Crazy Fears

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 56

savex389 Posts : 506 Registered: 8/10/07
Re: Crazy Fears
Posted: Jan 12, 2009 3:26 PM Go to message in response to: marty08

I'm scared of lots of things, I'm just a big baby!
I hate haunted houses! I cant tell myself that it's not real, the last time I went to one I was 14 and I bawled before we even got inside!
I also don't do scary movies, after its all said and done I think that the monsters are all going to come and get me and I have terrible nightmares!
I have to have the closet closed too (I cant remember who said that!) ever seen the movie saw? the guy peeking out of the closet? I'm so convinced that that is going to happen to me.
Speaking of Saw, I now have to look into my backseat of my car before I get in, I'm pretty sure some guy is going to kill me from the back seat. i've even told myself how stupid it is to think that, he kills me while I'm driving he will most likely die too!
I am scared of the dark, even now when I have to go to my parents basement I run back upstairs all freaked out and out of breath because I KNOW someone was chasing me!
We have a huge fish tank and I love it, but I'm always so scared that a fish is going to jump out while I'm feeding them! I will not touch them! The flopping around give me the heebee jeebees! I'm scared of the flopping!

marty08 Posts : 1,110 Registered: 7/1/07
Posted: Jan 12, 2009 6:15 PM Go to message in response to: savex389

Savex...OMG!! Haunted houses...can't handle them!!
Last time I was in one(highschool)..my bf...LEFT ME!! FREAK'N LEFT ME IN THERE...COULDN'T FIND HER!! And then a werewolf came out of a cage and took my brownie... bloody werewolf!! and I couldn't see because they had one of those strobe lights going...I was sooo scared!!! (can't even breathe thinking about it). There was some scary sh*t in there!! oh, how embarrassing...they turned the lights on....because of me!!...had to walk me out..and then they(they...the poeple in town who had the haunted house..some gift store or something) scared the freak'n sh*t out of me with the chainsaw at the back door....The same chainsaw I saw them scaring people with because we parked on a back road.....the same one I told my friend..."ha!!...won't scare me...I know they are there!!"....My friend and everyone else around was laughing their @ss off at me!! My friend said everyone lost it when they heard me scream her name that a werewolf took my brownie and I couldn't find her...and to come get me...(they had brownies for sale out front)

I always look in the backseat when I get in the car if it's dark out....always!!

Life's not all beer and skittles, mate!

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 5:18 PM Go to message in response to: marty08

Ok--not that this is a crazy fear, because a lot of people suffer from it, but how do I get over my fear of flying?!? I'm set to take my first flight (Buffalo to Atlanta, Atlanta to Ontario, CA) on valentine's day and I'm scared shitless already! The dr won't give me anything either since I've been so sick. He's given me compazine so I shouldn't get "planesick" but I'm scared to death!! Any tips? We're already flying first-class, and sitting towards the front of the plane....

ecnusbau Posts : 12 Registered: 12/18/08
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 5:43 PM Go to message in response to: carebearny1999

what exactly about flying are you afraid of? Different people are afraid of flying for different reasons... for instance, I love flying but gaining altitude after take-off always gives me vertigo if I look out the window (even so, I look anyway because it's so fun to watch recognizable things get smaller and smaller until you can't tell what they are anymore).

ilovehim Posts : 179 Registered: 6/8/06
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 5:51 PM Go to message in response to: savex389

This is a great thread!!!

I have a freakish obsession with personal safety. I cannot have the door unlocked. I don't even realize I'm locking it, if DH and are outside and I go inside, even for a glass of water, I lock the door. If we are both coming in and I'm in first and the door shuts before he gets to it, I lock it. I have to double, triple check the doors at night. I think it came about after I read a book about serial killers, one guy choose his victims by going up to their doors and the ones that were unlocked got it.
I also have to look out of all the windows facing the front of the house and the peep hole to see who is out there before I go outside. I will not park next to a van or an SUV, someone might be in there waiting to grab me. I will not get into the car before I check the front and back seats. I do not open my blinds if I am alone, and even if DH is home I get freaked out and close them if I see anyone walking past.
I don't stop at red lights if I'm in the car alone at night, I DO NOT answer the door or even go see who it is if I am not expecting anyone. DH hates this, as he has missed several deliveries b/c I won't go see who is at the door. I have mace at the ready whenever I am walking to and from my car. I don't tell people where I live. Like in college a common question was "which apartments do you live in?" If those people weren't my friends and didn't HAVE to know, no way was I going to say.
Um, that's about all I can think of now....

Posted: Jan 28, 2009 6:29 PM Go to message in response to: ecnusbau

I dunno, the whole experience I guess. I've never flown, and I'm just terified to do it. I mean, something that big isn't supposed to fly in my eyes....

ecnusbau Posts : 12 Registered: 12/18/08
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 6:42 PM Go to message in response to: carebearny1999

Ha ha, I know what you mean. The best thing I can tell you about flying (and I'm sure you've heard it before) is that there simply isn't a safer way of travel. Yes, planes crash very rarely, but every plane crash is in the news, so it feels a lot more common. Imagine, however, if every car accident was in the news... those are so much more common than flying accidents that it's almost laughable that we aren't all terrified of driving to the grocery store.

On another note, does anyone else have to close the blinds at night because you're afraid some serial killer you can't see is outside in the dark watching you? That one really gets me...

Also, don't ever watch "I Survived" on the Biography channel... It will give you nightmares for weeks. On one episode, this girl was walking down the hall getting ready for bed after locking 3 deadbolts and some other sort of lock when a guy broke down her door and kidnapped her (and other horrible things that I won't subject freaked out members of this board to).

Last one: Cicadas. If anyone grew up in the mid-atlantic, you know what I'm talking about. They are disgusting, giant (2 or 3 inch long) fly-like bugs that don't do anything but fly around into things and make a lot of noise. But, every seventeen years, the cicadas resurface from the ground in massive quantities. Like the last time it happened was in 2004 and the news casters estimated there were 100,000 cicadas per square YARD! EEK!

If you are looking for a good way to ruin your day, google house centipeides. They are one of the most disgusting creatures I've ever seen, and they were infesting the last apartment I lived in.

Edited by: ecnusbau on Jan 28, 2009 6:50 PM

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 6:53 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Drains- hate 'em! They terrify me! Pool drains, bath tub drains, skin drains etc.... ugh! I hate to walk over sewer drains in the sidewalk!! I don't think I'm afraif of things coming out or necessarily being sucked down, I don't know what it is, but ugh! I hate them!!

"Come What May... "

bride4life Posts : 499 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 7:29 PM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

This thread seems to have moved from 'fears' to 'things we don't like' so I am posting about both.

Don't Like: *odd numbers...the TV volume has to be an even number
*my alarm clock always has to be an interval of 15 ie. 8:00-8:15-8:30-8:45-9:00
*I can not leave unheard voice/text messages on my phone. I have to be careful
when I look at my phone because if I see a voicemail I need to check it ASAP
I made that mistake today. I am a sub teacher and school was out at 2:35. I
checked my phone at 1:30 (don't know why no reason to) and I had 2 voicemails
and 2 texts. I couldn't check it then because I had 24 kindergarteners but it
made me uneasy for the rest of the day not knowing what they said.

Fears: I have a similar one to some else with the locking of doors. My doors are always
locked...home and car....Especially if I am in the shower...I can not take a shower if the
house door is unlocked...I have a fear that someone is going to come in and take me while
naked.
* I CAN NOT sleep unless my husband is home!!!! This really doesn't happen much any
more but several years ago he was on a dart league on monday nights and sometimes
they would stay around afterwards to play more and hang out. I usually went with him
but once in a while I was tired and did not want to be in a bar. I would stay home
knowing I would not sleep unless he was in the door. Thank God that my husband does
not go out much alone! We usually go together if we go anywhere.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 8:51 PM Go to message in response to: carebearny1999

Dear CB,

Lots of people have a fear of flying.

Here is how one professional pilot explained it to me. You can imagine a submarine or boat traveling through the water, right? Well, air is like water. It has mass. It has density. The airplane moves through the "ocean of air" like a submarine moves through water.

You know what it's like when you are driving in a car, and stick your hand out the window. You can really feel that "ocean of air" as you tilt your hand in different directions. You can make your arm go up or down depending on the angle of your hand. The same principle is at work in keeping an airplane aloft. The airplane is moving, however, much faster than your car and with much bigger engines and wing. Thus, the airplane has much greater loft.

I have a couple of other suggestions.

Go to the TSA website (www.tsa.gov) and read up on what to expect in the security screening. There's a lot of detail there, such as a requirement to take off your shoes and pass them through the X-ray machine. I wear easy slip-on, slip-off shoes and nice socks when I travel. They also discuss the "3-1-1" bag for carrying liquids, creams and gels on the plane. There are exceptions for larger volumes of medicine or infant formula. Read the website and get all the particulars.

When you get to the departure gate, confide in the gate agent that you are a nervous first-timer. The gate agents and flight attendants are trained to help people like you though their first flight. A simple "I have never flown before and am sort of frightened..." will do the trick.

If you have a friend who travels frequently, ask that person to give you a step-by-step description of what to expect from arrival at the departure airport to leaving the arrival airport.

I travel a lot; in fact I just reached the "million mile" mark with the airline frequent flyer program. In all those million miles, nothing bad has ever happened to me. Never. I might suffer from "Numbness Of The Butt", but nothing worse.

One final tip: If you are a religious person, look up some comforting Scripture and memorize it. Say those passages to yourself if you start to feel panicky. The Twenty-Third Psalm is good for starters. Non-religious people might look for any kind of calming prose to commit to memory.

Posted: Jan 28, 2009 9:01 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Thanks Aunt! I have bookmarked TSA's website and will check it out more when I'm not in wind-down mode. No sense in getting myself worked up before bedtime!
Luckily I will be flying with my DH who has flown lots of times. I have an mp3 player on it's way here, as well as several hand-held electronic games! I guess part of me is freaking out more because last year I had a blood clot in my leg and HADN'T been on a plane. So the Dr kinda freaked me out more when he heard we were going. So I've got my instructions to keep my legs moving (not a problem--I bounce my leg when I'm nervous!!) and stay hydrated.
My cousin's in the Air Force and he's told me so many times all the science and math that goes into making planes fly and while I get it, my brain just won't stop! So yes, I KNOW why they fly, I just can't make my brain accept it. Just like I don't understand cruise ships floating! (I know, I'm irrational!) But then again, it was just recently (and I'm 32!) that I can sleep without a nightlight on in the hall.... Mom said I was afraid of everything as a kid, perhaps that's my problem?!?
Thanks again everyone for the tips!

Franko Posts : 128 Registered: 11/15/08
Posted: Jan 29, 2009 7:40 AM Go to message in response to: carebearny1999

We all have our fears, what helped me was Sedona Method, the mind technique that you can find here on this site, somebody described a bit about sedona

Sedona Method
also try EFT, that is exactly made for tiny phobias that you have

EFT

I bought our rings @

Edited by: Franko on Jan 29, 2009 7:40 AM

WaterySylph Posts : 208 Registered: 3/5/07
Posted: Jan 29, 2009 1:26 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

I'm afraid of people in animal suits. Kinda like people being afraid of clowns. I know. Weird huh? Going to Disney Land when I was eleven was a bit odd. I'm also kinda freaked out by santas.

To love means to open ourselves to the negative as well as the positive - to grief, sorrow, and disappointment as well as to joy, fulfillment, and an intensity of consciousness we did not know was possible before." -- Rollo May

WaterySylph Posts : 208 Registered: 3/5/07
Posted: Jan 29, 2009 1:36 PM Go to message in response to: bride4life

Bride4life-
I'm the same way with everything being intervals of 15. And I also hate messages being left on my phone. That stupid envelope is just irksome! I always think, "well what if it's an emergency?" I know I do both of these because of my OCD, but I'm much better than I used to be.

To love means to open ourselves to the negative as well as the positive - to grief, sorrow, and disappointment as well as to joy, fulfillment, and an intensity of consciousness we did not know was possible before." -- Rollo May

bride4life Posts : 499 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jan 29, 2009 5:42 PM Go to message in response to: WaterySylph

That is my thought exactly (about the messages) "What if it IS an emergency?"

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine