Can I use my engagement ring as my wedding ring?

Online Users: 1,236 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

RachelOS Posts : 70 Registered: 9/27/08
Can I use my engagement ring as my wedding ring?
Posted: Feb 16, 2009 1:47 AM

I already have an engagement ring, but I have recently decided that I don't want another ring for a wedding ring. My ring is an engagement ring from about 1900, but it looks more like a wedding band by our modern standards. I have been looking for several months for a wedding ring to wear with it, and I have even looked into getting a wedding band made to fit with it, but I really just love my engagement ring on its own and feel that any ring I put with it is just taking away from its beauty. I have thought about wearing my engagement ring on my right hand and just wearing a wedding band on my left hand, but I don't really like that idea for some reason. Is it okay to use my engagement ring as my wedding ring? If I do decide to do that, what are the logistics of it? Do I stop wearing my engagement ring until we get married? Do I just take the ring off for the ceremony? Thanks for any help!

BlissfullBride Posts : 32 Registered: 12/29/08
Re: Can I use my engagement ring as my wedding ring?
Posted: Feb 16, 2009 3:11 AM Go to message in response to: RachelOS

First off... I love your ring!!

I had a girlfriend who decided to wear her engagement ring as her wedding ring and people kept asking her when she would be getting married. This is a different case because your ring can pass a either an engagement ring or a wedding ring. I have seen alot of people only wear their wedding band so to me, I think it is a good idea. ALSO your ring seems wide already so I think adding more wouldn't be necessary

As far as the actual ceremony. I was going to take off my engagement ring for the ceremony anyways. I think its a nicer gesture to slip a wedding band on an empty hand rather than a blinged out one. Good luck deciding!

Minutes before he popped the question!! The future Dr. and Mrs. Peter Leung... 

IMG_5926 by you.

"It's best to remember that after the party, it is still just about you and me."

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Feb 16, 2009 9:44 AM Go to message in response to: RachelOS

Your ring is beautiful and I can see why you would want to wear it on its own. I also went this route. I like my ring a lot and didn't want another one, I have crooked fingers and don't like the look of the double ring on my finger and also the diamond was bigger than anything I would have dreamt for myself. I told my EH (excellent husband) that I loved it so much I didn't want another ring and that he should use the weddng band money to get a some bling for his ring so he got little matching black and white diamonds in his band. I like that I am wearing the one ring and that we still match. I have heard of other people doing this and in some cultures (Chinese culture maybe?) they don't even wear rings and some people opt for a gemstone rather than a diamond so the wedding ring guidelines have changed a lot. I rarely have anyone think I am engaged rather than married. I think the only time it happened was when I was with a client at a bridal show, but even if I didn't have a ring they probably would have thought I was engaged, because it was a bridal show.

KPM Posts : 577 Registered: 1/20/08
Posted: Feb 16, 2009 10:45 AM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

I think your ring is beautiful and no reason why you couldn't wear it just as is.

My wedding ring fits inside of my engagement ring - ends up looking like one ring, rather than 2 together.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cheesecake in one hand, rum in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!

Posted: Feb 16, 2009 12:27 PM Go to message in response to: RachelOS

Thanks for the help! I will definitely take the ring off for the ceremony, but I just couldn't figure out if I should stop wearing it for a while so it will seem "special" when I put it back on at the wedding or what. I feel that being married will be special enough without having to have that "new ring" feeling, though. Should I start wearing it on my right hand or should I just leave it? Sorry I've got so many questions, this whole thing is just new to me (as it would be to most people) and there isn't really any protocol for this situation. Thanks again for all of the help!

Posted: Feb 16, 2009 3:59 PM Go to message in response to: RachelOS

I chose to wear my ring as an engagment ring, then I put it on my right hand for the ceremony, as we didn't have a ring bearer. I would just leave it so that when you tell people you are engaged they won't be looking on that hand for a ring or wonder why its on the other hand. Its just easier. It will still be special. For me the committment was as serious once I accepted the proposal as when I was married so I didn't feel that the marriage ceremony changed the committment. I read your response in the 50% divorce rate thread and so I know you are also someone who takes the commitment seriously and probably feel that way now that you are engaged and don't need the ring exchange to "up the committment level".

Posted: Feb 16, 2009 4:47 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

Thanks TanisJ! You're right, I'm as committed now as I will be on August 1, 2009 (my wedding day) or on August 1, 2059! At least for me, the engagement ring is the ultimate symbol of the commitment that we made to each other and the wedding ring would be the symbol of the commitment that we have made to being committed (as I explained in the 50% divorce rate thread). Since one commitment is just as important as the other, one ring (and therefore one symbol) should suffice-- right? :)

Posted: Feb 16, 2009 4:58 PM Go to message in response to: RachelOS

Exactly! In at least one European country, I forget which one when a woman becomes engaged she gets a plain band, then when they marry she gets the fancy diamond, which in a way makes sense. So you can just say you are doing it European style.

Posted: Feb 16, 2009 5:18 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

"European style"... I like that. It sounds tres chic!! ;)

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Feb 18, 2009 4:57 PM Go to message in response to: RachelOS

I originally just wanted my e ring to be my final w ring but for some reason about 2 weeks before the wedding, we decided to get one. It's just a plain band and I've liked having it only b/c when I'm sparring or doing martial arts, I can take the diamond e ring off and just wear the band and not have to worry about damaging it. We plan to upgrade my band to a pink sapphire and diamond band on our anniversary so I'm not sure if I'll still wear the plain band or not.

But funny story (NOW it's funny) on our wedding day, after we spent all that time finding and purchasing a plain wedding band, my EH and his BM FORGOT my wedding band so I ended up getting married with my e ring anyway like I had originally planned. Lol.

Do what you want, your ring is so unique!

Mrs. Pinky

Keyholder of the TP Cabinet of P.O.O.P.

Our Wedding Website 

chicochik Posts : 236 Registered: 10/16/08
Posted: Feb 18, 2009 7:01 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

What a wonderful ring! I think that if you want it to be away for a bit to be special, just send it off to get cleaned. I'm sending my e-ring to get re rodiumed and sodered to my wedding bands. So by the time I get it back, it will be really pretty.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine