Zumba?

Online Users: 1,361 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

CountryPrincess Posts : 673 Registered: 9/25/08
Zumba?
Posted: Jan 23, 2009 8:12 PM

FH & I can't afford a gym membership but I got an email today saying that our college is offering free zumba classes. I've heard a little bit about it and it sounds like a lot of fun. But I was just wondering if any of you ladies had tried zumba and what your input was on it. Any tips, suggestions, etc... are also helpful!

"I don't care how much it hurts. I don't care if its a brick wall disaster. I'd rather fight with you everday than be happy for one second with anyone else." <3

Kevin & Mari: 11/09/06 to Forever.

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Re: Zumba?
Posted: Jan 23, 2009 8:16 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

Take the class!!!! Seriously! It is so much fun! I have a membership at 24 hour fitness and some locations have a zumba class. It is amazing! They say it burns more calories then running on the treadmill. I don't know if I believe that, but it really is an awesome workout!

www.mywedding.com/samanthaandpatrick/

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 8:18 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Thanks! What kind of results did you see? I'm trying to lose about 5 pounds around my middle and tone up my arms & legs. I just want to make sure I do an exercise that can do that for me.

"I don't care how much it hurts. I don't care if its a brick wall disaster. I'd rather fight with you everday than be happy for one second with anyone else." <3

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 8:23 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

Because I did the class at the gym, I was only able to go occassionally, so I didn't get the full benefits of the class. But You will definitely tone the tummy and legs. You may need to do weights for the arms. It is a dancing class. We did few things with our arms. But it is an around the world dance class, so you do dances from different countries. Belly dancing, salsa all kinds of different things. I highly recommend it! I wish I could sign up and take a zumba class everyday.

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 8:46 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Thanks :) Do you think men can do the class too? I saw videos of it on youtube and there were both men and women. But the more I read about the more it seems aimed towards women. FH thinks it sounds like fun and wants to do it too.

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 9:00 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

There were no men in the classes I took, but I don't see why not. He wil probably be the only guy in there though. So it just depends on how comfortable he is with that.

LilTuffGirl Posts : 301 Registered: 11/4/08
Posted: Jan 24, 2009 9:06 AM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

I don't know anything about Zumba but if you have a YMCA around you students rates are just $25 a month. With a joiners fee... which the first month total for me was like $68. Not too shabby. Although you do have to be unders 26 years old.

http://www.ezticker.com/ticker/1642/214/20090829/our+wedding/ticker.png

True love never lives happily ever after - true love has no ending

jessicamarie2010 Posts : 10 Registered: 1/23/09
Posted: Jan 24, 2009 4:50 PM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

I just recently became a member at Sport and Health, and they offer the Zumba class and I've heard so many good things about it. I will definitely test it out soon and get back with y'all.

TBD.

ChrissLady Posts : 1,352 Registered: 4/5/06
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 10:07 AM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

I agree, Take the class!!! My gym offers Zumba classes twice a week, Wednesday and Thursday. I typically go both nights, and if we have a class on Saturday I go then also. I have been taken the class since August/September. You will see definition, but it won't be much if you don't adjust your eating habits. That has been part of my problem. My friends in the class say they see a difference, but I don't. It's the highlight of my week, so even if it isn't helping me lose weight at least I'm having fun maintaining.

They have a website, I think it's www.zumba.com. You should check it out.

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Feb 3, 2009 5:34 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

It's a fun class; I giggle through most of it because I'm not a natural dancer but that just makes it more entertaining. I've seen a few guys there and they seem comfortable with it (and none of the girls care if there are guys or not) but I think it's more popular with women because of all the hip shaking. ;)

Elbelle77 Posts : 222 Registered: 1/24/08
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 10:39 AM Go to message in response to: Rose217

I can't believe I didn't see this thread before! I LOVE Zumba. I've been taking classes twice a week for a year now and it's so much fun. I wasn't really looking to lose weight, I just wanted to get in shape and tone up a bit. I ended up losing 10lbs and am pretty toned. I definitely notice a big difference in my arms and shoulders. Which is what everyone will see on your wedding day. I don't know about other zumba classes, but we do a lot with our arms and now they're starting "Zumba Toning" which is zumba with small weights. I strongly suggest you look into this class if you haven't already. I will say that the instructor makes a difference. We had a substitute one day and it wasn't nearly as much fun or as good as a workout as usual.

Good luck!

TheNewMrsJ Posts : 754 Registered: 1/6/08
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 11:57 AM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

i watched an informercial for it late one night when nothing else was on tv and found the DVD box set of all 4 discs on Ebay for roughly $20, so it was a steal compared to the price on the commercial/website.

I tried it for like a day and haven't touched it since. the floor exercises on disc 3 are really good - i could feel the burn - but i just couldn't get all the dance moves when they stepped it up a notch towards the end.

i think a class could be fun, as im sure they'll be a lot more thorough, but the dvds... unless you dont mind working out with fitness videos (to me watching the same thing daily gets old - we think i have minor adult add, lol...) i wouldn't recommend em! I just don't have the time to devote to it and a gym membership would be pretty useless for me, even though i love treadmills... i do still play DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) with the pad though and have 3 discs of songs to choose from, so I tend to play that when I get a chance - I like being able to switch up the songs on it.

Friends since December 1997
Together since December 2006

September 13, 2008
Legally, I became his and he became mine.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine