What got you motivated?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 1,114

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Re: What got you motivated?
Posted: Feb 14, 2009 10:26 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Hey everyone! I've had a challenging couple of weeks. I had a cold that made me feel quite yucky for about 4 days, but I've had the sniffles for about 12 days now. I've managed to workout a couple times last week and a couple times this week. I hate working out with a cold! Its so gross to try and exercise with a runny nose. Then my EH got gout. It went into his ankle and he couldn't walk. I was his human crutch for a couple of days, which is a bit of workout in itself. Then we got him to the doctor and he figured out what it was.

Sunshine your dress is STUNNING. With your height and build you are going to totally rock it!

I will come back and address everyone. I am trying to get caught up on the stuff I missed while I was packing my husband around. lol. I hope everyone has a wonderful romantic Valentine's Day!

Posted: Feb 14, 2009 4:13 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

hello again ladies. You're not here so I am responding to myself because I have news. I went to the gym, did full hour of legs, then 30 laps (28 with weights on, then 2 as fast as I can humanly walk) then I did 20 minutes on the bike for a total of 1 hour and 10 minutes of cardio, and a 2 hour 20 minute workout in total which is great. When I came home I measured myself, and finally, finally, finally after working out so hard and trying to eat properly I have some measurable results. I am 42 - 30 - 42 which is an inch off hips and bust, but nothing off waist which is just fine because I want to have more average proportions for clothes shopping. My calves and my biceps are both down half an inch. My thighs, hmm well it appears that there is an 1.5 inch difference between the two! I don't know which one I measured last time, so I will go with the smaller one, in which case I am down an inch there, which is awesome (if its true) lol. I am finally seeing the results. I figure based on my size that an incho ff the torso and half inch off limbs has to be at least a 5 pound loss and maybe even closer to 10. See lifting weights, even heavy ones doesn't make you bigger! Eating makes you bigger. lol.

My husband's gout may also turn out to be a blessing in disguise, because I did some research and people with gout are supposed to go easy on the red meat and its recommended to not eat more than 3 ounces a day. Six ounces is considered a portion, and my EH probably usually eats closer to 20 ounces a day. So when I came back from the gym he was unpacking the groceries and he bought soy chicken nuggets, and portabello mushroom burgers. This is amazing!!! He has been quite resistant to trying these things. He's never worried about his weight or had his nutrition affect his health, but I think he is really taking it seriously now, which benefits us both, but will also make it so much easier for me.

FMS are you feeling better? My sniffles just keep on going and going. How about the ring?

Ashleyanne you can have encouraging words any time you need them. 50 pounds is absolutely awesome! There are a lot of people out there who would look at trying to lose 50 pounds and just say its too hard and not even try. You should be very, very proud.

Kens thats a great idea to have pads put onto the boning! I need a lot of support myself in that area and have had occasions where even the rubbing of workout gear hurt so I can relate. Chafing sucks.

MuffinB where art thee?

Sunshine you still feeling high about dress shopping? your dress is so unique and pretty. I can't wait to see pictures of you in it.

Well I am off to scout the Valentines Day menu to see how I can be happy and healthy.

independant2406 Posts : 58 Registered: 12/8/08
Posted: Feb 16, 2009 3:33 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

Hey Ladies sorry its been so long since I've posted... wow it has been a while

Anyways I just wanted to check in. I haven't lost any more weight the past few weeks but I have started a "biggest loser bootcamp" at my gym. I started last friday and oh my god my legs were so sore!!! I literally couldn't get out of bed for a long time the next day. The trainer is great though and she's going to kick my butt if I don't do her homework exercises every day between now and next friday!

Sorry to hear how the economy is affecting you Ashley. I know the feeling :( FH and I are considering just going to the courthouse to get married since nither of us are bringing in enough money to save for a wedding like we were hoping. They have cut alot of hours from my work, and FH works as a server so tips are bad lately as well. Chin up though. We're both going to marry our wonderful men who love us and for that I am thankful and happy.

I went to the gym this afternoon and did 45 minutes on the eliptical machine and 20 minutes on the treadmill. FH wants to go to the gym together again after he gets off work. Woot t hooray for twice in one day! lol

Sunshine80 Posts : 136 Registered: 8/8/08
Posted: Feb 16, 2009 11:35 PM Go to message in response to: independant2406

Hey Ladies!!

Well, I am happy to say I am back, even though I know I have been procrastinating about coming on here to post. The truth is, I went through a REALLY hard time for the past two weeks, since my dress shopping excursion. I don't know if I can really go into all of it now, but I will just say that some emotional stuff from my past came back and really got me, I fell into quite a depression and on certain days it was flat out paralyzing. I have a past history of depression, when I was younger (teens), and so this really scared me. FH was incredibly supportive through the entire thing. I am thrilled to say that I feel myself coming out on the other side, but both physically and mentally/emotionally the toll it took on me was so severe that I didn't feel I could come on here and post, weigh in, any of that. In retrospect, I wish I had, because I know it would have helped. Anyway, without dredging all of it up, I will just say that I am feeling much better now and even though it is late and I am wiped and can't respond to everyone separately, I knew it was important for me to come on and say hello and send hugs and love to everyone and announce to the group (and myself) that I am making a priority again of being on here and giving and getting the motivation needed to continue on this journey. We still can't afford for me to rejoin the gym, which made me recent low period especially hard to take, but the past two days FH and I have done lots of brisk walking outside and that really helped...I have decided that's just what I will need to do until I can join a gym again. That, my Pilates DVDs, and our new Wii fit once we set it up (it was a belated Christmas gift....any suggestions for what to do with the thing would be appreciated!!)

So I have not weighed in recently because I am only now feeling like myself again, so I am going to give myself a few weeks to get back on track and then begin weighing in again. I don't know how soon that will be, but I will know when I am ready. In the meantime though, I plan on going back to food journaling, (flexible) calorie counting, exercising as much as I can, and treating myself well inside and outside. Thanks for listening girls, so sorry again for the absence, and to all who are having successes, congratulations!!! To those who are having a hard time with money, being sick, ring woes (FMS!!!), all I can say is thank goodness we have each other and our wonderful men to help us through it. It will all work out in the end :)

Looking forward to helping each other out in the coming weeks and months ladies!! Lots of love!!!

Posted: Feb 18, 2009 11:09 AM Go to message in response to: Sunshine80

Hey Girls!

Even though it is quiet on here I am coming on to post anyway to keep up with my new resolution to be on here more again :) So I hope everyone is having a great week and had a wonderful Valentine's Day! We had an amazing weekend...FH had Monday off for the holiday, so we had a 3 day weekend together, which was amazing considering I have been away/without him for the previous 3 weekends (business trip, overnight dress shopping weekend, business trip again). He planned our date for Valentine's Day: he took me on a romantic walk through Central Park to the spot where he proposed last year and we spent some time there soaking up the magical memories, he he he....then we went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art (giant museum here in NYC for those who are not familiar with it) to see their special exhibition Art and Love in Renaissance Italy...I did my undergrad studies in art and art history so that was really special for me. Then he took me to this romantic little French restaurant that has been one of my favorites since I was a teenager, and we had an amazing 3 hour long meal!!! I LOOOOOVE having long, relaxing dinners....very European. We shared one appetizer, each had an entree, and shared one dessert, and each had 2 drinks...so it wasn't even like we had all that much, but we just made it last a loooong time and it was so lovely! After that, he wrapped up the date by taking me to a late movie to see Slumdog Millionaire, which was wonderful. I wouldn't have thought it, but it was the perfect Valentine's Day movie :)

Then we spent Sunday and Monday getting stuff going on our wedding registry; we went to both Williams Sonoma and Crate and Barrel and registered for a bunch of stuff to get started. We will still have more to go, but this is a good start. I think we are going to do the "honeyfund" too because I can't see us having enough money for a honeymoon anytime soon, and we definitely need that! We also got a bunch of apartment organization done this weekend, which we desperately needed. We use a gift card that we got for an engagement present to buy a standing bookcase, and it is amazing how much that helped us to organize!

As for food and exercise, I am getting back on track...I didn't work out yesterday, but I did Sunday and Monday and I am going to today. Food has been better....when I was in my depressed period, I just was not being consistent or mindful at all with making the right choices, so I need to work back from that. I am calorie counting again for the time being just to get back in the habit of being more mindful. Also, I took a break from my "no wheat and dairy" norm during that time, and that was a baaaad idea. It made my body so bloated and I really didn't feel well. So my goals for this week have been to become more mindful of calories/portions again, to get back off of the wheat and dairy, and to begin to fit exercise back in. It was a little over two weeks that I was "off the wagon" (hehe) so it actually takes a bit of an effort to get back into the old routines, but I am getting there and I already feel much more like myself. I am actually going to go work out right now, just to make sure that I will do it :)

Well I hope everyone is doing well, Ashley it sounds like you have a crazy busy semester going on, and FMS I hope your planning is still going well now that you have your beautiful dress and bridesmaid's dresses!! Any more progress on the venue? For what it's worth, backyard weddings are AWESOME in my opinion!!!

Tanis, way to be kicking ass at the gym as usual! I am glad you are feeling better and back at it. Good news about your EH too, it's always nice (and helpful) to have our partners supporting the overall goals of good health!

Kens and Muffin...I hope you are both doing well and not too stressed, and Independent welcome back and keep up the good work!

Oh one more thing...I haven't weighed in in a few weeks, but in looking back at my food journal from the summer, I realized that I had recorded my weight at the end of June in writing and it turns out that my starting weight was actually 5 pounds higher than I remembered it being, so as of now I have actually lost 25 pounds, not 20! So that's cool I guess! :)

Posted: Feb 18, 2009 3:10 PM Go to message in response to: Sunshine80

Hey Sunshine! I am still here. I saw MuffinB "around" and reminded her to come check in. I am glad you are feeling better and posting. I know when I was feeling frustrated just posting and seeing everyone else's progress was inspirational. yay for 25 pounds!

I must be really inspired now. I've gone all Biggest Loser on myself and both Jilian and Bob are possessing me. Yesterday i did 3 hours in the gym including 1.5 cardio and today I did another 3 hours including 2 hours of cardio! Definitely a new PB. The slow and steady wins the race helped me stop the "weight gain train" I was on but its taking to long to drop the size I want. I don't want to be a 2, I haven't been a 2 since I was 7. I just want to be a 12 again and I mean all of me including my boobs. I am going for the big push so i can just go into maintenance mode again. 14 is the dividing line for plus size, which really doesn't bother me except that all the plus stores I've gone into make shirts that are quite long and flowy and nothing with any definition around the waist line. The shirts in Lane Bryant are almost 50% too big in the waistline! Not everyone who is 14 is round. It's annoying. Thank goodness for lycra!

So thats my story and I am sticking to it. I told EH this is #1 priority for me right now (translation = if you buy popcorn at the movie I will give you the evil eye. lol)

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 5:25 PM Go to message in response to: Sunshine80

Hey guys!!!

Sorry it has been forever! My life is so crazy right now. I am sitting in a Starbucks as I type taking a break from work.

Sunshine- I am sorry you had a rough patch! But definitely glad you are making a comeback! I sometimes go through rough times too. Usually I cry and don't know why! I'll actually put on a movie that will definitely make me cry so I have an excuse!!!

Tanis- You go on with your bad self!!! Your like a machine!

As for me. My schedule is just crazy busy. I have been sleeping maybe 5 1/2 hours a night. And I have something going on every weekend for the next month or so! Oh and that started a few weekends ago!!! It is insane! I have not worked out in a long time and I am feeling it! I am not feeling as confident as I was when I was working out. I am hoping to come up with an game plan soon (once I get a decent nights sleep), so I can get back on track. This weekend I am off to my parents house for my nephews bday and a search for a wedding location. I have 2 appointments on Saturday, so hopefully they are successful!! Alright I need to get back to work. I hope everyone is doing well.

Ashley- Are you going to venture out here for the brunch???

www.mywedding.com/samanthaandpatrick/

SaraV929 Posts : 1 Registered: 7/7/08
Posted: Feb 20, 2009 11:20 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

I agree... watching the initial pounds come off is a BIG motivator. Another motivating factor for me is the adrenaline rush after an incredible workout or a nice run. I feel lighter, happier, more in shape.

Since you live in LA (I do too!) try out Barry's Boot Camp. They have locations in Sherman Oaks and West Hollywood. I did The Academy - 5 classes a week, an hour each class. I dropped 10 pounds the first month I did it and toned up BIG time. My eating habits improved. I always ate healthy, but I focused on incorporating more protein and fiber into my diet. It's amazing how much longer you stay full!

And finally, the thought of wearing a dress and not wowing the fiancee is a huge motivator for me. :)

kensimzadi Posts : 216 Registered: 7/28/08
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 3:08 AM Go to message in response to: SaraV929

Wow, it's really been quiet on here lately.

Sun- so sorry to hear you went thru such a hard time! I know how depression can rear its ugly head and bite you in the ass without warning. I'm glad you took the time off to take care of yourself, it was what you needed most at the time! I'm glad you're feeling better!

Tanis- a machine....you're a machine! You keep on rockin' it out Sexy Momma!

Ashley- yes, two slipped discs, but as far as they are concerned, I'm okay. I'm having other health issues that I'll get into in a minute. Hope you're not burning yourself out girlfriend! Be sure to take time to smell the roses! Or whatever your favorite flower is....

FMS- gotten your ring yet? Pick a venue?? How's your sister doing? Hope everything is well in your world!

As for me ladies.....I am still freakin pissed off that I haven't gotten my ring or proposal yet. Let me remind you that we have been "engaged" for over a year.....OVER A YEAR!!!!! He's had the ring in his sock drawer for eight months!!!!!!! He admits that he's backed himself into a corner because he's waited so long, and he knows that now I'm expecting something completely over the top romantic and special and since it's been so long that now that none of his plans are working out that if it's just something simple that I'll be disappointed. Well, the problem is is that now whenever we have time off together I'm always hoping and wondering "is this the day?" and when it doesn't turn out to be, I AM disappointed and my disappointment is turning to resentment and it's getting to the point I don't even want to spend time with him anymore because I get disappointed!! My patience has run out!!! It's been over a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF????? I've told him it doesn't have to be special, just from the heart. Pretty soon he's not gonna have a heart 'cause I'm gonna rip it out and eat it for lunch!!!

Plus, I had my first mammogram last week, and they found what they are calling a "density" and need me to come back for more images. Great. I'm not freakin out yet, because I know it could be any number of things, but it still scares me a little.....I go back Wed. for more images.

So, I've been counting calories like Sun does, and I gotta tell ya, it really does make you think about what you're eating. I found out that on an average day, when I'm eating healthy, or at least healthy for me, I eat about 1800 calories....now if I could just get back on that treadmill.....

Hope everyone is doing well!!! Miss you ladies!!!!!!!!

Posted: Feb 23, 2009 3:47 PM Go to message in response to: kensimzadi

Hey Ladies! Happy Monday! For some reason I am particularly happy and productive this Monday, and after the way the past few weeks have been, I am THRILLED WITH THAT!! Thanks, all of you, for your support and kind words. Each of you helped to lift me up that little bit higher :)

FMS- Honey, you do sound busy!! Oh my goodness. I hope that you got some time to rest and recharge at your parents house this weekend. Any news on the venue hunt? Did you like what you saw at your appointments this weekend? Do tell us the details!!

Tanis- Color me impressed! You are really going for it. It sounds like you feel great, too, which is obviously the most important part. And CONGRATS!!!!!!! on seeing some inches drop!! Best feeling ever!!!!! Go you. We know how hard you have worked and how much you have wanted this, so it's well deserved.

Kens- I am sorry to hear about your recent health struggles. I had the same experience you are going through with the breast situation, and it is really scary and stressful. In my case, it was a tumor but benign, however they wanted to be safe so I had to have surgery to have the lump removed. I was only 26 at the time, so you can imagine...but the good news is, I was fine, and healthy, and came out on the other side feeling relieved. Hopefully in your case it won't even need to go that far, but if it does, know that there is a very good chance that it could be the same way and still be ok. I will be thinking of you hun...and I am not just saying this, but getting on your treadmill would really help you right now, not just physically but emotionally, and that has a huge effect on our bodies and stress levels.

As for me, I was out of town at my parents' house this weekend for my Dad's birthday. Whenever I am there, I am my unhealthiest. It's a combination of factors: the fact that there is usually some big celebration like a birthday or holiday, or even when there isn't they are always entertaining, we always drink out there, and there is the whole comfort food factor in the parental home, plus some emotional stuff from youth that usually rears it's head and makes me eat and drink more than I need to/things that I shouldn't. BUT, this time was different...I wasn't a saint by any means, but it was nowhere near as bad as usual, I didn't feel out of control and then depressed about the damage afterwards upon returning home. We had a HUGE party for my Dad's 60th birthday (50 guests at our house, lots of food and drinks and cakes etc) and I was really pretty good. The next day, the leftovers got to me, but again, not that bad. More lenient than usual, but didn't go whole hog crazy. So today, I actually feel really happy and proud of myself. I have turned a corner and feel "back on track" officially, after a difficult few weeks of emotional stuff and subsequent poor food and exercise choices. In fact, I am going to work out today (I have been putting that off a lot lately) even though that means working out outside and it is FREEEEEEEEEEZING!!!! I will do as much as I can and I can always come back home and pop in a Pilates DVD if it is just TOO cold.

Another triumph: when I was at my parents house, I started trying on all my older cute summertime type clothes to see if they fit and looked good, because I was fearful I had gained a little weight since buying my dress a few weeks ago, and was too scared of the scale. Well, let me tell you, seeing myself in all those amazing "skinny" clothes and outfits and how great they looked, I was overcome by how proud I was of myself, and I thought even if I have backslid a teeny tiny bit, I have lost 25 POUNDS, so I am NOT gonna beat myself up at all! I felt great, and I looked great, and I was so happy. I rocked a super slinky dress to the big party to prove to myself how rad I was...hahaha. But really, I have a whole new outlook now, and I am excited :) For the record, I also loved seeing myself in the outfit I rocked on my 21st birthday (I still have it), an outfit I have always remembered as being from my "skinny time", and I think it looks even better now!! So YAY!!!

I hope everyone had a good weekend and will be around a lot this week to pump each other up!!! Let's do it ladies!!!!!!

Oh yeah, random but exciting news, we picked a photographer! I talk to him on Wednesday to make it official, but it is pretty much a done deal :) So excited to get that done!

Posted: Feb 23, 2009 3:50 PM Go to message in response to: Sunshine80

Oh yeah and my current profile pic is from the wedding we went to on New Year's Eve (I am wearing my engagement party dress again), it is my most recent picture right now...I try to keep them recent to track progress!!

eyesonlyfordave Posts : 3 Registered: 2/23/09
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 5:21 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

I can't seem to get motivated to work out,help~

Edited by: eyesonlyfordave on Feb 23, 2009 5:22 PM

eyesonlyfordave Posts : 3 Registered: 2/23/09
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 5:21 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

MuffinB Posts : 778 Registered: 7/13/07
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 11:00 PM Go to message in response to: Sunshine80

Hey ladies!

For some reason it's been kinda quiet around here. I know, I know, I'm to blame too and honestly, it's a combination of things that have kept me away. I'm not as busy anymore but most of the time I feel like I just have nothing exciting to report. I've hit a plateau in weight loss and I know exactly why. I haven't been working out but I also haven't been eating all that unhealthy so my body isn't changing anymore. I really want to make my goal of 130 lbs by my 30th birthday but if I don't I'm ok with it. I feel good, I can finally feel a difference in my clothes and my sister noticed the ten pound loss the other day. I'm definitely not done losing weight by any means but I'm not trying as hard anymore. I feel like if I continue to eat right and working out (which I WILL start up again) the weight will come off slowly but surely.

Ashley- I'm so sorry about you having to change your wedding plans. I KNOW how you feel. I'm riding the same boat you are. It must really be devastating to have one part of your life going full force (your remarkeable weight loss) and another part of your life (your financial state and wedding plans) hit a wall. It's just not fair! Why can't everything just go right all at once, all the time? I wish I had the answer. I will tell you this, though- if you and your FH get through this together, you will emerge a stronger couple who have managed to overcome a tough time in the relationship. You will grow and mature not just as individuals but as a team and THAT no one can take away from you. I keep reminding myself of this everytime I get sad about not having our wedding this year, and it makes me feel better. Don't leave us, though. I know it's hard to log on to BRIDES.COM when you're not really planning a wedding but this thread and some other ones too, are not just all wedding all the time. Plus, if you decide on a backyard wedding, we'd be more than happy to help you with all the details!

Sun- hi there hot mama! First, I'm glad to hear you were able to get over those tough few days. We all have them. I know your inner strength wasn't about to let you fall too deep. I hope you learned a little more about yourself during that time. Afterall, we never stop learning-right? Second, YOU GO GIRL! your dress is so romantic and so YOU. I've never met you but I just know that dress is YOU. 25 pounds off!! That profile picture is super cute. Your wedding is around the corner. Can you feel the butterflies yet? It seems like things are falling into place for you. So happy for you.

Tanis- how do you do it? I'm amazed at how strong you are, how motivated you are and how "put together" you always seem to be. Send some of that my way. Whatever it is. I read about your Oscar party! I bet it was a blast. (Go Slumdog!)

Kens- get that ring out of that sock drawer and put that thing on your finger! before it drives you crazy! you are engaged, you have the dress, honestly- no need for an over the top, mushy, gushy proposal. But then again, I'm not the romantic type. Your guy is probably super nervous and cannot come up with a plan that will knock you off your feet and that's why it's taking so long. I say, forget all that. You guys are in love and about to get married! what's more romantic than that?!

FMS- we get to meet on Sunday! yay! I can't wait. It's going to be fun, fun fun!

Independant- hi, not sure if I welcomed you already but welcome!

Have a good night, ladies.

kensimzadi Posts : 216 Registered: 7/28/08
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 12:58 PM Go to message in response to: MuffinB

Muffin- oh my god that picture is AWESOME!!! You are so freaking GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!! I love it!!! It's good to see you here again! And I have just come to the conclusion that I will have my ring for the rest of my life, and that I want him to have beautiful memories of how he proposed to me, as well as myself. I really don't want to take anything away from him on this, so I just need to find some more patience and stop being selfish....this ISN"T just about me. So, with that being said, I'm off to price candles!! Yay! And I'm sooooo glad that even tho your wedding isn't this year that you still come on here and lift us all up with your wisdom and grace. We love you Muffin!!!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine