Blood donor poll (please respond, helping a friend)

Online Users: 1,292 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 18

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Blood donor poll (please respond, helping a friend)
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 2:45 AM

My friend is compiling data for a school project. Since I find the topic interesting, I told her I'd help her out and post this small "survey" on some of the boards I post on. Feel free to add any additional comments/opinions even if they aren't related specifically to the questions.

1. Where do you live? (if you live in Canada or the USA, please also say what state or province if you are comfortable with that...otherwise just your country is fine)

2. Where you live, do you get paid to donate blood? If so, how much?

3. Have you ever donated blood? If so, how many times?

4. Have you ever donated plasma or platlets, etc. separately from a whole blood donation (note: I guess when you donate, they take a bit of this stuff anyway, but you can make separate appointments to specifically donate these things as well...if that's wrong, maybe someone can explain it better?)

5. Are you/have you ever considered being on your country's bone marrow registry (if your country has one)?

6. Have you ever been a blood or plasma RECIPIENT?

7. Do you know your blood type? If so, what is it? How did you find out?

8. Do you have any concerns/worries that prevent you from donating/would prevent you from donating in the future?

9. What do you think could be done to increase the amount of blood donations in your area?

10. (for those who have donated blood at least once): have you ever had an adverse reaction to blood donation (ie fainting)?

Here are my answers, if anyone is interested :P

1. Ontario, Canada
2. No, we don't get paid. Goodness of our hearts only (no wonder our blood bank is always in trouble, lol)
3. Twice, I think...
4. No
5. I'm on the registry...it's pretty easy to join, but I think you have to take it seriously and be willing to be flexible...you could get a call 20 years down the road!
6. I had a blood transfusion right after birth...I just found out about it. My mom thought I'd worry because it was in the early 80s, and you know all the bad stuff that happened with transfusions then...
7. A+...I found my old hospital records, plus they sent me a letter after I donated blood the first time telling me my blood type.
8. I had to stop donating because I suffer from problems with low iron and apparently my donations made it worse....so in the future, I will only donate after my doctor OK's it.
9. I don't have a magical solution, but I do wonder if areas where donors get paid, even a small amount, have a better turn out than here...or maybe some other incentive, like a tax break or something, would help
10. No, but like I said, it seemed to aggrevate my iron problem. The clinic I go to (this is probably common) tries to fend off fainting by having you wait a few minutes after donating, where they give you juice, cookies, etc.

Thanks in advance. I know this is probably a pretty boring topic for most people, even though my friend and I find it really interesting, lol.

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: Blood donor poll (please respond, helping a friend)
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 9:12 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

1. Virginia, USA

2. No

3. Yes, upwards of 30 times

4. I often do the apheresis (plasma, platelets and packed red blood cells) as my blood type is actually the universal donoer for plasma but my blood in it's whole form can only help 4% of the population.

5. Yes, but I am hesitant.

6. No

7. AB-, from donating

8. Not really, just stupid nurses who don't listen to me about my veins and blow them

9. They rarely publicize about needing blood. Everyone rushed to donate after 9/11, they had to turn people away but encouraged themto come back in a couple of weeks - but they never pushed it. If they had kept awareness high they would have gotten more long term donations.

10. No, no fainting. But one nurse blew my vein.

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 10:01 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

1. Where do you live? (if you live in Canada or the USA, please also say what state or province if you are comfortable with that...otherwise just your country is fine)

US

Not that I'm aware of. I don't know anyone who has been paid to donate blood. They normally just have blood drives at the hospital, high schools, and local churches.

No I can't donate blood, I'm about 15-20 lbs under the weight limit...so they won't let me. But I would really like to. I assume they have a weight limit everywhere, I think it is dumb though. I mean they could atleast do it and just not take as much or something...I don't know.

4. Have you ever donated plasma or platlets, etc. separately from a whole blood donation (note: I guess when you donate, they take a bit of this stuff anyway, but you can make separate appointments to specifically donate these things as well...if that's wrong, maybe someone can explain it better?)

Read Above Response

5. Are you/have you ever considered being on your country's bone marrow registry (if your country has one)?

Well I recently learned A LOT about bone marrow transplants. I had never considered it before, but now I kind of would.

No

I do not know.

8. Do you have any concerns/worries that prevent you from donating/would prevent you from donating in the future?

I'm a tiny bit afraid of IV type needles. I don't mind to stick people, but I don't want to be stuck. But that wouldn't stop me from doing it.

9. What do you think could be done to increase the amount of blood donations in your area?

More advertisement of it. They are having a blood drive at the hospital in my county today (in a ton of snow so I doubt they get anyone). But FH said yesterday that he was going to try to go donate blood but he didn't know if it had been 60 days since he last did, but I had no clue they were even doing it.

10. (for those who have donated blood at least once): have you ever had an adverse reaction to blood donation (ie fainting)?

Thats why the snacks are there... haha. (I bet thats why my FH likes to donate blood so much, the SNACKS!! & the free T shirt...I'm on to him haha)

lori83 Posts : 1,852 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 10:49 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

1. USA, NY

2. No

3. 10-15 times

4. No

5. I have considered it but my husband does not want me to. For the time being I have not.

6. No

7. A negative - 8th or 9th grade science class.

8. No, I don't have any concerns. Many times in the past they have not accepted me because I had a low iron count. Since my uterine ablation that hasn't been an issue.

9. I have no clue. Our area blood drives tend to get a very good turnout. They had to turn people away once because they ran out of bags at the site. I think they come prepared now.

10. No. I have never felt bad during or after. Some of the techs seem pretty lousy at their jobs though. I've had a needle pulled out 'by accident' and have had a very bruised arm for days, but it's never scared me off. My son and husband won't go with me. They are so whimpy I am sure they would pass out. We get juice and cookies too.

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 11:44 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

1. Where do you live? (if you live in Canada or the USA, please also say what state or province if you are comfortable with that...otherwise just your country is fine) New Jersey USA

2. Where you live, do you get paid to donate blood? If so, how much? No

3. Have you ever donated blood? If so, how many times? yes, I don't know

4. Have you ever donated plasma or platlets, etc. separately from a whole blood donation (note: I guess when you donate, they take a bit of this stuff anyway, but you can make separate appointments to specifically donate these things as well...if that's wrong, maybe someone can explain it better?) no

5. Are you/have you ever considered being on your country's bone marrow registry (if your country has one)? I am

6. Have you ever been a blood or plasma RECIPIENT? No

7. Do you know your blood type? If so, what is it? How did you find out? Yes, O+ from my dogtags

8. Do you have any concerns/worries that prevent you from donating/would prevent you from donating in the future? No

9. What do you think could be done to increase the amount of blood donations in your area? No idea

10. (for those who have donated blood at least once): have you ever had an adverse reaction to blood donation (ie fainting)? No

I give blood 6 times per year I have done it for over 20 years a blood donation saved a friends life once and I have done it ever since.

Kenny and me perfect together, 10 years and counting

Sucks to be you, So glad I am me

Proud Member of P.O.O.P, People Offended by Offended People

Edited by: kennysoldwife on Feb 4, 2009 11:49 AM

uno Posts : 619 Registered: 1/4/08
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 1:06 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

1. Where do you live? Indiana

2. Where you live, do you get paid to donate blood? If so, how much? I don't know anyone who has gotten paid.

3. Have you ever donated blood? If so, how many times? No, I'm under the weight limit.

4. Have you ever donated plasma or platlets, etc. separately from a whole blood donation? Nope

5. Are you/have you ever considered being on your country's bone marrow registry (if your country has one)? I didn't know they had one.

6. Have you ever been a blood or plasma RECIPIENT? No

7. Do you know your blood type? If so, what is it? How did you find out? I know we did a test in Biology in college to find out but off the top of my head, I have no idea.

8. Do you have any concerns/worries that prevent you from donating/would prevent you from donating in the future? I'm afraid I would pass out.

9. What do you think could be done to increase the amount of blood donations in your area? More press before a blood drive. I usually hear about them the day of, or the day after.

10. (for those who have donated blood at least once): have you ever had an adverse reaction to blood donation (ie fainting)? n/a

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 2:37 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

USA

It is illegal to pay for human transfusion blood. Thus, I am not paid for transfusion blood donations. I have been paid for donation to a research project where the blood was not used for human transfusion. Our blood bank does give out things like movie passes and ice cream coupons for blood donors.

Gazillions of times. I do it a lot. At least three or four times a year.

No.

Yes, have been for 20 years.

No.

A+, from blood donations. My Red Cross card is so noted.

None.

Better publicity. I also think they should reconsider the "Mad Cow" prohibitions. As it is, if a person has spent more than 3 months in the UK they are deferred. I think that's too strict. I know of several families who would gladly donate regularly but have spent too much time in the UK. I was deferred for several years for having spent more than 6 months in Western Europe, but they changed that restriction to 5 years. So, I'm undeferred and back in the donation pool.

No. It's really routine for me. I go in, get screened, then hook up my iPod and zone out.

I have a friend in Germany who is, also, a regular blood donor. He is O- and is very valuable to them. In Germany, they are allowed to pay a small stipend for blood donations for human transfusion. I believe he gets about €25 for each donation. Another difference in Germany is they have a different wait time between donations for men and women. In the US it's the same for both sexes.

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 2:59 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

Schenectady NY

No

Once

No

I am on it

no

I don't remember what it is

just the needle

More education, public announcements

I fainted & threw up at after donating at work (thinking that I was okay)

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 2:59 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

1. Where do you live? (if you live in Canada or the USA, please also
say what state or province if you are comfortable with that...otherwise
just your country is fine)

Colorado

Back when I did this, I lived in Kansas, and yes we got paid for plasma, but no for blood. For plasma, I got I think 65/week if I remember right. You could only do it twice/7 days and were paid in cash. This was my grocery money for a long time, back wehn I wasn't getting any child support and had public defender salary. I did it forever. It was time consuming and inconvenient and sometimes the techs would insert the needle wrong. Last time that happened they stuck it all the way through my v ein or something. Didn't notice right away, and omg did it hurt by the time they figured it out. And then, I couldn't donate for about a month while I healed. There was a weight limit and iron limit with them, too, and I was close but over enough to donate.

3. Have you ever donated blood? If so, how many times? Not whole blood because you can't do plasma then. I would now, but I have never heard any advertisements locally or about any drives locally. That is my suggestion for how to improve donations. Advertise more. And, the payment for the plasma would probably help. It was minimal, but it really helped me out wth food back wehn we were starving.

4. Have you ever donated plasma or platlets, etc. separately from a
whole blood donation (note: I guess when you donate, they take a bit of
this stuff anyway, but you can make separate appointments to
specifically donate these things as well...if that's wrong, maybe
someone can explain it better?) Yes, see above.

5. Are you/have you ever considered being on your country's bone marrow registry (if your country has one)? I don't know, but am an organ donor. I will look into it and become one. There is no reason (imo) for a shortage of donations/organs.

No

7. Do you know your blood type? If so, what is it? How did you find out? o+ and, from donating

8. Do you have any concerns/worries that prevent you from donating/would prevent you from donating in the future? No

9. What do you think could be done to increase the amount of blood donations in your area? See above

10. (for those who have donated blood at least once): have you ever had an adverse reaction to blood donation (ie fainting)?See above. I didn't faint, but almost and the pain in that arm was really bad. Horribly bruised too and painful for a few days. But that was the tech's fault. When done properly, I had no issues and no pain at all.

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 3:58 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

California USA

No

So many times I've lost count

No

I'm on the registry. I would love to be a match for someone and potentially be responsible for saving their life.

No

It's on my blood donor card but I don't have that with me. I think I'm O positive but I'm not 100% certain.

None

Blood banks should come periodically to office buildings instead of only during catastrophic times.

Never. I'm like a machine!!

Member and Co-Founder of POOP:  

"People Offended by Offended People"

Photobucket 

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 4:48 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

New Jersey, USA.

I think so, but not sure how much.

A few times but long ago. Not recently. Maybe 3 times total over 5 years ago.

No.

Ive thought about it - but so far, no Im not on it.

6. Have you ever been a blood or plasma RECIPIENT? No.

7. Do you know your blood type? If so, what is it? How did you find out? Okay this is awful that I dont know this. I mean, I know I could find out super easily, but I dont know offhand.

8. Do you have any concerns/worries that prevent you from donating/would prevent you from donating in the future? No.

Obvoiusly more education about the topic since Im a good example of someone who doesnt know much about it lol.

Yes. Fainting, feeling weak, etc. Nausea. I hate blood and if I look, Ill flip out. But its physical too.

Im sure that wasnt much help lol.

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 8:37 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

just your country is fine)
Northern VA, in the DC area

Nope

Several times a year for about 10 years

someone can explain it better?)
No, never really thought about it

No, but I would consider it in the future

No

O positive. The Red Cross sent me a donor card with my blood type after the first time I donated.

Not worries, but I have to watch my iron if I'm planning to donate. Probably the biggest obstacle that prevents me from donating more often is that it takes me more time than most people to recover. I can't simply go to a blood drive during lunch and then go back to work. I have to plan to spend an hour sitting there afterwards before I can get up and walk, and I have to take it easy for the rest of the day. So if I'm busy or stressed, I'll probably skip the blood drive, since it's not a quick or easy process for me.

I think my area probably has a higher-than-average amount of blood donations, simply because so many people work for the federal government or military (or have family members that do) and they tend to be good at publicizing blood drives. Overall, I think the general public needs to be better educated about donating blood, particularly minority groups, non-native English speakers, and low-income people. If blood banks could get the word out better - and the FACTS about donating blood - to a wider demographics, I think they'd get more donations.

Yeah, due to the low iron issue. Ocassionally, I'm fine in a reasonable amount of time - but more often, I have to spend far longer recovering after donating than most people do. If I get up too fast (and sitting twice as long as recommended is too fast), I'll faint or vomit. Most of the time, I make it Ok with a little dizziness or slight nausea...but I know from experience that I have to take it easy. Like I said above, there's no going back to work after donating for me. I have to take it easy for the rest of the day.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President of P.O.O.P.: People Offended by Offended People.

mobride09 Posts : 519 Registered: 3/5/08
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 8:58 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

1. Where do you live? (if you live in Canada or the USA, please also say what state or province if you are comfortable with that...otherwise just your country is fine)-- Missouri

2. Where you live, do you get paid to donate blood? If so, how much? There are some collections stations for plasma that pay, but for packed cells or platetlets they don't pay. The plasma they pay you for isn't used as a blood product though. They use it to make coag reagents and that type of thing.

3. Have you ever donated blood? If so, how many times? Yes. I have no idea how many times. A lot.

4. Have you ever donated plasma or platlets, etc. separately from a whole blood donation (note: I guess when you donate, they take a bit of this stuff anyway, but you can make separate appointments to specifically donate these things as well...if that's wrong, maybe someone can explain it better?) I donate platelets every time because I am A pos and they simply need my platelets and plasma more than my red cells.

5. Are you/have you ever considered being on your country's bone marrow registry (if your country has one)? No, although I have to admit I wouldn't be against it.

6. Have you ever been a blood or plasma RECIPIENT? Nope.

7. Do you know your blood type? If so, what is it? How did you find out? I am A Pos. I found out from donating, but I also did a type and screen on myself in school. I also know what antigens I am positive and negative for.

8. Do you have any concerns/worries that prevent you from donating/would prevent you from donating in the future? Nope.

9. What do you think could be done to increase the amount of blood donations in your area? I think it is really important to go to the colleges, because lots of times sororities have a minimum amount of service they have to do and giving blood counts.

10. (for those who have donated blood at least once): have you ever had an adverse reaction to blood donation (ie fainting)? nope.

Cassiopeia Posts : 85 Registered: 1/1/09
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 9:04 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

just your country is fine) USA, northern Maine

2. Where you live, do you get paid to donate blood? If so, how much?: No, we don't get paid anything, but there are prizes and drawings for donors. For example sometimes we get an entry to win redsocks tickets, as well as getting a t-shirt. I have so many of blood-donation hats and t-shirts. We get pizza, ice cream and generally really good food when we donate.

3. Have you ever donated blood? If so, how many times?: Yes, I have. I have no idea how many times.

someone can explain it better?): I have always done a whole blood donation.

5. Are you/have you ever considered being on your country's bone marrow registry (if your country has one)?: I already am.

6. Have you ever been a blood or plasma RECIPIENT?: Not that I am aware of.

7. Do you know your blood type? If so, what is it? How did you find out?: I'm not sure, but I was probably told in one of the letters sent after a blood donation.

8. Do you have any concerns/worries that prevent you from donating/would prevent you from donating in the future?: The only thing that would prevent me would be if my blood would cause a risk to others, for example if I were to become ill.

9. What do you think could be done to increase the amount of blood donations in your area?: I think the standards for blood donation are unnecessarily strict against homosexual men. Changing these standards may help attract more donors,

10. (for those who have donated blood at least once): have you ever had an adverse reaction to blood donation (ie fainting)? : I had a slight dizzy spell, but I hadn't eaten much that day. Usually I am just fine.

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 9:31 PM Go to message in response to: Cassiopeia

Thanks for all of the replies! Personally, I thought a lot more areas in the States paid for blood donations...interesting to learn the truth.

I have a question...not from my friend, but from me. Do you think it's unethical, in a way, to pay someone for donating blood? Ie. could cause them to potentially lie about health conditions contraindicated for blood donations (low iron, tendancy to fainting spells following donations, etc) in order to get the money?

I'm not sure what I think...

Also, I agree with needing to advertise blood donation more. When I donate, as soon as you are eligable to donate again, they keep calling and calling (almost to the point of being annoying, but I understand why). Do they do this in your areas too?

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine