What food and drinks are you serving at your reception?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 22

Allisonweddingl... Posts : 4 Registered: 9/20/08
What food and drinks are you serving at your reception?
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 12:23 PM

Hello! What food and drinks are/did you serve at your reception? This is my favorite part of the wedding planning - I love food and wine!

I would love to hear what your menu's were/are....do you have any suggestions, anything you would do differently? Anything that was a huge hit?

Also - wondering what a good non-alcoholic drink to have for those who don't want beer or wine? Juice just seems....odd....to me, but maybe I am wrong.

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Re: What food and drinks are you serving at your reception?
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 12:39 PM Go to message in response to: Allisonweddingl...

Hello. Oh I love food!! We are having a brunch reception, starting out with a mimosa cocktail hour. We will have regualr and either peach or pomagranite mimosas and sparkling cider mimosas. Then for food we will have a fresh fruit spread, Greek salad, Cheeze blintzes with strawberry comote (sp??), assorted quiches, bacon, sausage, and roasted red potatoes. The mimosas and champaigne for the toast is all the alcohol we will have. We will have tea juice and coffee and water.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 12:58 PM Go to message in response to: Allisonweddingl...

Choosing the menu was definitely the best part of planning the wedding!

For entrees, we had a choice of salmon or filet mignon. There was also a vegetarian option, but nobody wanted it, so I never found out what it would have been! For the salad course, we went with Caesar salads, which were tasty. During cocktail hour, we had five types of hors d'ouevres: mini crab cakes (a speciality of the venue and also a local favorite), chicken samosas, beef empanadas (these were absolutely fantastic - and I normally don't like beef!), vegetable potstickers, and crostini with smoked salmon and cucumber. Honestly, everything was a hit, and I wouldn't do anything differently. Everybody raved about the food - but we knew they would, since we picked the venue specifically because the food is amazing there!

As far as drinks go, we had a full open bar, but we had tableside wine service during dinner. The red wine was Mirassou pinot noir (not fantastic, but good and inexpensive enough to serve a large group without feeling guilty over the cost). I can't remember what I chose for the white - some type of chardonnay, I think. DH and I (and many of our friends and family) like German and Belgian beers, so we asked the venue to order Blue Moon and Franziskanner, in addition to whatever they normally offer. As far as the 'what to offer people who don't drink alcohol' question goes, I didn't worry about it and I have no idea what they drank. I just assumed that they would go to the bartender and ask for a soda, juice, a Shirley Temple, or whatever else they wanted. And everybody had water at their seat, as well.

I wouldn't change anything about our alcohol choices, either, but I'll offer you a tip that someone told me: Use the house champagne for your toast. While it may be worth it to upgrade from the house wines, as many people will have a glass with dinner and might appreciate a good wine, it's not worth it to upgrade champagne for your toast, as most people only take a few sips of it and many don't like it at all. So while many guests might appreciate a nicer red or white wine with dinner, very few will appreciate or notice a nice champagne, so you're better off spending your money elsewhere. I personally LOVE champagne and probably would have picked a nicer one if a friend hadn't told me this...but it makes a lot of sense, so I went with the house champagne, which wasn't bad, anyway. A friend of mine spent a LOT of money on a REALLY nice champagne, so she was pretty bummed out when she still saw mostly-full glasses a half-hour after the toast. I, of course, drank my own AND everybody's at my table, so she can't complain to me! ;)

DaisypathWedding Ticker

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 3:36 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

I have to agree about the champagne, especially if,like the PP, you're doing mixed drinks (like mimosas, kirs, Ramos fizz) that include champagne--the good stuff is a waste. Also, as a champagne alternative (and nobody will even know), use italian Prosecco--it's delicious and much cheaper than the equivalent quality of champagne.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 6:22 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Good point on prosecco, Myra! Our 'champagne' was technically a California sparkling wine, not French champagne. Doesn't matter to me...if it's bubbly, I call it champagne!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 6:37 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

My caterer was the head of the local Community College's Culinary arts program along with three students, all in their white jackets and tall hats. hehe We worked out the menu with him and we LOVED it. We had chicken stuffed with spinach and feta cheese (way yum) and then a marinated beef tenderloin (which went over very well as well), we had a mix of fall veggies that were marinated and chilled and then a pasta primavera. There may have been one other side dish... hmm... We had a green house salad and fresh rolls.

Oh! if you're doing a fall/winter wedding and you're looking for something non-alcoholic, my caterer made this AMAZING apple cider that had lots of different spices in it and it was yum yum yum. He served it warm :)

As far as alcoholic beverages go, we really weren't sure how much everyone would drink so we got I think 8 bottles of wine for 26 people (and we knew that a good 1/3 of them don't drink at all). We just went to a local wine shop and asked them for a nice mix of wines to serve. lol They asked what dinner was planned and then helped us pick a few. Included was a bottle of the stuff we like (that's so sweet no one else would drink it with dinner lol). We ended up taking a bottle back up to our cabin with us, so it wasn't even all gone. Oh and we had beer too - I think we bought about two cases worth of mixed beers so everyone had something they liked. Those ended up being consumed over the course of the whole weekend. lol

IMG_7120.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Jan 31, 2009 1:01 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

We had a top shelf open bar and a bottle of Champaign at every table.

We also served our signature drinks:
Mine was = Raspberry Martini
His was = Tequila Sunrise.

Or'derves = Teriyaki Meatballs, Egg Rolls, Orange Chicken, Crab Puffs, Fresh Shrimp, Salami, Assorted Cheeses, Assorted Olives, and Fresh Veggies.

Salads = Fresh Green Salad , Cesar Salad, and 4 different dressings

Soup = New England Clam Chowder, Beef Barley

Dinner = Prime Rib, Chicken Marsela, Chicken Fettucinni Alfredo, Vegitable Meadly, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Honey Rolls and Wheat Rolls.

Desert = Fresh Fruit and of course 3 tire Wedding Cake (white chocolate with raspberry filling)

So when people ask why we spent so much on our wedding it's because it wasn't just about us, we made it about our guests too. We wanted them to enjoy a meal and a wedding they would never forget. We have no true regrets on what we did for our special day. Sometimes we joke about having such a verity of food but oh well. Everyone enjoyed themsleves from begining to end (6.5 hours) and they are still talking about it. I think everyone should keep their guest in mind when planning their wedding. After all they are there to celebrate with you.

My honey bought me a NEW car for my Birthday!

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Feb 2, 2009 3:10 PM Go to message in response to: nanette927

I'm so excited about our food! We just tasted some yesterday! (I copied this from the website, I definitely didn't know this off the top of my head):

Cocktail Hour:
Maryland Crab Cakes with Remoulade
Bruschetta with Fontina Cheese, Tomatoes and Basil
Mushrooms Stuffed w/Bourin Cheese
Scallops wrapped in Bacon
Brie w/Almond and Pear Phyllo Purses
Mini Chicken Burritos
Harvest display w/cheese & crackers and fruit

Meal (we are doing stations):
Ceasar Salad
Bowtie Pasta with Artichoke Hearts, Sundried Tomatoes and Roasted Pine nuts in a Light Garlic Cream
Tomato and Spinach Striped Tortellini with a Wild Mushroom Ragout
Roast Turkey Breast with Cranberry Chutney
Wood Smoked Tenderloin of Beef in a Peppercorn Crust with Béarnaise Sauce
Scrod Francaise with Sundried Tomatoes and Capers

Dessert:
3-tier strawberry shortcake wedding cake

Drinks:
Premium open bar, Guiness, Sam Adams Spring, and Bud Light on tap

And I'm going to eat it all.

Cassiopeia Posts : 85 Registered: 1/1/09
Posted: Feb 2, 2009 5:25 PM Go to message in response to: Allisonweddingl...

Hi :)

Since my wedding is so far off, planning is in the begining stages. But I do know that there will be no alcohol. We are thinking of having a morning wedding, and a brunch reception. We want a "make your own waffle" station (Like they have at some hotels for breakfast), where there are hot belgian waffle irons set up, with batter, and people make their waffles fresh. Then there will be a variety of toppings for people to choose from. And we want a buffet of general breakfast foods for people to choose from as well, and a nice selection of pretty looking breakfasty pastries.

And yes, we'd have juice. Morning juices like orange juice :) But since we're planning for the winter, we'd have hot beverages like hot apple cider, coffee, and hot cocoa.

TiDaWinterBride Posts : 154 Registered: 10/10/08
Posted: Feb 2, 2009 5:34 PM Go to message in response to: Cassiopeia

We're not having a formal sit-down dinner, but a "midnight lunch" at about 10 - 10:30. It will consist of the following:

-hot beef or pork on a bun

-three salads: pasta, broccoli, and potato(maybe)

-assorted veggies and dip

-assorted cold cut meats

-assorted cheeses

-pickles & olives

Our dessert will just be the cupcakes we use as the wedding cake. We'll have a full bar, pop, juice, coffee, and tea. We're also debating whether or not to do a Hot Chocolate Bar - I'm gunning for it, FH isn't so sure.

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Feb 2, 2009 5:48 PM Go to message in response to: Cassiopeia

Steff = that sounds amazing

so yummy ! So how much did that run per person?

For us: first 50 people were $95pp and anything over that was $75pp. To me we got a deal, it was so worth it. We also had a butler for every table (9 tables total), 2 cocktail waitresses and 3 food attendants.
Cassiopeia = That sounds really good too. Brunch wedding- Personally I love breakfast foods way better than any other meal. I know morning and afternoon weddings save money too.

TiDaWinterBride = I never heard of a "midnight lunch"?

My honey bought me a NEW car for my Birthday!

TiDaWinterBride Posts : 154 Registered: 10/10/08
Posted: Feb 2, 2009 6:16 PM Go to message in response to: nanette927

Nanette - It seems like a lot of people here on the boards haven't heard of them. Where I'm from they are very common. Because we can't afford to do a formal dinner, we're having a later reception with the midnight lunch to feed our guests. And since we are preparing it ourselves, it'll save us quite a bit of money. After being on these boards for while, I realized that weddings seem to be completely different here. Where I'm from (Alberta, Canada) it's normal to have a early ceremony with a later reception, with 3 or 4 hours in between. Also, never in my life have I been to a wedding with an open bar - I'd never even heard of having an open bar until these threads. It's always been a cash bar here, varying in prices, but always a cash bar.

It's strange how some things are completely acceptable/normal in one area and not in another. I guess it is a big world afterall!

Edited by: TiDaWinterBride on Feb 2, 2009 6:17 PM

picturesofamemory Posts : 30 Registered: 10/2/08
Posted: Feb 2, 2009 7:12 PM Go to message in response to: TiDaWinterBride

I'm having a picnic theme so we're going to go all out with the Publix menu. Subs, shrimp cocktail, fruit, cheese, veggies, macaroni and potato salad, chicken fingers, deviled eggs, and probably a chocolate fountain. I think I might have mini cheesecakes as my groom's cake since he doesn't like chocolate. We're both a pretty relaxed couple and we don't want to spend some $5000 on catering. (Not with our budget, anyway...) I think with my silk flower and butterfly centerpieces which are bursting from a picnic basket and some gingham table clothes, it will be pretty nice. :D

(I'm pretty envious of everyone else's menu though! Oh, if I had the money for some extravagant catering... But my rehersal dinner is going to be at a fancy Italian restaurant. Cannoli tower anyone???)

KPM Posts : 577 Registered: 1/20/08
Posted: Feb 2, 2009 11:08 PM Go to message in response to: picturesofamemory

We are having Texas BBQ. The caterer we finally chose has been listed in Texas Monthly top 50 BBQ places twice. It was awesome!

BBQ brisket
BBQ chicken
Sausage
potatoe salad
green beans
all the toppings that go with BBQ - onion, sauce, jalapinos etc...

Also having cobbler peach and cherry for dessert rather than cake.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cheesecake in one hand, rum in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!

racegrrl720 Posts : 31 Registered: 4/13/08
Posted: Feb 3, 2009 9:50 AM Go to message in response to: KPM

We are thinking of roasting a whole pig underground. We haven't finalized that decision yet though.
We are having:
Sliced Smoked Pork Shoulder
BBQ Pulled Pork
probably some hot dogs and hamburgers for the kiddies
Potato Salad
Pasta Salad
Baked Beans
Cole Slaw
Chips/Dip
Soda/Tea/Water/Beer/Wine
Cake

RSS