Things you Remember and Things you dont

Online Users: 1,365 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 25

5in3 Posts : 806 Registered: 8/15/06
Re: Things you Remember and Things you dont
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 4:53 PM Go to message in response to: nanette927

I got married 8 months ago. Wow...it doesn't seem like that long.

I remember laughing...A LOT!!! I was having so much fun...my photographer said he had never seeen such a relaxed - carefree bride (even when my flowers showed up completely wrong and the florist said it wasn't their problem).

I remember the limo driver pulling over about 300 feet from the church, and asking me if I wanted him to turn around, and if I was sure? Huh? My whole bridal party thought he was joking, but when we figured out he was serious we were really confused, since we had been laughing and happy the whole way there.

I remember holding my sister/MOH's hand just before she walked down the aisle.

I remember how beautiful my Grandma looked.

I remember my husband, he looked so amazing and happy.

I remember my brother singing, I remember our readings.

I remember all DH and my alone moments.

I remember the toasts.

I remember dancing.

I remember the food (It was soooooooooooooooooo Good even the cake, I asked for a second slice!)

I remember having to ask the DJ to start playing quieter/sleepy music at 3 am, in the hopes of getting people to leave.

I actually remember a lot, I won't list anymore.

I don't remember DH cousin/groomsman passing out during the ceremony. I do...but it takes someone mentioning it for me to remember.

I don't remember the milk and cookies being handed out at the end, but everyone keeps talking about them and our late night snack bar.

I don't remember the centerpieces, but I have pictures, which is okay. I am so glad I just went with the hotel's free ones, and augmented them. I spent 50.00 total on my centerpieces and they had hurricane candles, floating orchids and jewels.

I only remember our favors....Because hardly anyone took them home!!! Everyone was right....they were sooooooooooooo pointless. I should have just had the milk and cookies be the favor.

Me, my honey and our kitties make 4.

bride4life Posts : 499 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 9:11 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

I have lots but I realy don't want to type them all now. I wil mention two things:

1. I walked up the aisle to Elvis "Can't Help Falling in Love" played on the harp and I don't remember hearing it at all. I am sure noone reconized it..and that was ok to me...I knew...but I don't remember hearing it at all.

2. Lots and lots and lots of people left the reception with out saying good bye to me. Actually most people did. This hurt my feelings. So for all of you attending weddings soon....if you don't talk to the bride and groom at least say good bye at the end. I am sure people were like "I don't want to bother them lets just slip out" but I did not like this.

JackieB0129 Posts : 497 Registered: 4/24/07
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 9:55 PM Go to message in response to: bride4life

I remember tons.

Leading up to the wedding I was freaking out about everything, I think I e-mailed my photographer a million times to make sure things were all set up.

I remember the picture that we took with my entire family. It was my grandmother, her kids, their kids/spouses, and then their kids. It was 4 generations in 1 picture.

It was raining all morning (and it was an outdoor wedding) but it held off and once we started saying our vowes the sun came out. It was really amazing.

The food and the cake were fabulous. Who dosen't like barbque?! Too bad we forgot the plates to serve the wedding cake on. Whoops!

Our entire bridal party took a bunch of pictures on the playground. They were too cute and everyone commented on how much fun it was to watch a bunch of adults play on a slide.

We had a candy bar as our favor and every picture of my 3 year old cousin involves him with a mouth full of candy. His mother told me that I made his wildest dreams come true.

We forgot to put out our disposal cameras. I bought 20 of them and didn't even use one.

We also didn't end up doing a grand exit. We were too busy talking to people and we didn't use any of the bags of birdseed that my 88 year old grandmother sewed for us. I felt awful that we didn't use them and my aunts weren't too happy with us.

After the wedding all I wanted to do was take a nap and we ended up having to go to Target and buy some food storage containers to keep the left over BBQ in, Who goes to Target an hour after they get home from their wedding?

One of my bridesmaids kept asking me if I was ok before the wedding because I looked like I as mad at the world. I really wasn't but I apparently looked beyond angry. Oh well.

Oh... my sister is a stylist and did everyone's hair for the wedding. She was freaking out and told us that we needed to be at her place at 7am sharp... we pulled up at 7:15 and she was still sleeping in bed. When i called her on the phone to let us in the apartment her response was "Oh SH&T!!!". It was a riot.

Jackie B!

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

TigerBride515 Posts : 482 Registered: 10/15/08
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 7:28 AM Go to message in response to: JackieB0129

I thought this was a great idea for a thread so I'm giving it a BUMP!

Maybe brides to be can list some things that are stressing them and the wives can comment about whether they even noticed said stressing item?

For instance I'm stressing about the guest book and I'm starting to think that this is something that shouldn't be given that much thought!

preview imagepreview image

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 8:33 AM Go to message in response to: TigerBride515

I will help you Tiger!! I didnt do a "guestbook" per se, but I had made notecards with different quotes on the bottom for people to fill out and placein a basket. I didnt like the whole "i bught this at Hallmark" guest book looking thing. ANYWAY, when we got back from thje honeymooon and read them, only a handful of people filled any out. And some of our friends thought it would be funny to write 9 or 10 w/ stupid things on them. Where are these cards now you ask? no idea. I looked at them once.

So just ask yourself if you willl ever look back at the guestbook or if there might be another creative way to do it. For me I just didnt see the need to buy anything for the wedding that couldn't be used again. I had the typlical cake cutters and toasting flutes that I got as gifts, but they are in the garage as we speak. And until I get a dining room hutch they will stay there. I feel bad that the people who gave them to us wasted their money. But the decor I use to decorate my house for the fall, and I gave away some of the candle holders I bought to my BMs.

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 2:48 PM Go to message in response to: TigerBride515

Let me tell you my experience with the guestbook. I didn't want a BOOK. I wanted one of those autographable picture frames. Where you put a pic of the couple in the middle and everyone signs around it. It was actually one of the 1st things we ever bought for the wedding. Now my IL's decided upon themselves to get me a BOOK. Which only the 1st page was even signed, most people signed the picture frame. And guess what? The frame is hung on a wall in our living room so anyone who comes over can see it and where is the book? In a drawer and neither us nor anyone else ever looks at it....there you go....

Mrs. Pinky

vday.gif picture by jenny3_26_05

Our Wedding Website 

My mom: "Xanax - sometimes I will take a half and it really eases tension and keeps me from being less of raving bitch."

My friend: "Alcohol just makes the floor hate me even more."

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 3:18 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

I remember bits and pieces!

• I remember my father complaining we were gonna be late--Uh Duh Dad they can't start without US!!
    • I remember my Mom running around in the backyard chasing the ringbearer to "wear him out a bit" while we were all getting ready
    • I remember my nephew, the ringbearer, throwing a royal temper tantrum at the wedding--he wanted to marry me, not Uncle Mikey!
    • I remember my niece, a newly diagnosed diabetic, weaseling gum off my mom--telling her "yeah it's ok for me" (neither one of them had a clue!!!)
    • I remember my dad telling Mike "good luck she's your problem now" when he gave me away (THANK God the mics didn't pick THAT up!)
    • I remember my cake topper was NOT on the cake (apparently it was too heavy)
    • I remember my Grandma's neighbor's daughter getting married a few feet from us--their reception was across the hall!
    • I remember my bff's father throwing a royal fit over her having 2 alcoholic drinks (she's 32 for God's sake!!!)
    • I remember all the kids had to be held back during the special dances, they were dying to dance!
    • I remember that we all thought the flower girl would be the problem child--she was a perfect angel!!!
    • I remember my FIL getting his tie FedExed to him 'cause he forgot it, Mike made it for him (paper tie!) for Father's Day in Kindergarten.....

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 3:27 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

I used a coffee table book of castles in Ireland for our guest book. Well only about 15 people signed it! UGH!!! So PLEASE Brides to be, do NOT stress over the guest book!

PinkHippo Posts : 53 Registered: 11/2/08
Posted: Jan 31, 2009 4:41 AM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

For starters I want to say thank you, I love this thread! I have so many things that I am stressing about in the wedding and they are all little things. I agree I wasn't for a guest book. I thought it was stupid becuase I would never look at it again. But I love the idea a friend used so we will be doing it too! They took pictures of themselves together from trips, from the past years they had been together and made a photo book. One side photos and one side blank so that guests could write a message or something in it. I like the idea of having a photo book so to say instead of a just a book with a bunch of names in it.

Also I was worried about favors, but now I am thinking about forgoing them all together. We are giving bottled water at our outdoor ceramony and that works as a favor to me. WHen I think back I can not remember a single favor that we got at anyone else's wedding so why would anyone remember mine. THat is just money i can put towards something else.

I guess I am most nervous about everything coming together in the end. But I know it will, it alwasy does

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jan 31, 2009 5:57 PM Go to message in response to: PinkHippo

2. Lots and lots and lots of people left the reception with out saying
good bye to me. Actually most people did. This hurt my feelings.

This is funny, but that's one of the things that I totally didn't notice or care about. I can only remember one person coming up to say goodbye to me...but I was dancing my butt off, and I probably would have been annoyed if people had continually come up to me to say goodbye. Also, we had told everybody that we'd be going to the hotel bar afterwards, and most people probably thought they'd see us there. I think I had a chance to talk to everyone at the bar, but I can't specifically remember anyone saying goodbye to me. And I didn't drink that much, either. I guess it just goes to show that people remember/care about totally different things.

On the guest book thing, I've looked at ours once - just to see whether anybody signed it. It looked like most people did not. (Maybe a third of the guests signed it) And I couldn't care less. I know who was there. I have the photos, the cards, and even all the RSVP cards (I liked that some people wrote messages on them!), so why do I need a book with everyone's name or message in it? The cards are better.

Oh, and about favors, I think they're totally useless. Most of the time, I don't even take mine. The only useful ones are edible, and I normally eat them before the end of the reception. I do, however, like cookie/candy buffets...though I'll probably still eat more before leaving the reception than I will take home with me. Anyway, we didn't do them and nobody noticed or cared.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

BellaBeautifulB... Posts : 78 Registered: 8/9/07
Posted: Feb 6, 2009 10:45 AM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

I have to say that I luv this thread. I am just about 5 months away from my wedding and all the smaller things are adding up and I have definitely been more anxious lately. A couple of months ago I kept having this reoccuring dream that it was the day after my wedding and I couldn't remember a thing. My mom, DH, and best friend could and would tell me all about it but I could not remember one thing and I was so upset. LOL, luckily I know that while I won't remember everything I definitely will have my memories.

It's so reassuring to hear from those brides that can remember quite a bit. I know that I am just going to try to keep myself in the moment. It's so hard and I know just how fast the day rushes past. The spring and summer before last I was first a bridesmaid in my brother's wedding and after that the MOH for my MOH. I know that even though I want to be everywhere it's just not possible. You have to make the most of what you do and enjoy all your hard work! I am going to really try not to sweat the small stuff (or even bigger stuff). When my wedding is over I want to remember being completely happy and all the fun that I had throughout the day and all my friends and family. Not bridezilla like tantrums over little things that are blown out of proportion. Lucky for me though my mom & MOH are very awesome and will keep me grounded and happy :)

Right now I am definitely stressing over the guest book and favors question. I am liking the idea of having the guests sign a picture. I think that is more fun and modern and useful. The favors are something I originally wanted to do but am now reconsidering. I was going to put 5 white italian almonds (basically just jordan almonds from Italy) in a holder with pink tulle around and a little rose with a little saying explaining the significance. It's an Italian tradition that says it will bring health wealth and happiness for the bride and groom. It is a very cute but small favor so now I am wondering if I should even waste all the time and energy. I just don't know now. Decisions, decisions.

Daisypath Wedding PicDaisypath Wedding Ticker

Edited by: BellaBeautifulBride09 on Feb 6, 2009 10:48 AM

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine