Blood donor poll (please respond, helping a friend)

Online Users: 1,268 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 18

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Re: Blood donor poll (please respond, helping a friend)
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 11:42 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

1. Where do you live? (if you live in Canada or the USA, please also say what state or province if you are comfortable with that...otherwise just your country is fine) - Montgomery, AL, USA

2. Where you live, do you get paid to donate blood? If so, how much? - No (they might pay, I've just not done it)

3. Have you ever donated blood? If so, how many times? -- No, I haven't. I tried once in college and got turned away for weighing too little (our choir did it one day after practice, and I dragged my teddy bear along for support. As it turned out, I was moral support for the rest of the choir. Since then, I've been told I can't because of living in England in the 80s. <mad cow>. That restriction may have been lifted, but I do not know)

4. Have you ever donated plasma or platlets, etc. separately from a whole blood donation (note: I guess when you donate, they take a bit of this stuff anyway, but you can make separate appointments to specifically donate these things as well...if that's wrong, maybe someone can explain it better?) -- No

5. Are you/have you ever considered being on your country's bone marrow registry (if your country has one)? -- No.

6. Have you ever been a blood or plasma RECIPIENT? - No

7. Do you know your blood type? If so, what is it? How did you find out? -- O positive. I think it was some school thing

8. Do you have any concerns/worries that prevent you from donating/would prevent you from donating in the future? -- Mainly the mad cow thing mentioned above. My dad used to donate every time he could, and then one time he was told he couldn't. // I also do not like that where I am donating tends to SELL my blood to the hospital. Excuse me, I gave it to you. I expect you to give it to them without charge (and hospitals... I expect you to give it to the patients too. It was given freely and I don't think you should be charging for our gift!)

9. What do you think could be done to increase the amount of blood donations in your area? -- I think the charge issue, and more red cross as opposed to other companies. I don't trust the other companies.

10. (for those who have donated blood at least once): have you ever had an adverse reaction to blood donation (ie fainting)? - n/a

Misty

Visit our Wedding Website

Cassiopeia Posts : 85 Registered: 1/1/09
Posted: Feb 5, 2009 12:31 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

I have a question...not from my friend, but from me. Do you think it's
unethical, in a way, to pay someone for donating blood? Ie. could cause
them to potentially lie about health conditions contraindicated for
blood donations (low iron, tendancy to fainting spells following
donations, etc) in order to get the money?

Well, they'd be unable to lie about the low iron, because they test that (Here, anyway) before allowing someone to donate. And the keep a file on past donors. And I have no doubt that people would do it just for the money - blood donor centers are always filled with poorer people on days that they have better food (For example, pizza wednesdays) They feed people who come in even if they are found ineligible, though.

LinzZ Posts : 683 Registered: 12/13/07
Posted: Feb 5, 2009 12:42 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

1. Where do you live? Ohio, USA

2. Where you live, do you get paid to donate blood? If so, how much? No

3. Have you ever donated blood? If so, how many times? Yes, 3 or 4 times

4. Have you ever donated plasma or platlets, etc. separately from a whole blood donation? No

5. Are you/have you ever considered being on your country's bone marrow registry (if your country has one)? Do we have one in the US? I don't know. I'm not on it if we do.

6. Have you ever been a blood or plasma RECIPIENT? No

7. Do you know your blood type? If so, what is it? How did you find out? Yes, I'm A+. American Red Cross sent me a card after donating.

8. Do you have any concerns/worries that prevent you from donating/would prevent you from donating in the future? I just got a new tattoo that prevents me from donating from a little while. My iron levels are always iffy, although I've yet to be turned away.

9. What do you think could be done to increase the amount of blood donations in your area?
The elementary school I work at hosted a blood drive last year and had 20 people come. This year they bribed the students to get adults to promise to come (anybody who returned their form with adult signatures promising to come would be entered into a drawing). They had 60 people show up in the first hour or so. I think bribing the kids might work. Haha!

10. (for those who have donated blood at least once): have you ever had an adverse reaction to blood donation (ie fainting)? I always faint. It takes me about 1.5 hours from the time I sit in the chair to the time I'm good to drive home. Even with juice and cookies. I don't mind the needles, the sight of blood, etc. The blood loss takes a toll on me (weak and faint).

You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly. ~ Sam Keen

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Feb 5, 2009 10:33 AM Go to message in response to: Cassiopeia

Absolutely not unethical. It was how we got grocery money. There were a lot of working women like me doing it. And, they kept lists, they did all kinds of testing, and they followed up and would not allow people to donate if they did not qualify. Personally, it was a lifesaver for me. Also, I tend to assume the other end of the financial spectrum is far less ethical. It's not a handout, it is time consuming and you have to meet the health criteria to do it. I don't trust (generally automatically) the other end of the financial spectrum.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine