Female Ushers....What do you think??

Online Users: 1,353 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

PinkHippo Posts : 53 Registered: 11/2/08
Female Ushers....What do you think??
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 6:55 PM

Ok, So I wanted to have a small bridal party which we are. I have two bridesmaids a friend and my cousin and my fiance has two groomsmen. We have one usher so far and another possible. THe one possible is my fiances cousin but he is in the army national guard and might have his activation month during our wedding. We won't know for sure about that until the last minute so we thought if we had three ushers and had to then cut down to two it would be ok. My FH wants to ask his sister. I am not sure how I feel about that. We are having a mostly non traditional wedding. Getting married outside but wearing tuxes and a traditional wedding dress. I thought her role could be more of handing out progarms, bubbles, and bottled water to guests. My FH wants her to seat guests, but I am not sure how that would work. I think the idea is cute...not sure what she should wear. Most likly a complemantry dress to the bridesmaid but in the same color as the ushers/groomsmen vests. Anyone using female ushers??? Anyone have any words of advice at all on the idea? Thank you!!!!!! You guys are alwasy very helpful!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Female Ushers....What do you think??
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 7:00 PM Go to message in response to: PinkHippo

Dear PH,

Your instincts are correct.

A female usher would wear a dress that compliments the rest of the wedding party, but not identical to the bridesmaids. She should "look" like an usher, without being a transvestite in a male's tux.

Go for it.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 7:24 PM Go to message in response to: PinkHippo

I totally agree with AOTB!

Also, take heart, I'm one of three groomswoman in my friend's wedding this summer. It's becoming MORE and MORE common (even though I know you're having her usher, not in the WP).

SweetLou32 Posts : 5 Registered: 9/30/08
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 7:59 PM Go to message in response to: PinkHippo

I think it's a good idea to have a female usher. I like having her wear a dress that's similar. Maybe depending on your color theme the bridesmaids have one color dress, and if you have two colors in your theme she could wear the other color. Especially since your wedding is not super traditional, I think it's great!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 8:24 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Ladies,

Newsflash: Brides have brothers. Grooms have sisters. People have opposite-sex friends.

No one should feel "weird" about involving these people in a wedding. The wedding party need not look like the bride comes from a large family of only girls and the groom from a large family of only boys.

CountryPrincess Posts : 673 Registered: 9/25/08
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 8:28 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

We're having 2 female ushers and one male usher. The male usher is wearing a black suit and the female ushers are wearing black cocktail type dresses. Its pretty common these days.

"I don't care how much it hurts. I don't care if its a brick wall disaster. I'd rather fight with you everday than be happy for one second with anyone else." <3

Kevin & Mari: 11/09/06 to Forever.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jan 29, 2009 12:44 AM Go to message in response to: PinkHippo

Um, isn't this the 21st century? We almost had a female president--certainly, I would think that a female can be an usher at a wedding!!

10042008Bride Posts : 82 Registered: 9/11/07
Posted: Jan 29, 2009 9:43 AM Go to message in response to: PinkHippo

We had a female usher and it worked out fine. She wore a black dress similar to the bridesmaids dresses. She did all the duties of the ushers and she did a wonderful job!

Stephorse Posts : 138 Registered: 1/31/08
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 6:43 PM Go to message in response to: PinkHippo

We're having a small wedding party as well, and I wanted to involve my cousin into the wedding, but didn't have room for her in the party, so I decided to have her be an usher. My bridesmaids are wearing hot pink dress and our colors are black, white, and hot pink. The groomsmen are wearing black vest with the fuschia ties so the usherette is wearing a black dress that has a hot pink tie in the middle and she will be walking guest up and down the isle. I think it's a good way to get another person involved in the wedding and it's something different. I hope this helps!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine