Wedding Day Schedule.

Online Users: 1,350 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 7

stfballplayer7 Posts : 271 Registered: 3/17/08
Wedding Day Schedule.
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 9:52 PM

Okay, so I am trying to figure out a schedule for the day of the wedding. Like what to do first... hair or make-up.. how soon before the wedding we should start all of this.. etc.
Any help would be great... Or if there is a website out there that helps you develop such a schedule like this.
We are getting married at 1pm, if that helps..
Thank you. = ]

THE FUTURE MRS. B.R. HERB  4/13/09

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Re: Wedding Day Schedule.
Posted: Feb 18, 2009 10:54 AM Go to message in response to: stfballplayer7

Are you doing your own hair and makeup or having it done professionally? If you're having it done professionally, just ask for their recommendations. If you're doing it yourself, do a 'practice run' some weekend and figure out how long it takes you. Depending on your level of confidence, add another half hour to an hour in case you make a mistake and have to start over.

On the 'what to do first' question, I'd recommend doing your hair first. Hair will usually stay looking fresh longer than makeup does, so unless you want to have to touch up your makeup again before the ceremony, I'd leave it until after your hair. Also, I'd be a little worried about heat from styling instruments melting my makeup, as well as styling products getting on my skin. That said, I would recommend washing your face before going to the hair salon - that way, if you do happen to get hairspray or something on your skin, you can easily wipe it off with a washcloth rather than having to wash your whole face again after getting your hair styled. (I mention this because one of my BMs insisted on putting on makeup in the morning BEFORE going to the hair salon. After getting her hair styled, she washed her makeup off and reapplied it for the wedding. I thought she was crazy. Really, is anybody at the hair salon going to care if you don't have makeup on yet? There was no way I was letting water get anywhere near my hair after it was styled!)

This is roughly the schedule that we followed (our actual schedule, not my pre-planned schedule that didn't last long!)

8:30 - Breakfast. In retrospect, I should have planned on more time for breakfast. We arrived late (due to my BM insisting on putting on makeup before going to the salon, which I had NOT planned on!) and had to leave for our hair appointments by 9:15.

9:30 - Hair appointments.

10:30 - Hair done. Went to CVS because my sister wanted cute bobby pins, my BM wanted extra hairspray, and I needed waterproof mascara. (Hadn't planned on that!)

11:00 - Arrived back at the hotel to get ready. Photographer was already there. Started makeup.

12:00 - Makeup done. I really took my time and was super-anal about getting it perfect. Then I fooled around with various other things for half an hour until my MOH and BM were ready to help with my dress: putting my jewelry on, arranging my stuff in cute piles for the photographer, chatting with various female family members who felt the need to drop by, taking some photos with my mom, getting REALLY anal about my makeup and fixing imaginery blemishes, wishing the extra diversions had left me with time for lunch and/or a drink, going over the instructions with the coordinator one last time, etc, etc. Yep, I had to wait for them. I was the first one done with my makeup (No idea how they possibility took longer than me, as I spent a ridiculously long time on it!)

12:30 - BM and MOH started lacing up my gown. If your gown zips up, you don't need to plan on much time, but mine was a corset back and took a long time to lace up. On top of that, I had two total perfectionists working on it and they decided to start over twice for various reasons. Lacing my gown up took about 45 minutes total.

1:15 - We left for the church. It was about a 20-minute drive from the hotel and we were the last to leave. My parents had left about an hour earlier because they were paranoid about getting lost and wanted to give themselves a LOT of extra time!

1:40ish - Arrived at the church. Went to hang out in the waiting room, where we first saw our flowers, pinned my mom's corsage on her, sent the boutennieres to wherever the guys were waiting, tightened the laces on my dress just in case, and the girls put on the shawls that they had to wear in the church. I was glad we had a few minutes to do these last-minute things before the ceremony, so if your venue has a waiting room, I'd recommend taking advantage of it even if you don't think you'll need to. Someone's dress will have to be pinned, or they'll want to touch up their makeup or fiddle with their shoes or something. And you can take some more photos. My favorite photo of me with my BMs was taken at that time. We all look so excited and fresh, as opposed to the photos after the ceremony, where we've all been smiling too long and we're impatient to get to the party!

2:00 - Ceremony started.

I don't know how people have time to take photos before the ceremony. I wanted to, but once I planned out the day, it looked like we'd have to get up REALLY early in order to be ready for pre-ceremony photos, which I wasn't willing to do. We were fine taking ours after the ceremony - our photographer worked very quickly.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Feb 18, 2009 3:27 PM Go to message in response to: stfballplayer7

Dear SF,

Scheduling a big event is a skill that will serve you well for years to come. Think of the company projects, charity events, family parties that are in your future.

The key is to work backwards.

Think of the point in time were "everything" has to be ready. That would be the advertised start of your wedding, in this case. (Or the date the client needs the presentation or the kid's birthday party start time.)

Now, what needs to be done between the time you wake up in the morning and W-Time? In what order? (It does no good to get your makeup on and hair fixed, then take a shower. Shower comes first.) How long does each activity take? What activities can be done simultaneously? (ex: With two stylists, Mom and Bride can get hair done at the same time.)

So, once you have a list of what all needs to get done, work backwards from W-Time.

"We need to be at the church at 12:30. It takes a half hour to get from home to church, plus a 15-minute fudge factor. Therefore, we will have to leave home at 11:45."

For your at-home activities, now work backwards from 11:45.

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Feb 18, 2009 7:10 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Hello,

AOFB has given you a good starting point. There are a couple of absolutes for your wedding day. That is the ceremony time and dinner time. Everything else is adjustable and has to revolve around those times. You will also need to take into account drive times from getting ready to the ceremony site and then to the reception hall. Depending on what photos you want, your photographer will have certain expectations as to when you should be ready for photos. That in turn will determine how early you will need to start with hair and makeup. I strongly urge you to consult with your photographer to determine when they think you should be available for photos. If you don't have a photographer yet, I would be happy to provide you with a sample schedule that would allow you to make hair and makeup appointments.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

mizbex Posts : 40 Registered: 1/10/07
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 2:26 PM Go to message in response to: stfballplayer7

I just finished planning out our wedding day morning. Our ceremony is at 2:30, and the hair dresser/make up artists is coming to my mothers house, and all the bridesmaids are coming there as well to get ready. After doing our trial runs, the beautician recomended 2 hrs for each girl for hair and make up, so we are all getting there at 6am, having breakfast and starting hair and make up, shes starting with the bridesmaids and doing me last, but that puts us getting done around noon, and the photographer is coming for pictures at 1, so its perfect timing, early day - but my girlfriend got married last summer with a 1pm ceremony and hair and make up started at 5am - yikes!

Lori82 Posts : 151 Registered: 3/21/08
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 5:14 PM Go to message in response to: stfballplayer7

I often wonder how in the heck we'll have time for pre-wedding pictures too. Our wedding begins at noon, the only time slot my church has for weddings. I don't even want to think about how crunched for time preparing will be, especially since we'll probably want to be at the church by 11:00. I'll probably plan out the schedule after I go for my trial hair and make-up run to see how long that will take.

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 7:05 PM Go to message in response to: Lori82

Hello Lori,

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Given your early ceremony time, I would most certainly consider changing the typical photography schedule to allow for a more leisurely and enjoyable Saturday morning. Many of the photos taken before the ceremony can be completed at any time during the wedding day. I would make sure the must take before ceremony photos were completed and then postpone the rest of the photos until a more convienent and relaxed time on your special day. If you do not already have a photographer to discuss your schedule, I would be happy to provide you with some guidance. I'm located in Schaumburg, please feel free to call me if you'd like to talk.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

stfballplayer7 Posts : 271 Registered: 3/17/08
Posted: Feb 20, 2009 11:58 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Art, thank you. that really helped.. his aunt is doing our hair and she is bringing a friend (no worries, they are both licensed and currently in the industry). they even offered to do our nails but that would depend on what my sisters and i decide.. we want to have a spa day and possibly get all that done.

AOTB, I have tried that.. I guess i'm not good at planning my own events... but i have been able to plan other parties... i guess i just want everything to be perfect and run smoothly since i only get one big day. the other events are kind of like a go with the flow.. and i can alwas throw another party.. lol.

i have off this weekend, maybe i will try to tackle this schedule thing for good.

THE FUTURE MRS. B.R. HERB  4/13/09

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine