pets for the wedding?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 24

Kickadeepi Posts : 18 Registered: 4/20/08
Re: pets for the wedding?
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 11:44 AM Go to message in response to: weddedbliss09

Yeah I'm thinking of going for it. After all I was just mainly worried about him snoring in church ( he falls asleep where ever we go! lol). I just was wondering if any one had any experiances with their dogs in their weddings and how did it go?

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 2:44 PM Go to message in response to: Kickadeepi

Yay! Someone else here has a English Mastiff. We have a 4 month old English Mastiff puppy.

Are you open to answering couple questions about Mastiffs in general?

If your dog is laid back and calm as Mastiffs normally are, I dont see a problem with it. That would be so cute!

Just watch out for the drool. You wouldnt want that on your dress or FH's tux.

Just Married...9.20.08

Formerly BenjaminsBride 

mrsJLA Posts : 445 Registered: 5/25/08
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 3:10 PM Go to message in response to: Kickadeepi

As long as the church doesnt have an issue with the dog - go for it. I know that it would not fly in my church, and my wedding planner refused to even consider it when we JOKED about it. (My dog was in no way wedding-material.) I think the planner had the experience from hell from the look at her face, so we didnt bring it up again. You sound like you got everything covered as far as training and temperment goes (which your doggie seems ideal in this role) so good luck!

Jaime Kiss

camarogirl6784 Posts : 8 Registered: 1/12/09
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 4:35 PM Go to message in response to: mrsJLA

I would have a crate and treats handy at all times, so you just got to plan the transport of a very large crate (and a mass amount of treats?). Maybe do a few rehersals with him to get him used to the motions? I just did positive training class with my pup, so you could just "train" him to do what you want for the wedding.

I played with the idea of having my australian shepherd in the wedding, but since its in a church im thinking no. Have to do a photoshoot with him though.

kowgirlbride Posts : 52 Registered: 3/30/08
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 1:23 AM Go to message in response to: camarogirl6784

My husband and I are both animal lovers and that played a big factor in our wedding. I hardly go anywhere without my 5 lb Yorkshire Terrier, Pedro. If he's not with me people ask where he is. It was very important to me that he be included in our wedding. He was the ring bearer. He was a complete hit with the guests, carried the actual rings, and even walked down the aisle by himself. Lots of people questioned my decision, but I know my dog, and never had any doubts. I definately don't regret my decision!! My husband has a 100lb Chocolate Lab. Even though we both love her, we knew we couldn't include her in the wedding since she can't sit still for 3 seconds!!! We did include her in the engagment photos, though.

Our wedding was outside at a farm (which I used to work at and Pedro had been too many times). I also rode in on my horse with my dad and my husband and I rode out on the horses. So, my wedding was very animal friendly. I don't think any of my guests were uncomfortable with the dog or the horses. I did spread the word ahead of time and not one person was surprised that the horses and the dog would be present!!! I think they would have been disappointed had they not been! My SIL handled Pedro before the wedding and then he followed me around pretty much the rest of the night and napped on the train of my dress. He also had food, water, and his travel bag in the tack room for "alone" time.

I think a lot of good suggestions have been brought up. Spread the word and get some feelers for what people think about it. Is your wedding 30 people or 300 people? Inside or outside? I think that might influence your decision. Training with distractions is also important. Will your dog be comfortable among people or will it stress him out? You'll know whats best for you, your dog and your guests. I say go for it (at the very least use him in pics!)!!!!

DSCF1486.jpg Another fab view!! picture by kowgirl_17
You can see Pedro sticking his head out of his bag!

Bonnie & Cory  August 2nd, 2008

Kickadeepi Posts : 18 Registered: 4/20/08
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 2:28 AM Go to message in response to: BenjaminsWife

I know I will be including him for sure in the wedding.

And yes I can answer your mastiff questions and just dogs in general! I live, laugh, and love dogs! Feel free to message me, I love to talk dog!

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Mar 1, 2009 2:48 AM Go to message in response to: Kickadeepi

I see this topic is kinda older, but I had to reply because I'm having my dogs in the wedding! If your dog is well trained, and I can assume he is if he's going for the CGC (Good luck BTW!!!) and will behave, then I really don't see a problem with it. If people are afraid of your dog for any reason you can have them seated away from the isle where they won't be close to your dog. It's your big day, do what's most important to you! I couldn't imagine NOT having my dogs at my wedding. They are my babies! We will be having a handler for them, and they are only going to be there for the ceremony and pictures, not the reception because I don't want anything to happen to them. We went to check out a reception place last night and the lady actually told me more and more people are wanting their dogs at their weddings now.

SweetSunset Posts : 159 Registered: 1/15/09
Posted: Mar 1, 2009 10:29 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

We are having our 3 dogs in the wedding also. 2 are on the smaller size(cavalier king charles spaniels) but we have an american bulldog that is 90lbs. We are having someone watch the dogs all day. All 3 of them are mellow dogs, but we are telling our guests ahead of time that they will be there...though most of the guests know our 3 dogs anyway and love them. Its an outside wedding and reception so they are going to have a great time as well! I think including your furbaby is a great idea!

Ginnetti Posts : 1 Registered: 2/19/09
Posted: Mar 8, 2009 3:34 PM Go to message in response to: SweetSunset

I deffinitely want to have my dog in my wedding. What roles are you having your dogs do? I am having my little cousin be my ring bearer, and my other little cousin be the flower girl. I couldn't imagine not including her on our special day. Shes like my daughter! She will be 5 in May. Shes a pomeranian/bichon mix, so shes not too big - only about 25 pounds.

SweetSunset Posts : 159 Registered: 1/15/09
Posted: Mar 8, 2009 4:02 PM Go to message in response to: Ginnetti

Pomeranians are soo cute! They look like fluffy foxes!
I'm having one of my small dogs carry the ring pillow. We're making a type of saddle for him with a pillow on top. And seeing as we don't have any little girls on either side of our families, we are going to have my other smaller dog carry a flower ball in her mouth to act as the flower girl. I'm in the process of training them now. Its a slow one so having patience is the key. My american bulldog is just going to stand to the side. We don't think he's going to be walking down the aisle. He can be alittle intimidating.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine