Postage Increase on 5/11

Online Users: 1,355 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 21

SoonetobeMrsA Posts : 31 Registered: 12/27/07
Postage Increase on 5/11
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 12:03 AM

Hi all,

So, I was just looking around at invitation stuff (doing them myself), and I was looking for the requirements of RSVP postcards (size wise and such, which I still don't know). I figured I'd look at usps.com, and the first thing I see is that the postage is going up .02 on May 11. Now I don't see this affecting my invitation, as those will be sent out at the end of next month. What concerns me is the RSVPs. The wedding is May 30th, and I figured I'd have the RSVP by date as May 15th-ish. I figure that even if I bump it back to before the 11th, there will be stragglers, and I would feel so terrible if the cards got sent back to the sender for an additional cent of postage.
I'm just frustrated by the whole postage increase- and I figure that there may be some folks sending out their invitations soon that may not know about it.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: Postage Increase on 5/11
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 12:21 AM Go to message in response to: SoonetobeMrsA

Yeppers. There have already been a couple of threads about it.

But it's good to post again because some may not know.

Stock up on those Forever stamps for the RSVPs, STDs, Thank you notes!!

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 12:34 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Dang, I looked to see if there were any threads about this, but I didn't see any (but admittedly, since they changed the format, I haven't been so good with these message boards- worst. format. ever). Oh well. Yet another reminder for people, I suppose.
I'll stock up forever stamps just on principle, but I am still annoyed by the price hike. At least it won't affect the actual invitations.

MotoMiller Posts : 17 Registered: 1/30/08
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 12:35 AM Go to message in response to: SoonetobeMrsA

In your post, you said that you didn't want the cards to be sent back to the sender for the additional postage if they were to send the cards back later than thought. With that being said, traditional etiquette is that the original sender (aka...you) are to not only put postage on the outside envelope, but the RSVP card envelope as well. It should not be the responsibility of the guest to pay to send it back. There are some cool etiquette websites that helped me out with do's and don't on many aspects of my wedding. Good luck.

The Future Mrs. Miller

Every breath of who you are
Tells a story that I love
I have finally found the truth
In what I see in you

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 12:53 AM Go to message in response to: MotoMiller

Oh, I know I put postage on the RSVP- my point is that even if I had the RSVP by date as April 30th, there would probably be people would would send theirs late, and I wouldn't want it to be sent back to them for a couple of cents more postage on top of whatever postage I have to put on there pre-increase (in case I use rsvp postcards or whatever). Although, frankly, it would be their own fault for not doing it on time. Hmmm, perhaps that is the way to go...
And as a sidenote, I just went to look into ordering a slew of Forever stamps from USPS.com, and of course, their stamp ordering section is down.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 9:40 AM Go to message in response to: SoonetobeMrsA

Costco has Forever Stamps by the 100 and they are slightly less than at the post office AND there is no tax on them at Costco.

Misty

Visit our Wedding Website

C.A.T., P.O.O.P.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 10:17 AM Go to message in response to: SoonetobeMrsA

and thanks for reminding me. I needed to do a weight test. I'm sure that the kit we bought is less than 1 ounce, but we're doing a wax seal on the back and we needed to know how much it weighs with that. So, I've got my wax paper with the wax seal. I'll be taking it and an invite into work on monday to weigh.

Misty

Visit our Wedding Website

C.A.T., P.O.O.P.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 10:40 AM Go to message in response to: SoonetobeMrsA

Ladies,

The best strategy is to stick Forever stamps on your RSVP cards. That way it won't matter when the invited guest puts the card in the mail, before or after the postage rates increase.

MrsSy Posts : 504 Registered: 7/6/08
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 11:44 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Aunt,

It's ok to hand deliver wedding invititations? When we were asking for the mailing adddress, one of our firends told us that FH can just give it to him at work.

I just order the forever stapms online.

Can't wait to be Mrs. Snyder

Proud Member of the P.O.O.P.

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 11:55 AM Go to message in response to: MrsSy

Usually it's considered poor etiquette, but I figure if they asked for it....

However, if he is not inviting everyone from work, then you really should mail it. That could create some problems in the work place.

lori83 Posts : 1,852 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 12:52 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

AOTB,

I don't believe forever stamps are available for postcards which is what OP was inquiring about.

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 1:01 PM Go to message in response to: SoonetobeMrsA

Soontobe, How many invites are you sending out? Is the 2 cent jump going to really make that much of a difference? Even if you are sending out 200 invites that's only a $4.00 increase.

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 2:16 PM Go to message in response to: lori83

I'm still figuring out how many invites I need to send out, but it's just the principle of the matter. It's too easy to have the mentality of, "Oh, it's just a few dollars more" because that seems to be how everything goes with weddings. Eh, it's just me trying to be cheap, although I still secretly like the idea of bumping up the RSVP by date up a week or so to penalize people who are late. But that's because I am secretly evil. Well, not so secretly now

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 3:06 PM Go to message in response to: SoonetobeMrsA

I can certainly understand the saving every penny you can. Bump the RSVP date up and save the money. Some people, no matter what, are going to be late sending their RSVP. Just set a date that you need to know the count by and whatever responses you haven't gotten by that date you can follow up with phone calls.

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 3:18 PM Go to message in response to: lori83

Actually the OP was looking into post card sizes, etc. If the RSVP goes in an envelope, it will not be considered a post card by the USPS. So the forever stamps will be great.

If the RSVPs are actual postcards, then she can get by with less postage.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine