Davids Bridal?

Online Users: 1,336 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 28

mainstdancer08 Posts : 140 Registered: 3/27/08
Davids Bridal?
Posted: Jan 23, 2009 8:11 PM

Anyone have problems or great experiences at davids bridal? I am thinking of getting my dress from them.

"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb"

When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

byebye Posts : 37 Registered: 7/30/08
Re: Davids Bridal?
Posted: Jan 23, 2009 9:12 PM Go to message in response to: mainstdancer08

I've had only good experiences with them. Although i haven't actually got my dress yet, I went there and tried on alot of dresses and then ordered a couple of the online ones. They have quick shipping and easy returns (see previous post about DB). I may still buy my favorite one from there(a galina one) from the store if I haven't found one I like better in a few months. So I would recommend going there.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Jan 24, 2009 8:55 AM Go to message in response to: mainstdancer08

I bought my dress there and they were really great. Everyone was very nice, and very knowledgeable. I tried on.... 3 dresses one day and 4 another.

I had a friend who went 2nd week in July for an AUGUST wedding....and they were determined to find her a dress she loved (she hates going clothes shopping). She tried on about 8 dresses. Everytime she said "I like this, but not that". While one person was helping her get out of one dress (it was corseted), her sales person went out on the floor and brought back about 6 or 7 more dresses, based on what she liked. We saw "the one" on the hanger as it walked past and all went "That's it". Donna didn't put it on her right away - - she might have known it, but she wanted my friend to really be sure. And she did keep with the "this has _ like the other dress, which I like,....but something about ____ I don't" and finally she put on the "one". We knew it was it as soon as she walked out wearing it, and my friend knew it the moment she saw it in the mirror.

After realizing that my friend had NO time for alterations, they only brought her the corseted ones (the wedding was less than a week off). And all they brought her fit beautifully -- it was just finding the one that made her feel like she was beautiful. They were patient AND determined to find her dress.

Most people do not do this, and my friend had not either -- her wedding was pushed up four months because her now husband is reservist, and had gotten orders. So, instead of at Christmas break (lots of family with kids out of town), she had to do it during Summer Break.

Misty

wedding countdown

Visit our Wedding Website

SoonetobeMrsA Posts : 31 Registered: 12/27/07
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 11:11 AM Go to message in response to: mainstdancer08

I got my dress from the DB in Nashua (although I live in Mass, I had reason to go north for a DB). Now, I went the first Saturday in December, and I knew what dress I really wanted to try on. The woman who helped me was also helping four or five other brides at the same time. For me, it wasn't too much of an issue (except when she gave me the...bra thing to put on, and for the love of crap, I could not get it on by myself, so I refused to wear it and stuck with my own strapless). She helped me into my dress and basically left me alone for 10-15 minutes. Which was great, as I loved the dress, and liked walking around in it.
It wasn't a great shopping experience, and what made it easy was that I knew what dress I wanted on my way in.
Oh! Don't be fooled by the sale either! The dress I got was originally 700, and they had signs everywhere saying "Up to 300 off on all gowns". Yeah, only 50 got knocked off of mine. Which is fine, but prospective shoppers should be aware.
One great thing is that my dress came in in 5 weeks (should have been 6-12). I picked it up recently, and I've decided that since things at that particular store are nutty, I'll go elsewhere for alterations and for the bustle and such.

My advice is to know exactly which gowns you want to try on, and tell the woman who is helping you the exact numbers- it makes it go so much easier and faster.

MoreThanExpected Posts : 158 Registered: 2/13/07
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 11:43 AM Go to message in response to: mainstdancer08

I also got my dress from DB and had excellent service, I loved the first dress I tried on, but to be sure tried on about 7 more, they told me to go home and think about it. I went back 3 days later and ordered it, then the dress came in about 3 weeks later which was MUCH sooner than I'd expected it to.

“Marriage is an expression of love and respect and trust and faith in the future, but the union of husband and wife is also an alliance against the challenges and tradgedies of life a promise that with me in your corner, you will never stand alone.”

-Dean Koontz,from the corner of his eye 

NewMrsVelino Posts : 144 Registered: 6/9/08
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 2:12 PM Go to message in response to: MoreThanExpected

I went to DB on Friday of last week to start my dress shopping. I have to tell you, they were all so very helpful. My consultant was thee best and was very patient with me. I think I tried on about 10 dresses, none of which I really liked all that much. My mom asked my consultant while I was in the dressing room to bring a certain dress she was looking @ the whole time cuz she wanted me to try it on. The consultant asked me if I wanted to try it on and I said "ok, I'll do it for my mom" but to be honest with you, I did not like the dress at all on the manequin. Well it ended up being the one!! I knew it as soon as I saw myself in it! I bought a veil and a headband while I was there as well, and the headband ended up being discontinued, so they let me purchase the one from the store. Unfortunately they didnt' give me any kind of deal (besides the 10% off that I was already getting) which was kind of lame. Anyways, I left the store and 10 minutes later they were calling me because they forgot to give me the headband and the coupon books and everything else they give you for purchasing a dress. This store was about an hour away from me so they were going to ship everything to me, but I was still down the road getting lunch so I just went back for everything. Overall I had a great experience shopping there!

I would suggest going during the week if you can and try scheduling the appointment for right away when they open up in the morning if you want them to have their full attention on you.

ladylayne21 Posts : 3 Registered: 10/28/08
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 4:50 PM Go to message in response to: mainstdancer08

David's Bridal was the first place I went to try on dresses and yes, they are nice, but I feel that they are waaaaaay too pushy and rushed me to try on dresses that I did not want to. Also, after my visit there, I recieved a phone call EVERYDAY from them wanting to know how my experience was and when I would like to come back. I answered the first time and gave them my thoughts, but I do not understand why they have to keep on calling. Now, thank goodness, they have stopped calling!!!!

I went to a smaller, local wedding dress shop and had a wonderful, relaxing experience! David's was just too commercial for me... and, after trying on dresses at other stores, their fabric quality isn't as good.

As for BM dresses, I think David's is a great place to go!!! I have been in 2 wedding where the dress was from there and had no problems going to order and getting it shipped!

princessbride2010 Posts : 58 Registered: 10/20/08
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 6:37 PM Go to message in response to: mainstdancer08

I bought my dress from David's bridal and loved it! They were extremely polite and knowledgeable. I haven't gone back to get alterations done (my wedding is over a year away), but I hear that it is fairly expensive to do them there.

When you buy your dress they outfit you with the majority of your undergarments and give you a certain percentage discount (as far as my experience goes). They also have a selection of veils and headpieces but they're pretty expensive, so unless your wedding is only a few weeks away I would really recommend browsing around before buying something from David's.

Other than the above concerns I have no doubts that you will have a good experience if you go and try on dresses there. Good luck selecting your dress!

www.sites.google.com/jandj2010

http://princessbride2010.brides.com

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 7:51 PM Go to message in response to: ladylayne21

I'm with LADYLANE21: they were the first place i went to!
1. great prices
2. decent dresses
3. quick shipping
BUT when I got there (I had an appoinment) I couldn't get anyone to help me. i picked out my own dresses. went to the dressing room. i had a consultant stop and ask if I was okay i said I could use some help and waited for about 10 minutes and still no one came. I got dressed walked to the front and asked if I could please have some help and that my appoinment was almost an hour ago. I was told to reschedule! WTF!

Needles to say, I did NOT buy my dress from them. I ended up buying my dress from Demetrio's designer dress down the street

My honey bought me a NEW car for my Birthday! 

BreAnn Posts : 600 Registered: 11/28/07
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 9:39 PM Go to message in response to: nanette927

I went to DB to get my dress, they were the only place I went to. I have a family member who works there (however, she did not do my consultation) and her suggestion to me was if it is at all possible, make your appointment for a WEEKDAY MORNING. Far fewer people in the store, and you will get more personalized attention.
Now, back to my visit. My consultant was great! She helped me carry the dress, get in/out of them with the exception of about 2. Brought me veils and tiaras to try on and everything. It was great! I had a very early appointment on a Saturday, and when they started to get busy is when my mother and MIL helped me to put on a few dresses.

Sidenote To those of you who had to pick out your own dresses and carry them to your room. I would call their corporate and let them know. According to my consultant and my cousin who works there. That is not supposed to happen. It is a risk to them that someone not used to carrying such big/heavy/long dress will trip on them and either hurt themselves or tear up the dress or both.

Posted: Jan 30, 2009 10:34 PM Go to message in response to: princessbride2010

A note on the expensiveness of veils: The basic plain veil at David's is $50 (you can get them there for less... but it REALLY shows). They are better quality than Michael's.

The embellished ones run a lot higher. The one I liked was $200. RIDICULOUS (I thought... note, I said "THOUGHT")

I bought the plain and I bought some swarovski pearls. And I sewed them around the edge (three pearls in a triangle about every inch and a half). It took me almost 12 hours. Suddenly the $150 more for the embellished veil made a lot more sense. I do not have the extra money for it -- but there is a valid reason for the increase in price -- veils are very labor intensive creations. THey are also fragile. I ripped mine (yes, I was thinking "shit shit shit shit shit shit" because a. I'd finished about 60% of the edging at that time and b. I might have to buy another blasted veil and start over), but was able to fix it. Even I can't find the tear when LOOKING for it. No one's going to accidentally see it. (<phew!>)

(My veil may not be done -- I finished the edging and am going to try it on with my dress before I do any more. I am toying with sewing single pearls scattered about the inside too.... however, if I'm going to err...I'd rather err on the side of simplicity. And my veil is GORGEOUS!!)

Misty

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 11:02 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Misty - I want pictures!! It sounds like a beautiful design you've put on it! Could you capture it in a photo? I wanan see!! :D

IMG_7120.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

Cassiopeia Posts : 85 Registered: 1/1/09
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 11:02 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Cat:
I know what you mean about the labor-intensiveness of veils. I have made several, from scratch (As in not from a plain veil, from tulle, and a hair comb) I made a three-tied fingertip length veil for my cousin, embellished with pearls. My best friend is marrying and doesn't want a veil, so I intend to make her a hair piece. I make garters too, but those are pretty quick and kind of fun. :) Usually when a friend gets engaged, I make a garter and a veil for her as a gift.

Posted: Jan 31, 2009 9:53 AM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

We're going to pick up my dress today, and I'll get a picture of it then. The veil is getting it's test of whether it can handle more (though I used swarovski pearls, which have their lead crystal centers -- and it has added some serious weight already)

I want to see yours too! I know you did your own embellishment.

Misty

Posted: Jan 31, 2009 9:54 AM Go to message in response to: Cassiopeia

Cass... that is a REALLY nice gift. Your friends are very lucky!

Misty

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine