your last name...

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 54

mobride09 Posts : 519 Registered: 3/5/08
Re: your last name...
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 3:44 AM Go to message in response to: bella24

I am actually really excited to take FH's name. My name is very unique, and I am proud of it, but it is so long and nobody can spell it. FH's last name is a short, 4-letter name that everyone can easily spell. I will finally be able to sign my name in a short time. As of now, my signature is my first initial and my last name because it takes too long to sign my last name!

With you and I defying gravity, they'll never bring us down!

forlife77 Posts : 12 Registered: 2/23/09
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 9:16 AM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

I will be hypenating my last name. I put alot of thought into this, honestly he is not too happy with it, he'd rather I take his, and that be that.

The issue is, I have a son from a previous relationship who has my maiden name. He is the last one with the name on our family tree - my dad had all sisters, and 2 daughters, so me and my son are the only one left with the last name. My son wants to change his last name once he is adopted, but i really don't want him to. It means alot to me that he has my dads name (and its a much better last name IMO)

It gets more complicated though, as we have a daughter together, with his last name! So, once i am married, I will have both the childrens last names - with a hypen in between. It just works out best.

You decide to do whatever you want - its your name and no one can tell you what to do, just remember once kids are in the mix, you'll need to choose a last name for them. My FI would never accept his daughter not having his last name, so you might not be able to give your kids your maiden name anyway -- unless he is willing to change his to yours. There is alot to think about!

Good luck with your decision!

Tasha ~ November 2009 Bride to be ~

Marrying the Man of my Dreams!

10 Years as Friends; 7 years in Madly in Love, Engaged for 2 - Its about time and we are so ready!

KPM Posts : 577 Registered: 1/20/08
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 2:58 PM Go to message in response to: MrsJohnson2010

Mrs J -
Yes, you can have 4 names. I presently do as I kept my middle name, added my maiden name and took my grandmothers maiden name when I got divorced. Though I usually go by my last name, my middle initials sometimes confuse ppl

When FH and I get married, I am replacing my middle name with my maiden name and taking FH's name. We end up with the same initials then

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cheesecake in one hand, rum in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 3:50 PM Go to message in response to: KPM

Yep you can have 4 names without hyphenating - that's what I did but I treat my maiden name as a second middle name.

example. Lisa Marie Presley marries Bart Simpson ==> Lisa Marie Presley Simpson

You can choose to use both last names or make Marie Presley your middle names.

TheNewMrsJ Posts : 754 Registered: 1/6/08
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 4:51 PM Go to message in response to: MrsJohnson2010

haha yeah...

love the banner in your sig btw!

legally i sign everything with just his last name, but to make the work transition a little easier i go by first maiden last, so my clients didn't get all confused. Plus, for art stuff I can still go by just first maiden as it's part of my middle name, although companies (like the bank and DMV) get really confused and seem to think it's a double last name and I have to correct them.

Friends since December 1997
Together since December 2006

September 13, 2008
Legally, I became his and he became mine.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 5:23 PM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

I considered doing that for work, but clients have to make travel arrangements for me at times and I have to fly overseas - so i opted just to change it on everything.

For legal docs, I sign with two middle initals. But I only use the first one for other things.

facen Posts : 120 Registered: 11/8/08
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 10:21 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I personally didn't want to take my husbands last name, only because he has been married before and I didn't want the ex using my new name, since we have been married I use my name and his name until I feel like I want to change it.

loveisjoy Posts : 85 Registered: 2/6/09
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 11:08 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

My last name is going to be my middle name due to property purposes. I don't want to go through any problems with my property, so I am going to keep my maiden name as my middle name. My FH isn't comfortable with it, but I explained to him I am going to have your last name, I am not going to hyphen my last name. I was but he was totally against it.

2009ToBeMrsV Posts : 256 Registered: 12/30/07
Posted: Mar 3, 2009 4:29 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

I can completely understand your feelings and where you are coming from. I too have an uncommon last name and my family is not very big, plus I have a very close father/daughter bond with my Dad so my last name is important to me. But when it comes down to it I will always be a insert maiden name in my heart and throughout my life. Taking on my FH's last name will just be another sentiment to add to my heart. Chosing your FH's last name is not giving up your maiden name or who you are or where you came from. I've decided I want to take on FH's last name, our names don't go together and they are far too long to hyphenate, but I feel it is a necessary step towards furthering our "togetherness" and bond and for establishing our future family. Everyone is different though and if you want to keep your maiden name then that is what you should do, but just remember if you chose your FH's last name you will still always be a insert maiden name.

I hope this helps

Engaged: January 1, 2008
Getting Married: September 19, 2009

Ultimaangel Posts : 6 Registered: 3/7/09
Posted: Mar 7, 2009 11:14 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

WOW...This one's an easy one for me!!! I have lived for 17 years with the last name LAMP...come on!!! I am so ready to become Mrs. Lawrimore!!! Plus my Fiance is adopted into the Lawrimore family b/c his momma could not have children...He is all they have...I am honored to be able to continue the Lawrimore line...I am even going to give my first son my fiance's father's middle name...Brantely....but kids are YEARS away....lol....I am prepared to be engaged and underage...not pregnant and underage....
~~~18 Days Left Until My Baby Graduates  Basic Training~~~

MrsMcDAtLast Posts : 860 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 1:14 PM Go to message in response to: Ultimaangel

There was no debate about it for me, I was taking DH's name whether he liked it or not! lol I wasn't attached to my maiden name at all. While not uncommon, it wasn't really incredibly attractive, and since my family drives me nuts (I love them, but they make me crazy sometimes), changing my name from theirs was no tragedy for me. Plus, my DH's last name goes GREAT with my first name, and if/when we have children, I love the idea of our whole family having the same name.

BallycastleBride: That is so cool that your FH is going to take your name! :)

adrigirl01 Posts : 287 Registered: 10/2/08
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 1:29 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcDAtLast

I am taking my FH's name, but from reading through the thread I realized that adding my maiden name to my middle name is an option, and I think I'll do it. Especially since my current last name is one that isn't entirely uncommon as a first (although I think it is mostly used on boys, that's okay). I really like my last name, but I also like FH's last name. It'll be switching from a Welsh name to an Irish one...and I'm okay with that :) It's just my first name sounds long and so does his last, so it annoys my sis, lol.

HokieBride07 Posts : 12 Registered: 5/4/09
Posted: May 6, 2009 12:05 PM Go to message in response to: adrigirl01

I'm struggling with the whole name things as well. I like my last name and it is not only unique but short as well. Like some of you, I am the only one in my family with an advanced degree and like the idea of keeping it with my M. Ed.. Plus, my FH's last name is super common and I really do not want to take it.

I want us to have the same last name for all of the reason others have mentioned, and I like my middle name because it is a version of my mom's name and that is special to me. So, I do not want to change or add a middle name either. For a short time I had him convinced to take my name, but I don't think he will really go for it. I don't really like the idea of having a legal name and going by another name. I want them to be the same.

The latest thought was to combine our names with no hyphen, and both of us take it. He does not seem to be keen on the idea. I have no idea what to do!

DoesntPlayNice Posts : 809 Registered: 12/17/08
Posted: May 6, 2009 12:16 PM Go to message in response to: HokieBride07

Hokie:

From my personal experience Hyphenating my name has been the biggest mistake I have made. It is sooo confusing for everyone! I finally got my job to drop my maiden name in my email because who is going to remember amber.Jones-Doe@workplace.com (that was all made up so don't email it LOL)

Plus then I had to try to change stuff over and my whole hyphenated name didn't fit on my credit cards and stuff. It was soooo annoying! So I may eventually drop my maiden name off and just use my married name. I go by my married name anyway.

every last name I have had (i've had 3) I have had to spell for people because no one can remember to put a C in "Sch" and my new name everyone thinks i am saying "G" instead of "D" my name from my first marriage everyone thought I was saying "sex" instead of "sox" so going to a common name like Smith would have been a relief to me!

Previously Posted as Military Bride.

CEO of E.N.E.M.A. (Enemy Negotiations & Extraction Military Agency) A special Division of P.O.O.P. (People Offended by Offended People)

When POOP can't do it alone....they call for the ENEMA.

MrsDeLouis Posts : 167 Registered: 11/10/08
Posted: May 6, 2009 4:19 PM Go to message in response to: 2009ToBeMrsV

I've thought about this a little bit but I guess it's time to really think about it since we've actually set the date and whatnot. I too am in the situation where I have only a sister and my last name is dying out. I'm not all that particularly close to it, but I live in the same town where I, my father, and my grandparents grew up. So everyone knows my name, hence everyone knows me, which isn't always a good thing. (But it did get me out of a speeding ticket once.) I have thought about hyphenating, but it just sounds too strange when put together. Thankfully, my career isn't up off the ground yet as I'm still finishing up my degree since I started late so that isn't a problem. I already know that my first name and his last name sound good together as he has a little cousin with the same name as me. So with all that said, I think I'm still sticking to my original decision and taking his name.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine