Should I buy dream dress early?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

chicochik Posts : 236 Registered: 10/16/08
Should I buy dream dress early?
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 10:23 PM

I am getting married Aug of 2011. So I really shouldn't be buying my dress until around aug of 2010. However, I found the one. I'm about 99.8% postitive. I'm sure that trying on others would jsut help me make up my mind. I am having an outdoor wedding with the reception in a barn, and while the ballgowns looked nice, they just were not right for my wedding. I didn't feel like myself. I also like the tighter lacy dresses, but being plus sized, those just don't work for me. i really like the flowy greek empire dresses, but sometimes find them too plain and almost pregancy like. I found an amazing dress still for $400. As many brides, I want to lose around 20 lbs or at least tone my arms and back. So question is: do I buy early or wait? If I buy early I have an amazing dress, but may need to get taken in if I lose weight. If I wait, it may get discontinued. If I choose this dress, I would buy it in August. Too broke now.

Here it is:

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Re: Should I buy dream dress early?
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 10:39 PM Go to message in response to: chicochik

Have you actually tried this dress on? If so, do you have pics you can post? I think that if you have tried it on(and many others as well) and you absolutely love it, then go for it!!! When I first went to try on dresses, I told the lady I was in the process of losing weight. She told me it takes TWENTY pounds to drop one dress size!!! I was shocked! I asked a different shop and they said the same thing. I was also told that dresses can be altered down 2 sizes. So if you are losing more then 40 pounds, order the gown a size smaller, but then you HAVE to lose the weight! You could also ask the sale lady to give you a call if the gown should be discontinued. I am sure it will be by the time you are ready to order(since your wedding is far out), so you could hold off at get a discount! Either way, good luck!

www.mywedding.com/samanthaandpatrick/

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 11:56 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

I have tried this dress on. I tried it on in a 14 or 16- I forget. It didn't quite do up all the way. I am also the heaviest I have ever been and idealy would like to lose 40 lbs but more realistically 20-30 would be awesome. Since it is so simple ( no beading) I'm assuming that it would be easier to take in. I do have pictures, but they are on my cell. I will hunt for the cord to put them onto my computer.

Posted: Feb 23, 2009 12:31 AM Go to message in response to: chicochik

Ah here are pics of dream dress on me! Sorry for the poor quality.

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 12:37 AM Go to message in response to: chicochik

Its a really pretty dress. I think you should ask the sales assoc to give you a call if and when it gets discontinued so that you don't lose it. Just tell her right now you don't have the funds for it and are not willing to open up a credit card, but will figure something out if it gets discontinued.

www.mywedding.com/samanthaandpatrick/

aprilb Posts : 4 Registered: 1/18/09
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 6:29 AM Go to message in response to: chicochik

The dress is beautiful. If you love it, you should buy it when you can. I bought my wedding dress early and it has helped with decreasing wedding planning stress. Knowing that I have the perfect dress for one of the most important days of my life has made planning the other details easier.

I hope this helps.

April

Stylish Events: Simple, Stunning, Budget-Friendly.

http://stylisheventsblog.com

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 7:56 AM Go to message in response to: chicochik

Hi chicochik:

I couldn't see the ones from your cell phone. Did you upload them to your album here and then copy them over or did you just clip them in?

The dress looks like iti s a beautiful one -- very elegant.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Misty

Visit our Wedding Website

C.A.T., P.O.O.P.

Posted: Feb 23, 2009 8:55 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Lets try this again. I have them in a friendly forum for young brides.

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 9:04 AM Go to message in response to: chicochik

Chico,

I think this decision depends a lot on your personality. Are you an indecisive person? Are you a discplined person? If you are indecisive and feel that in the next year and a half you might change your mind many times, then I would hold off on getting the dress now. If you are not disciplined enough to STOP LOOKING at other dresses once you buy this one - then I would hold off. BUT If you can stop looking at other dresses and you are generally a pretty decisive person, than I think you should get it now. $400 is an excellent price, the dress is VERY pretty, and perfect style for the wedding you are describing. Personally, I would get it at that price and then make myself not shop or look anymore for other dresses.

As far as losing weight, I wouldnt worry about that right now. You have a long time to go, so just make sure from the store that if you needed to later on, you would be able to take it in a bit at that time. Honestly though, from your picture both in the dress and at your signature, I dont see how you are calling yourself plus sized. You look really quite small to me! And I think you look really beautiful in the dress.

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

Posted: Feb 23, 2009 12:27 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Thanks. I would I am pretty darn decisive. Honestly, price does have a big factor. Like for my grad dress, it wasnt everything I wanted but it was only $70, so i bought it and never looked back. Everyone keeps saying I don't look plus sized, such a great compliment. The bridal lady says I am, so I just went by that. I am normally a 14ish, 180 lbs 5"2. But when I put that dress on, I felt 5"5 and 130 lbs, so pretty and slim and wonderful.

From house of brides.com with shipping and taxes, it would come in at $482.00

Edited by: chicochik on Feb 23, 2009 12:32 PM

Toast Posts : 480 Registered: 9/10/08
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 12:37 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I also like the dress and think it looks good on you and fits the style of wedding you are describing.

I also agree that you dont look plus sized. and just because your wedding dress is a 14 or 16 doesnt mean you are plus sized...most dresses run VERY small!

Anyway, I bought my dress 21 months in advance! For the same reason as you. It was simply perfect! They DID discontinue my dress back in January, so I ended up buying the sample dress from the shop and savng over $600! The sample fit me...it was a little snug in the belly, but they way they would have to hem it, I they would essentially take it apart under the bust, and hem it from there, so when they put it back together the fuller part of the skirt would be at my belly. so, essentially, it fits me well now.

I am also planning on loosing weight and toning up, so if I do, they can take it in some where it needs it. And, if all else fails and I dont loose as much as I want, then it fits now too.

If you really love it, can get a good price on it, and are going to be disciplined to NOT go shopping, lol, then get it now. Maybe try to buy the sample when it goes on "Clearance". Usually, once they discontinue the style the bridal shop will cut the price in half so they can get rid of that sample.

Assuming the sample is in good condition...mine was, i lucked out. And, assuming you can fit into the sample now...or you can probably fit into it if you loose 5 lbs. I would NOT buy a dress that was way to small now and you HAD to loose 20lbs to fit into it. What if something happens and you dont fit into it? I had to take allergy medicine for over a year that made me gain over 30 lbs even though i was constantly working out. and i didnt gain muscle! so, things happen...you have to take that into account.

And like the bridal shop said...they can usually take a dress in 2 sizes without a big deal. I personally would rather spend an extra $200-300 in alterations to KNOW that the dress will fit me in 2 years rather than blow $400 now and have it not fit, and then have to look for another one later.

Good luck deciding...it is very nice!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine