small question

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

bunniekrissy Posts : 10 Registered: 1/16/09
small question
Posted: Feb 2, 2009 2:07 PM

So, bf told me a few weeks ago that he is planning on proposing soon... he didn't want me to worry because we have discussed getting married this year and our time to pull that together is getting ever shorter.

The other night he told me he was looking at jewlrey at a local shopping center and the people there kept telling him to "just buy this one" and it wasn't very helpful. Now I had earlier given him the name of a jeweler my mother is getting her ring reset at, they were recommended to her as having good prices and being helpful.

The question is, why did bf tell me he was ring shopping and people weren't helpful? Is it his way of saying thanks for referring him to a helpful jeweler? Is he hoping I'll offer to go look at rings with him because he has no idea what to buy? Mind you, he normally won't even buy clothes for me because he is afraid he will pick something ugly. I don't want to interfere with him doing his thing if that's how he wants to do it, but I don't want to leave him lost either.

Anyway, not a really big deal, but I am bored at work and I would be interested in seeing what people think. Thanks :)

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Re: small question
Posted: Feb 2, 2009 2:35 PM Go to message in response to: bunniekrissy

If I had to guess, it sounds like he may be looking for a hint. My FH took me into a couple jewelry stores at the mall, just to get an idea what style I liked. Then went back and picked out the ring himself. There are a lot of choices, he may be overwhelmed.

TigerBride515 Posts : 482 Registered: 10/15/08
Posted: Feb 2, 2009 3:02 PM Go to message in response to: SteffMay2009

I agree. Sounds like he needs some direction. I gave FH some basic preferences (ie round, white gold, not solitaire) and then he went and picked out something he liked that fit in that general description. There are so many choices and it's such a momentous purchase that guys really want to get it right!

preview imagepreview image

bunniekrissy Posts : 10 Registered: 1/16/09
Posted: Feb 3, 2009 2:27 PM Go to message in response to: TigerBride515

Thank you for the replies! I did already give him some guidelines on what I like and don't like, but I imagine it's still a confusing decision. I can't even decide what sort of ring I would like best.

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 5:45 PM Go to message in response to: bunniekrissy

Haha, agreed. The first time I walked into a jewelery store I felt totally lost because I had no idea what kind of ring I wanted and everything was dazzling my eyes. I asked my boyfriend once if he wanted to pick out the ring by himself, but he responded no way, that he wanted my input since it'd be my jewelery. I've heard of a lot of brides shopping with their man, picking out a few styles they like, and then the guy returns to the store by himself and picks one. Or, the girl goes by herself or with a friend, selects rings or styles she likes, and then the guy goes to the store where either the saleslady (who took notes) or the friend can guide him.

One other possibility is that your boyfriend could be overwhelmed not just by the ring itself but the cost. My friend's naive boyfriend had the thought process of "Well my class ring cost a couple hundred dollars, so an equally large and important ring (i.e. engagement) will too." Poor guy's jaw almost hit the floor when he realized they cost ten times that, lol!

AmyLarr Posts : 8 Registered: 2/23/09
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 3:06 PM Go to message in response to: bunniekrissy

I agree he needs some guidence but doesn't want to come right out and ask for it. Leave a picturte of the ring you like ying around for him to see. Or something subtle like that.

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 3:49 PM Go to message in response to: AmyLarr

ha I would hardly call leaving a photo of a ring lying around as subtle

not saying it's a bad idea, tell him what you want or show him
give him some guidelines

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine