1920's style centerpieces?

Online Users: 1,305 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

bunnybear05 Posts : 157 Registered: 1/7/09
1920's style centerpieces?
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 1:15 PM

I am looking to have my wedding geared towards the 1920's. I wanted to have pearls incorporating into the centerpieces along with something relating to the Roaring 20's. I am just not sure what to do. We are steering away from lowers and our colors are brown and tiffany blue.
Does anyone have any ideas or links with something similar sounding? My MIL thought of using shimmering branches in a big hurricane vase that has pearl votives hanging from it.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: 1920's style centerpieces?
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 5:33 PM Go to message in response to: bunnybear05

I think that your centerpiece idea sounds beautiful, but not particularly 1920's (not that I know exactly what would be 1920's)! I'd go with your idea. But, I'd think that something like a branched silver candelabra or epergne would be more typical of the period.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 6:17 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Hello! This one seemed like a challenge, so I thought I'd see what I could find. :)

They call this "Modern Art Deco"

art-deco-copy.jpg

Well, apart from that I didn't find much.

I tend to think of Art Deco as being the main theme that speaks to the "1920's" style. I think of it as a style of abundance, but of very slick and simple designs. I think as long as you keep things simple, you'll at least not be working against your design ideas. I think the 1920's style can be brought out the fashions that you pick for yourself and for your wedding party.

Men's fashions for instance haven't changed much, but with a pair of shiny black shoes, a double-breasted jacket and a hat, you're FH will be right in on the theme. Your girl's could wear something : very "hollywood 1920's glamour" Or you could do more of a "flapper" style which was so popular.

anyway. lol this was a thread about centerpieces. Best of luck!

IMG_7463.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

We2Heart Posts : 452 Registered: 10/11/07
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 7:25 PM Go to message in response to: bunnybear05

We had a Roaring 20's theme for my sister's cotillion. It was great. This is one of the pictures we tried to use for inspiration for the centerpieces. We also thought of using fedora and cloche hats and feather boas - instead we gave guests hats and boas as favors, everyone got into the theme and wore them.

Wedding Reception Centerpiece Night Photo - Martini glasses with votive candles and pearl beads around it. Includes 3 LED Roses (that float on top) with a choice of 7 different colors, Red, Green, Hot Pink, Lavender, White, Orange, Blue, or Yellow.

If you want to stick with pearls...
I agree with Myra on the candelabra - a plain candelabra with long pearls draped all across with short taper candles would look very elegant.

I did see a picture of an empty champagne bottle with champange glasses over flowing with pearls surrounded by candles but I can't find it anymore. I thought it was really cute.

Good luck! I'd like to see what you come up with in the end.

~~~~~~~~
together is a perfect place to be because it's there that you can be delightfully imperfect. and there's nothing closer to perfection than being loved just because you are. 

sjhc132 Posts : 164 Registered: 3/18/08
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 7:33 PM Go to message in response to: bunnybear05

i found some pics

i was meant for him and he was meant for me :)

sjhc132 Posts : 164 Registered: 3/18/08
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 7:35 PM Go to message in response to: sjhc132

1920s  Party, Guests watch a pair of fencers play a round of their sport on the dance floor of a formal party, or more likely a masquerade party, during the 1920s., © Hulton-Deutsch Collection/CORBIS, RM, Athlete, Clothing, Fencer, Fencing, Formal wear, Group, Many, Party, People, Social event, Socialite

i was meant for him and he was meant for me :)

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 8:04 PM Go to message in response to: sjhc132

This was a hard one

JennHatesWaiting Posts : 74 Registered: 1/14/09
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 10:09 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

I really like the idea of using large feathers. Maybe vases with flowers and large feathers with strands of pearls draped on it. Or even just using single pearls kinda scattered around the vase. I'm loving these vintage-y looks. You might also look in the "light pink and black" thread thats right next to this one. It had some really cool pics posted in it that might give you some inspiration!

bunnybear05 Posts : 157 Registered: 1/7/09
Posted: Feb 12, 2009 10:36 PM Go to message in response to: JennHatesWaiting

Thanks, these are all some great ideas! I really am liking the candlambra(sp?) I'm gonna see if I could find a decent price on a bunch of them ( at least 18) My MIL saw light up branches as well, that could look cool mixed in with the shimmery branches.

MasterFlorist Posts : 222 Registered: 11/30/07
Posted: Feb 15, 2009 2:59 PM Go to message in response to: bunnybear05

Great theme.. For an easy and inexpensive alternative try tower vases. Sdflowers.com sells them from $2.68 to $9.98 though I would recommend using 20-24" tall. You can change the color of the clear glass simply by adding water with food coloring. Place two- three ostrich feathers in the opening and drape with pearl strands..like this:
Img_2527
Large photo here:
http://www.hirethings.co.nz/asset/show/5001-1920-s-glamour-centrepiece#

I would take the glass base and candles away

Visit my website

princessmiceli Posts : 5 Registered: 4/27/06
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 2:07 PM Go to message in response to: bunnybear05

My centerpieces might be right what your looking for....im selling them now ->
http://rochester.craigslist.org/for/1088767133.html

weddingspinster Posts : 20 Registered: 3/12/09
Posted: May 12, 2009 6:35 PM Go to message in response to: bunnybear05

First, congratulations on your engagement! Second, I love the fact that you’re adding some vintage touches to your wedding. I’m a big fan of vintage…as you’ll soon see!

It seems like you have a pretty clear idea of what you want to do, now. If you’re still trying to think of other ways to incorporate a non-floral, 1920s feel to your centerpieces, perhaps you could buy a book of Louis Icart and/or Maxfield Parrish paintings, and either cut them out (or, if they’re too big, shrink them down at a Xerox center) and put them in simple silver frames next to your candelabras. It shouldn’t be too expensive – especially if you get the frames at a discount store like Home Goods.

Another thing that would add a vintage touch to your table, if you don’t like Icart or Parrish, would be framed, vintage postcards – maybe featuring sites from around your home town? You can find them on Ebay.

I noticed that you already plan on giving out Dove candy as your gift to your guests. Another option would be to give out Sees candy. Why Sees? Because it was founded in 1921! If you’ve never tried it before, it’s really good – very popular here in California and now available at www.sees.com. Although they offer a pretty little box of candy especially to give out to guests at weddings, I have a feeling it would probably be too pricey (I couldn’t find a price, online). You could also order one or two kinds of candy, by the pound, then put one or two pieces in your own little gift boxes with a label, “Sees Candy, 1921; Our Wedding, 11/14/09” (or something like that!). But, again, that might cost more than you have budgeted.

If you want to add simple vintage touches to your cake table, here are some easy things you can do. I have photos of these things on my vintage wedding website (address at the bottom of this post):

Add Tuk ‘n’ Ruffle under your cake (available at www.wilton.com) - you can click on my link on my “Found It” page to see what it looks like.
Add greenery, or greenery with a few flowers, around your cake – you can click on my “Three Cakes, One Bakery” link on my “Zeroing In” page.
Put a candlestick (and candle!) on each side of your cake – also click on “Three Cakes, One Bakery” to see this.

For fun, you might want to read about vintage receptions on my “Planning Your 1935 Wedding” page (currently the link is on my main page; later, it will be moved to my “Et Cetera” page).

Potted palms against the wall will also add a vintage feel to your reception room – but I don’t know if there’s an affordable way to do something like that. Just something you might want to investigate, since you don’t like flowers.

My friend, Autumn, had a 1920s-inspired wedding, and you can read a little bit about it on my “Spotlight” page. If I’m able to borrow photos from her, showing her reception, I’ll post them and then let you know when I do…but don’t hold your breath -- she’s really busy and it took me about 5 months just to get her wedding photo from her!

I hope some of this helps you. Good luck, and have fun on your special day!

www.weddingspinster.com

weddingspinster Posts : 20 Registered: 3/12/09
Posted: May 13, 2009 5:12 PM Go to message in response to: bunnybear05

P.S. Just in case you are interested in using potted palms, it turns out you CAN get them, pretty cheap! I'd seen tall ones at a flower nursery, selling for $150, so I thought they would all be overpriced. But, at Lowe's hardware store today, I saw short (5 foot) potted palms for $11.50! Taller ones were $25. (Also, the palms I'm talking about AREN'T palm trees, like they have in Beverly Hills, they're the "skinny, long green leaves" kind that sort of fan out and droop at the top.) Much more doable! Anyway, just wanted to update you.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine