the one that your going to look back and see pictures of and be happier with!

Toast Posts : 480 Registered: 9/10/08
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 2:31 PM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

I like both dresses. I was actually looking at the first one for my bridesmaids!

However, the second dress is much more "bride like". I think it fits into a beach wedding, but it might be too formal for what your groom is wearing. An easy fit to that is to just have your groom dress up a little more. Or, you can leave him in what he is in too. A nice navy blue suit jacket with khakis would look nice.

I agree with the other posters, dress #1 can be worn again to other events.

Have you tried either on? See if you can find a place that has them and see how they look on your and how you feel in them. It might be worth it to save the money if dress #2 doesnt make you jump out of your skin. But, if dress #2 makes you feel like the ultimate princess, it might be worth the $300 to get that one.

Either way, they are both nice! Good luck!

audra2013 Posts : 145 Registered: 6/18/08
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 10:40 PM Go to message in response to: Toast

The first dress is from Alfred Angelo right? David's Bridal just got a new gown in that looks very similar to that dress but with slightly less beading. Before you make a decision I would say go check that dress out first. I feel like the second one does look more bridal, but the first looks more beachy, so its a tough decision. If I were making it, I would choose the second one (but like I said, see if you like the David's version first, it may help make the decision!)

wedding tickers

mrsJLA Posts : 445 Registered: 5/25/08
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 11:11 PM Go to message in response to: audra2013

Is this the david's dress? (they have lots of pretty tea length dresses in their Galina line!) Sorry the link part isn't working!

http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&categoryId=-49998986¤tIdx=1&subCategory=-49999486%7c-49998986&catentryId=1000180

Jaime :)

Wedding Pictures and the Furbabies:

http://web.me.com/me182a

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Edited by: mrsJLA on Feb 23, 2009 11:12 PM

Edited by: mrsJLA on Feb 23, 2009 11:13 PM

Edited by: mrsJLA on Feb 23, 2009 11:14 PM

bella24 Posts : 24 Registered: 9/28/08
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 11:43 PM Go to message in response to: MrsJDAlexander

i like the 2nd one better.. it has a lot more details the first one its too sample. but it depends on you on what are you trying to achieve with your look...

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 7:15 AM Go to message in response to: bella24

Here's the New DAvids bridal one! Galina Style: T9698

Totally sweet! And it's listed on teh Davids Bridal webite for $399. I'm guessing that's between the two prices you were debating before? I think this one is the perfect solution! IT's a little beachier than the Alfred Angelo one, and with a small hem job to the back of the dress, could be worn again!

IMG_7463.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

forlife77 Posts : 12 Registered: 2/23/09
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 10:27 AM Go to message in response to: MrsJDAlexander

I personally love dress #2! Its gorgeous, my bff sent me this link a few weeks ago, the dress is very similar and only $130 from peridress.com.

wedding dress Style 1774NT

Here is the link:
http://www.peridress.com/shop/product.php?productid=496&cat=29&page=5

I hope that helps - I like dress #1 too, but its a bit too plain for me for a wedding. I love the lace details of #2!

Tasha ~ November 2009 Bride to be ~

Marrying the Man of my Dreams!

10 Years as Friends; 7 years in Madly in Love, Engaged for 2 - Its about time and we are so ready!

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 11:52 AM Go to message in response to: forlife77

Personally, 100% number 2. I like the short length for the beach, but it's still glamorous and bride-like. Maybe have your fiance wear a blazer or something for the ceremony to make him a little dressier. While I respect the practicality of being able to wear a dress again, it's your wedding dress, and it should be special and something you love.. $300 is a small difference to have to "settle". I could see if it was $1000 or more, but for $300 I say go for it.

WinterBrideToBe Posts : 94 Registered: 11/8/07
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 12:20 PM Go to message in response to: MrsJDAlexander

Ill be honest, I absolutely LOVE the 2nd dress, however I am in the same position you are in, as my FH and I are paying for all the expenses, so when it came to dress shopping I was trying to keep that in mind so I didn't fall in love with a dress that was $10k!! I ended up finding the dress of my dreams, but in an attempt to be as responsible as possible when dealing with such an important aspect of the wedding I decided to go with a dress that I liked a little less, but was still beautiful none the less, for thousands less than the dress I had originally wanted. It was hard at first, and I was a little bummed, but very happy about the HUGE amount I saved, and to be honest, I now LOVE my dress, and don't even remember what the first one looked like (I deleted the pictures of it so I didn't have to look at it :)
Anyway, I am thrilled that now I can literally pay for the entire photography portion just with the money I saved by not buying that first dress!

I say for those of us paying our own way, or even for those who have parents helping... Save your money, you will be happy when you are married and want to relax to not stress about having to pay down debt! :)
wedding countdown

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 12:25 PM Go to message in response to: MrsJDAlexander

I really like the 1st one better especially since you are having a beach wedding :)

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine