Help! I need to figure out what invitations to buy!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

SoonToBeMrsDodge Posts : 70 Registered: 2/7/09
Help! I need to figure out what invitations to buy!
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 9:04 PM

Hi girls! I'm so confused. I don't know what to buy for my invites. I've been searching for 2 months now and I've got nothing. Does my wedding need a theme? There are so many THEMES that I just don't know what to decide. I haven't found anything that works for me yet. My colors are light canary yellow, periwinkle or cornflower blue and light clover green. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I think I'm going to go with a picture save-the-date magnet with yellow (lemon chiffon) as my accent color.

ADazzlingEvent Posts : 69 Registered: 4/24/08
Re: Help! I need to figure out what invitations to buy!
Posted: Feb 11, 2009 10:06 AM Go to message in response to: SoonToBeMrsDodge

When in doubt, go with White. You can never go wrong...lol. Good luck!
Soon to be Mrs. Hardee

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Feb 11, 2009 4:45 PM Go to message in response to: SoonToBeMrsDodge

I certainly do not think you need a theme! I like your colours so I would just stick with things in those colours. It may also be a good idea to pick something else to help define how you want things to look though. Like "modern" or "vintage" have two very different feels to them.

Or just don't worry about it and get what you like! The fact that YOU like everything will tie it together! :)

IMG_7463.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Feb 12, 2009 1:35 AM Go to message in response to: SoonToBeMrsDodge

I agree with Nala's second statement, find something you like and run with it. It'd make sense if it were in your colors, but if not, oh well. I don't know anything about wedding style or etiquette, that's just my personal philosophy.

You could try asking your man or giving him a few choices, maybe he'd have a preference and help you make a decision? Show us what you decide on! ;)

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Feb 12, 2009 1:36 AM Go to message in response to: SoonToBeMrsDodge

Better yet, if you're struggling between a few choices, bring them to the boards and let US help you decide! ;)

ToriiandJoe717 Posts : 3 Registered: 2/16/09
Posted: Feb 16, 2009 12:35 PM Go to message in response to: SoonToBeMrsDodge

I found some new yellow invites on myjeanm.com. I'm also using yellow as my wedding color! Here is the one I am thinking of getting from Jean M: http://www.myjeanm.com/engine.cfm?iCatID=50821

Overall I think the invitation isn't something stress about too much. Just find one you think is you and customize to your colors and likes! Best wishes!

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Feb 16, 2009 1:12 PM Go to message in response to: SoonToBeMrsDodge

Simple is always good. And, don't spend too much money (or stress) on invites. As long as they give the info. they're supposed to, they're good. One thing that you can do very inexpensively is to use colored, rather than black ink. For you, perhaps a forest green (usually, standard colors are free). It's also possible to add a 'dingbat,' a little motif that most stationary companies have and will add at little or no cost. For your "no real theme" wedding, something like a little leaf or flower (somewhere, you'll have leaves or flowers, right?) can add an elegant touch.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Toast Posts : 480 Registered: 9/10/08
Posted: Feb 16, 2009 1:42 PM Go to message in response to: myra

yes, simple is always good! You can go with a plain ivory one, or white one, and I bet you could find a cornflower blue one out there too.

Here is a site my friend got hers off of:
http://www.invitesite.com/weddings/wedding-invitations.html

They are DIY invites...basically they send you the paper, envelopes, string, etc and you print them and assemble them yourself. They can also print them for you (but I think you still have to assemble them yourself), but its an option. I think the ones she picked were less than $2 an invite!!

But, they have some really nice ones and since they are made from recycled paper, they tend to have different colors mixed into the papers. She is having a grey/blue/white sort of color theme, so she found some that had a speckled sort of blue paper. They are very simple, but very elegant too. Perfect for her cause she is so into the environment, great on the checkbook, and also ideal for an early summer wedding.

Good luck looking!!

LilTuffGirl Posts : 301 Registered: 11/4/08
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 9:55 PM Go to message in response to: Rose217

"ask your man"

Does that work for anyone? I always get "I don't care baby whatever you want". Regardless of what I say or ask.

http://www.ezticker.com/ticker/1642/214/20090829/our+wedding/ticker.png

True love never lives happily ever after - true love has no ending

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 10:08 PM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

I learned a long time ago never ask just tell. I pick what I like and show him and he will say which one do you like honey. I say what I like and he says sounds good to me. Unless it is purple and then I have to justify it because I love purple if left to me everything would be purple. He likes red I hate it. If it is neither of those colors he just doesn't care.

Kenny and me perfect together, 10 years and counting

Sucks to be you, So glad I am me

Proud Member of P.O.O.P,  People Offended by Offended People

wedding websites

SoonToBeMrsDodge Posts : 70 Registered: 2/7/09
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 9:15 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

Haha my man is not too into the planning. He really doesn't have an opinion because he likes what I like, but he doesn't see that difference in any of the options out there so he's just like "yeah, whatever you like is fine with me sweetheart." which WOULD be fine if I already had a decision made, but when I need a little input it's hard to get out of him haha. Gotta love him though. He'll go with me to any vendor appointment I want him to. Though he's not much help, atleast I feel like he's apart of the process SOMEHOW...even if it's just me dragging him to another appointment for him to sit through and probably spend the entire time thinking about what's for dinner lol.

I still haven't picked my invites, but I appreciate all the advice you girls have given me. Still looking! I'm going to go with my future mother-in-law to a couple places that does invitations next weekend so I'm hoping I find something then. If not, the search will continue! I have my Save-The-Date magnets ordered! Their really cute so I'm looking forward to getting those. I'll take a pic and post it once I get them.

Thanks again girls!
wedding websites

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 9:32 PM Go to message in response to: SoonToBeMrsDodge

I went to http://www.theamericanwedding.com/ (where I bought my invites), and when you click on the wedding invitations link, they offer a number of categories that you can look at their invitations by. I chose "Colors", then "Aqua", and a number of pretty invites with various shades of blue, including periwinkle, came up:

http://www.theamericanwedding.com/shopping/prod_catalog/prod_catalog.asp-cat-209

Anyway, that's one option, and no, you don't need a theme, though everything I've read says the formality of your invite should match the formality of your wedding. But I don't know how much anybody actually pays attention to that these days.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine