Victorian Fires

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

Gothicprincess Posts : 192 Registered: 3/3/07
Victorian Fires
Posted: Feb 8, 2009 6:59 AM

Im not a religious person but im asking for all your prays in this time.
Currently Victoria is undergoing the worst in history bushfires, out ranking Ash Wednesday which claimed 47 lives. So far 84 people have been confirmed dead, with the count not even coming close to what is expected. 640 homes have been confirmed lost, whole towns have gone up in flames.
The fires are still burning uncontrollably and it is not known when or how long they will burn for.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/744864/worst-day-in-history-vic-fires-kill-14

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Re: Victorian Fires
Posted: Feb 8, 2009 7:44 AM Go to message in response to: Gothicprincess

Holy cow.... I really hope that you and yours are safe. That's a terrible tragety. Do you guys get wildfires like that often?

I hope your government is doing all it's can to prevent further injuries. wow...

Proud Member of CAN POOP!!

IMG_7120.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

Heidibride30 Posts : 1,201 Registered: 4/16/08
Posted: Feb 8, 2009 8:22 AM Go to message in response to: Gothicprincess

That's horrible!! Stay safe, please!!

Proud member and S.C.A.T. of POOP - People Offended by Offended People

mdarcy Posts : 107 Registered: 2/8/08
Posted: Feb 8, 2009 8:35 AM Go to message in response to: Gothicprincess

I hope your loved ones and you are all far away from this disaster. I hope that if some of these fires are criminal as the article suggests that the culprit will be caught.

I remember when I was Down Under in 2001, there were huge fires around Christmas day in the Blue Mountains, if I remember well and it was terrible. I remember that there were lot of ashes is the sky and that it had continued to burn for a while.

I hope that it stops soon and that people of Victoria are going to be strong.

Good luck.

Posted: Feb 9, 2009 12:35 AM Go to message in response to: mdarcy

Thanks ladies, all my family live a good distance to the main fires so we are all safe.

So far there is 126 people confirmed dead and 750 homes destroyed, it just makes me sick to my stomach that someone lit these fires without a care. Its just mass murder. The authorities are saying that the death toll could be over 200.

The government have been awesome, they have already put out a 1000 dollars for each adult and 400 for each child, to help for a start, organising houses for people to stay. The salvation army and the red cross, have been working around the clock, feeding, clothing, counselling its just amazing how much the community comes to together in such a tragic disaster.

SoonToBeAWard Posts : 280 Registered: 5/22/06
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 7:12 AM Go to message in response to: Gothicprincess

Hi Gothic,

You have my prayers and thoughts right now. As a fellow Australian, I have seen news broadcast after broadcast and it just saddens me that the number of fatalities keeps on growing.

The fact that these fires are also suspected of being deliberately lit makes me absolutely sick to my stomach also. I simply cannot understand how some sick person gets off on doing something like this.

As a newcomer to Western Australia (we moved from NSW last September) I'm immensely proud that my adopted state has pledged $1 million to the relief effort. I'm also very proud of my brave and strong friend in Brisbane who is on her way to Victoria tomorrow to trauma counsel those who have been affected by these fires. It is really heartening to see Australians pitch in in any way they can and pull together in a tragedy such as this.

:: Lisa x ::

MrsMcDAtLast Posts : 860 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 2:17 PM Go to message in response to: Gothicprincess

How awful! The families of the victims of the fires, and that the fires will soon be gone will for sure be in my prayers!

marty08 Posts : 1,110 Registered: 7/1/07
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 3:23 PM Go to message in response to: Gothicprincess

GP!!

I thought about you yesterday..I was reading about the fires on drudge....OMG!! Sooo glad you and your family are safe....

Life's not all beer and skittles, mate!

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 5:00 AM Go to message in response to: marty08

evening ladies

firstly id like to say go WA, its just unbelievable how much people care and are willing to help out anyway. The two biggest radio stations joined today and raised just over 2 million dollars in 12 hours of being on air.
Aussie rule lol

The fires are still going, total death toll is 182, thats the last i heard anyway, just heart breaking they are now saying it could even reach 300 and take up to a year to id every body.

Its getting a little too close for my liking tho, we can now see the smoke from my brothers work and my work (work within 500 metres of each other) He lives a few streets away from there and i live a suburb over. But there is no current alerts for us tho. There was one earlier but its now been downgraded.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine