Brides with bad skin

Online Users: 1,268 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 33

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Re: Brides with bad skin
Posted: Jan 27, 2009 12:29 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Art,
That's really interesting that you said mineral makeup helped you. I bought the Bare Escentuals starter kit and I still have quite a bit of it left. I had to stop using it because it made my skin seem very oily and actually caused me to break out even more. Obviously that just goes to show that what works for one person may not work for the other.

Tobi & Brian - April 21, 2008

Photobucket

Sandals Grande Spa & Beach Resort, St. Lucia

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
Posted: Jan 27, 2009 12:58 PM Go to message in response to: Earthies

Earthies- I'm now 25 and have dealt with acne since 6th grade. Inherited it from mom- my brother got it too. BAD- ALL over the face, all over the chest and all down the back. Had to wear t-shirts over swimsuits because it was so embarassing. If you look at my school pictures I'm always red in the face (usually from some cream a dermatologist prescribed that didn't work but made my face so dry I looked like I had sunburns) and full of zits. SO, after many years of trying every topical cream and even oral meds like Trycycline and birth control, my derm finally prescribed Accutane. I swear to you it's the only thing that helped me. Yes it dried out my skin so I had to really keep up with the lotions and lip balms, but after a few weeks I noticed less zits and by the end of the treatment I was actually zit free!!! And it's lasted for YEARS! Only now am I starting to notice a few pimples here and there. While I wouldn't suggest Accutane lightly, I think it's a great option for someone to discuss with their derm when they've exhuasted all other possibilities. They would monitor you closely with bloodwork and the like. MAKE SURE you're not pregnant or that you're not going to get pregnant- the side effects on babies are devestating. They make you go on birth control to get on it, which wasn't a big deal for me because I was on it anyway to regulate periods. And it can have some kidney issues if you're on it too long, but I went through 2 rounds of it and never had any side effects accept the drier skin. But again, I kept up with moisturizer and lip balm and it wasn't as bad. It might just be something to talk to your derm about. If you start it earlier and it works for you it would get you pimple free before the wedding and most likely be out of your system by the time your wedding comes so you wouldn't have to worry so much about getting pregnant. It is kind of pricey, but with my experience it was a great investment for me. But make sure you talk to your derm about it and see if it would be the best course for you. Best of luck!

"Come What May... "

LilTuffGirl Posts : 301 Registered: 11/4/08
Posted: Jan 27, 2009 12:59 PM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

mineral makeup actually gives me dry skin. And really doesnt show up. Unless I just need a darker shade. I just make one heck of a mess with the stuff! lol

http://www.ezticker.com/ticker/1642/214/20090829/our+wedding/ticker.png

True love never lives happily ever after - true love has no ending

LilTuffGirl Posts : 301 Registered: 11/4/08
Posted: Jan 27, 2009 1:04 PM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

Oh yea..
I am talking about the Acnetix! AWESOME stuff! Other than the smell... lol You were actually the reason I got it. I said heck if someone on brides.com says it works for her i'm going for it!! And so far so good! If it gets rid of everything i'm going to be the happiest damn person EVER and will for SURE toss all of my foundations! Granted I still need some bronzer or something since i'm pale. But WOW i've wanted to toss out the foundation for a long time but couldn't because of the redness and bumps :( Yet I know the makeup is one reason I have them! lol
Today I have to stay inside since the roads are slush thanks to the 4" of snow. (although I went to the gym this morning before it started raining and really screwing things up). so i'm going makeup-less today.

http://www.ezticker.com/ticker/1642/214/20090829/our+wedding/ticker.png

True love never lives happily ever after - true love has no ending

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jan 27, 2009 2:49 PM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

Tobi, that's funny that you had the exact opposite experience with mineral makeup that I had! Weird, I've talked to a bunch of people who've said that it helped their skin. It must vary according to skin type. And when I say it 'cleared up my skin,' I should clarify that I'm not talking about a serious skin problem. I'm talking about maybe one little pimple at that time of month. Funny it made your skin oily, though - do you normally have oily skin? Mine is usually pretty normal. With regular makeup, I'd get some minor T-zone oil over the course of a day, but with the mineral makeup, I never look oily.

I have a different skin problem, and I'd love to hear whether anyone has experience with this issue. I have a pretty light complexion and very clear skin - no freckles or anything. So those little red 'post-pimple' spots are VERY noticable on me. Aside from laying on the concealer to hide them, does anyone know any good ways to get rid of them? 'Cause I don't have a friggin' clue how to make those little red spots go away, and they're visible on my skin FOREVER. (Just to give you an idea of my complexion, it's light enough that any redness lingers forever, even after a pimple - or even a cut or scrape - has healed. I scraped the back of my hand on New Years' Eve, and even though my skin healed up within a week, I still have a dark red spot. I swear I'm not exaggerating, but if you looked at my hand six months from now, you'd still be able to pick out the spot where I scraped it.) Any ideas? I don't want to try anything too harsh, for fear that it'll make it worse (I have semi-sensitive skin) and THAT will last forever, too!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

MrsMcCain Posts : 580 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Jan 27, 2009 3:39 PM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

Hi Caribbean this might be a little personal but do you know if acnetix works on your bikini line? I don't have acne but I have very sensitive skin "down there" and everytime I shave I get the most horrible bumps. No products that I have tried work.

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Jan 27, 2009 4:47 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcCain

MrsMcCain,
I don't know that it would be good for the bikini line. It's a scrub so I wouldn't suggest using it there. I wish I could help you with products for the bikini line but I don't really have that problem when I shave - thank goodness.

And Art, yeah, I pretty much have oily skin. I like to say I have combination skin but truthfully, it's pretty darn oily everywhere. So maybe that's why Bare Minerals didn't work for me -- nothing really does!! But even so, with the bare minerals, I noticed that the container lid got really oily. Perhaps it was just from the brush being on my skin, then the container, etc. Who knows.

As for your issue with the red spots, I have the exact same problem. I have very fair skin and show all the redness as well. I've yet to find something to help with that. My guess is it would take going to an aesthetician and getting some laser treatments to get rid of it. But then that doesn't help when another pimple pops up and leaves the spots again.

Tobi & Brian - April 21, 2008

Photobucket

Sandals Grande Spa & Beach Resort, St. Lucia

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jan 27, 2009 6:12 PM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

Awww, rats - I was hoping someone would have a miracle cure! From seeing your photos, I'd say that our skin tones are pretty close, so I'm not surprised that you have the same issue! Does anyone think a dermatologist would be able to give me a suggestion about that? Maybe I'll ask my regular doctor if she'd recommend going to a dermatologist over something like that. I don't think it's bad enough to warrant getting laser treatments or anything, but I really wish the redness wouldn't last so long (not just on my face, but EVERYWHERE! It lasts forever. Seriously, I'll play with my cat and get a few scratches, and on top of the marks from the LAST few times I've played with her, it probably looks like I cut myself or something!)

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Rachel426 Posts : 47 Registered: 6/19/08
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 11:00 AM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

CaribbeanBride: I am thinking of ordering the Acnetix that you recommended to another bride....you both said the smell was bad...what does it smell like and does the smell stay on your skin after you use it? Was it you who said that you had really oily skin and if so what kind of makeup do you use b/c my skin is terribly oily!! I am 24 and have had bad skin since high school so I am looking forward to trying this stuff!!

SweetSunset Posts : 159 Registered: 1/15/09
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 7:36 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcCain

MrsMcCain,

I've got a wonder cream for you. Years ago I worked in a clothing store for "dancers" and this stuff would always fly off the shelf. Its called Cootchie Cream. You can google it to find stores that sell it. After so many recommendations to try this I finally did, and let me tell you, you wont have ANY kind of bumps whatsoever after you shave. You can use it on your legs, underarms, and bikini area. Hope this helps! :)

MassMaine Posts : 5 Registered: 1/30/09
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 9:18 PM Go to message in response to: Earthies

I am both a makeup artist for the entertainment industry AND an aesthetician. As a bride, I also had bad skin and only because of my professions did I know how to help it. 11 years later I still have bad skin, but now just usually along my jawline and neck (which is hormonal, no matter when it shows up) and then occassionally on my nose or cheeks if I get really stressed. What you really need to figure out is if your skin is breaking out because of your skin, or because of what you're doing to it.

What most people don't realize is that there is a skin type AND a skin condition. If you're typically oily, and use a lot of products to combat that, then you could be over doing it and end up with a dry condition and that will make matters even worse. Before spending a ton of money on all sorts of products, I highly recommend at least one facial with a skilled aesthetician to help figure out what exactly you need. Many people start to rely to heavily on scrubs and toners, but that will strip your skin of beneficial barriers that stops bacteria from breeding on your skin. Unless you're extremely oily, most people benefit from using a light cream cleanser, a soft wash cloth, and a water based moisturizer. It will take 4-6 weeks for your skin to start clearing, because that's how long it takes for skin to renew itself.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me, erika@MyNecessaryLuxuries.com

I'm not in your area, but I'm always willing to help answer questions.

MassMaine Posts : 5 Registered: 1/30/09
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 9:29 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcCain

I use Bikini Zone for about 4 days after I shave or wax. It's the greatest stuff! You can get it in walmart or a pharmacy in the same place you get your shave cream and razors. It's awesome!!

bunnybear05 Posts : 157 Registered: 1/7/09
Posted: Feb 3, 2009 5:22 PM Go to message in response to: MassMaine

Earthies,
If you found something that worked for you (Aveda) then just stick with it. The extra cost will be worth it of it really does clear up your skin! Especially for your wedding. I am having similar issues. I stopped my birthcontrol about a year ago and now I am having horrible skin side effects. Totally hormonal. My derm prescribed some anti biotic. While it has helped, it isn't back to the way I am used to. I always had occasiona breakouts before I was on BCP, and a bit less while taking BCP but now, arghhhhh its just terrible.So hopefully this prescription will help ( been on it for a month now) but I know that your npot supposed to keep up for more then 3-6 mopnths either. So I would love it if I could just find a topical product that would help. Ok, sorry, I rambled. Point being... if it works, then don't mess with it. ;) What Aveda products were they ?

Heidibride30 Posts : 1,201 Registered: 4/16/08
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 10:55 AM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

So I was just wondering if the girls trying Acnetix are still having good luck with it. My problem is that I'll start using something and it works OK for a while, and then my skin gets as bad as ever. I hate it/ But Tobi, it sounds like we have a similar skin type. My skin is really oily all over my face. Drives me nuts.

Proud member and S.C.A.T. of POOP - People Offended by Offended People

saranic0le Posts : 20 Registered: 12/19/08
Posted: Feb 21, 2009 2:31 PM Go to message in response to: Earthies

I've had bad acne since about 5th grade. I found out the sourse of my bad acne was hormonal. I have PCOS and the only way to "cure" my acne was to fix my hormonal inbalances. I got put on Yaz and it does wonders for my skin! I still continue to use drugstore brand acne cleansers and use SPF and such, but I haven't had bad breakouts sine being on it. It does take a few months for your body to fully adjust. So, that may be an option for you! (Esp, if you don't want to have kids right away - 2 birds with 1 stone!)

Edited by: saranic0le on Feb 21, 2009 2:34 PM

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine