Music Question

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15

TheFutureMrsL Posts : 59 Registered: 10/14/08
Music Question
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 1:50 PM

Have any of you walked down the aisle to something other then "here comes the bride" and if so did it go over well? Just curious because I've been thinking about going down to a different song I'm just worried that because it isn't a popular song no one will know it and find it odd.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Music Question
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 1:57 PM Go to message in response to: TheFutureMrsL

Dear Mrs L,

Lots of people eschew the traditional Lohengrin ("Here comes the bride...") piece for other music. I came in to Noel Paul Stookey's "Wedding Song" when I got married in 1976. Last year, I was at a wedding where Beethoven's "Ode To Joy" was played.

It's totally OK to pick something else, so long as it is apppropriate for a wedding. Go for it.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 2:03 PM Go to message in response to: TheFutureMrsL

I walked into an original composition of our organist. No one thought anything of it.

It was a gorgeous song, but I don't remember that part that much.

LOL

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 2:04 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

I walked down the aisle to a really pretty piece of Celtic music that features bagpipes as a nod to the Scottish in me. :) It was super pretty and no one thought it odd. Coincedentally, I then walked back up the aisle (husband in arm) to "I'm a Believer" by Smash Mouth. hehe I think that the songs are a great way to personalize your service. Are you having a church wedding though? I hear those can get complicated.

IMG_7120.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 2:17 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

No church wedding for me. My FH won't allow it. I'm still not completely sure where I am getting married being that the FH thinks I'm planning to early and won't answer any questions. So now I just don't ask him :)

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 2:28 PM Go to message in response to: TheFutureMrsL

We are using "Come What May" from Moulin Rouge as my entry song. We're also going to pre-record us singing it (we might end up letting Ewan and Nicole take it after we listen to our version. They did a very good job).... but I have always wanted to sing at my own wedding.

Unfortunately, FH has a barely passable voice. That he is willing to sing a duet with me when he doesn't is both a mark of his bravery and his love for me -- I'd have a hard time getting up and singing in such a public place if I my voice was not passable. So IF we do not use our song, I will be criticizing the heck out of MY performance. I'm not about to tell him that its him. (And I'd cancel it for his sake -- just not tell him. Trust me, he's got no delusions of going on American Idol <G>) We'll see how our version goes, and I'm hoping it will sound beautiful. If it is passing acceptable, we're going for it though -- I think that our guests will think it is more special if it is us.

Incidentally, FH wants a big entrance too <G>... so he and his groomsmen are marching in to some bagpipes (he's wearing a kilt...seems fitting)

We are leaving to "Give Me A Happy Ending" (from The Pirate Movie with Kristy McNichol and Christoper Atkins... 80s movie) I'm not telling my mother and she is going to roll her eyes. Most people will not recognize it. My mom will....I only rented that movie 30 times the year it came out on VHS. FH and I both have a copy in our library (our libraries are SERIOUSLY overlapped... it's ridiculous!)

Misty

wedding countdown

Visit our Wedding Website

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 2:44 PM Go to message in response to: TheFutureMrsL

Oh no, I absolutely refused to use 'Here Comes the Bride.' It's overused, and it's not even a good piece of music. Nope, I was determined to find something else.

I used an original piece by my organist - it was a light and airy piece, very appropriate for me. My BMs walked in to Pachebel's Canon in D, which is another popular wedding piece and a good alternative to 'Here Comes the Bride.' Our recessional piece was Beethovan's Ode to Joy, which was the same piece my parents used at their wedding.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

BreAnn Posts : 600 Registered: 11/28/07
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 3:58 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

I walked down the aisle to a friend of mine playing piano, while another friend sang "My Little Girl" (by Tim McGraw) Everyone loved it, and it left most people crying!

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 5:37 PM Go to message in response to: BreAnn

this is the closest to what I want
My FH cousin is a wonderful singer and I want him to play one of my favorite songs that he's written but I just dont know if it'll fit for a wedding.

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 7:03 PM Go to message in response to: TheFutureMrsL

I also didn't want "Here Comes the Bride." Since we're both musicians, we wanted to use something a little more unique. I wrote my own arrangement of "Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral." (You can look it up on youtube). It's from the same opera as HCTB, but it has special meaning to me and my family. There is a very well known concert band arrangement, which is one of my dad's favorite pieces. Anyway, people LOVED it, though we had a very musically-educated audience who understood the connection with the music.

racegrrl720 Posts : 31 Registered: 4/13/08
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 8:36 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

Nala, that's funny, because we're using I'm a Believer for our Recessional too! LOL I'm walking down the aisle to a cover of the Paul McCartney song "Maybe I'm Amazed", sung by Jem.

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 9:40 PM Go to message in response to: racegrrl720

We used Teena Marie's God Created. It seemed to fit us.

Kenny and Me Perfect Together, 10 years and counting.

Sucks to be you, so glad I'm me

brix24 Posts : 165 Registered: 8/3/08
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 1:50 AM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

People have great ideas! We have a sister of a friend who is a professional opera singer. We are thinking of having her sing Ave Maria, the building the ceremony is in will suit it. Havent thought too much about what to play when we walk out but I do like -'somewhere over the rainbow' by Isreal IZ and 'here comes the sun' especially sung by Nina Simone.

My cousin walked back up the aisle with her new husband to guns n roses. Wasn't what I would choose - but I guess anything goes!

BTW OP - we are getting married on the same day!

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 7:01 AM Go to message in response to: brix24

Songs like Here Comes the Bride are only mere suggestions and tradition. I think using your own music is one of the best ways to set the tone for your ceremony and totally personalize it. So definately use whatever feels right to you. In our case, my dad is a huuuuge Elvis fan and so the processional was Cant Help Falling In Love, and then dad walked me in to Elvis on Cd doing "The Hawaiian WeddingSong." The lyrics are all about getting married so it was perfect.

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

TigerBride515 Posts : 482 Registered: 10/15/08
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 3:50 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I am walking in to a Chris Cornell cover of Led Zepplin's Thank You and we are walking out to Everlong by Foofighters

preview photopreview image

preview image

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine