best way to use sand in centerpieces?? ideas please!!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

grrrimabearrr Posts : 2 Registered: 1/20/09
best way to use sand in centerpieces?? ideas please!!
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 7:22 PM

Hi ladies!

Ok so my wedding is going to be this summer and one of the only requests my FH has is that we somehow incorporate sand from the desert that we go to all the time, in our centerpieces. I am fine with this but I have NOOOO idea how to do this!! I need some help! I ws kind of thinking about sand in fishbowls maybe and then maybe sea shells on top or something...but its not really a beach theamed wedding! ...ahhh.. our colors are going to be dark red and black if that helps. Originally, before the sand thing, I was thinking about doing some sort of glass bowl with floating candles or something but now I dont think I should do water at all because of the sand. Anyways...anyone who has any ideas please do share!! I am pretty much open to anything...the only thing is that I really dont want centerpieces that are too tall!
Thanks in advance!

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Re: best way to use sand in centerpieces?? ideas please!!
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 8:08 PM Go to message in response to: grrrimabearrr

beach centerpieces

I like the one at the very bottom in the middle...with the sand in the middle and then a nice big candle...not too beachy

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 9:18 PM Go to message in response to: grrrimabearrr

My FH also wanted sand from St Pete Beach used in our centerpieces. What I did was put the sand in the base of the votive candle holders. It's just a nice touch little touch that only the two of us know about. Plus all the shells on the table we collected. I know you aren't doing a beach them so the sand with red tea lights sitting on top would be really cute in the base of votive candle holders.

ever thine          ever mine          ever ours

Check out our site http://www.mywedding.com/robertandginger

BreAnn Posts : 600 Registered: 11/28/07
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 10:20 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

How about taking tall straight vases (like squares, or cylinders, or whatever but no curves going up). Buy red and black glass rocks and layer them. A layer of sand, a layer or red rocks, a layer of sand, a layer of black rocks, varying the thickness of the layers and the patterns in each vase. To keep the sand from getting into the layers of rocks you could use a hard clear plastic cut out to the size of the vase and put them between layers, I don't know if that makes sense, but it looks really pretty in my head!

grrrimabearrr Posts : 2 Registered: 1/20/09
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 12:18 PM Go to message in response to: grrrimabearrr

Thanks for all the ideas so far and the pictures!!! Those are some great things for me to think about and talk to FH about!! If anyone has more ...keep them coming!

MasterFlorist Posts : 222 Registered: 11/30/07
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 12:37 AM Go to message in response to: grrrimabearrr

Here's an idea..

Small square or cylinder vases.. about 4-5" tall
Foam Oasis
Sand
Green Sheet Moss
Flowers of your choice

Cover only the bottom with sand and place a piece of moss on top(will help absorb the moisture from the foam)..Place a piece of oasis that has been cut to fit on top of the moss so that there is about a finger width space all around the foam between the vase and the foam.. still with me?

Fill the space with sand, inserting some pieces up agaist the side of glass and continuing to fill. Only leave the top of the oasis showing..Now insert flowers as you wish..The result is a centerpiece that incorporates the sand without screaming "Beach".

Another alternative to the foam is to place a vase within a vase and fill the inner vase with water and flowers. The spaces in between the two vases can be filled with sand.

I hope that helps!

Visit my website

kwidener21 Posts : 98 Registered: 1/26/09
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 11:15 PM Go to message in response to: grrrimabearrr

I know that this isnt a centerpiece, but it might work. Me and DF are getting married on the beach and not many people are going to be there so we are getting small bottles with corks (like 50 for like 20 bucks) and putting the sand in there so each of them can have a piece of our wedding! This is going to be our "favor"... Just a though.

mrsJLA Posts : 445 Registered: 5/25/08
Posted: Jan 27, 2009 12:13 AM Go to message in response to: kwidener21

What about a thin layer of white sand on the bottom of square vases (thinking IKEA here - the 6 inch tall glass variety) with a scattered layer of white pebbles (or natural pebbles) on the top of the sand and then red or "black" rose petals (even fake work well) filled to about a inch below the top of the vase. Or even just fine pebbles with some petals or a whole red rose top. Think desert rose.... You could even do some cool branches with sand in the bottom and hang some votives/tea lights from the branches. I suggest varying the heights of the centerpieces - use a few taller ones sporadically around the room to give the illusion of openness and fullness in the space. There are lots of cool things you can do for relatively low cost when you just play around with ideas.

Jaime

Wedding Pictures & Furbabies:

http:\\web.me.com\me182a

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Jan 27, 2009 8:41 PM Go to message in response to: mrsJLA

I found these that kinda looked desert-y to me as opposed to beachy

http://www.sincerityweddings.com/images/unity-candles-holders/sand-candle_LG.jpg
You could incorporate yoru colours by wrapping a ribbon around the glass vase that has your colours.

The only other thing I could think of was to use it as the base for a candle display like this one:

http://shamrockaffiliations.ws/images/long_candle_centerpiece_LRG.JPG
... where you use sand instead of those white rocks.

That's a toughie! All the centerpieces you find that incorporate sand want to make it like beachy. hehe

IMG_7120.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

Posted: Jan 27, 2009 8:48 PM Go to message in response to: grrrimabearrr

http://www.squidoo.com/wedding-reception-centerpieces

This site has a little video with something like I said before in it... the sand in the vase but with a candle on top of a mirror/flat dish with a red flower resting against the vase.... And the vases seem to be inscribed with some wording - maybe a poem or the names and date of the B&G?

Jaime

Posted: Jan 27, 2009 11:11 PM Go to message in response to: grrrimabearrr

Here are a few more cool ideas - just replace the pebbles/other fillers with sand in your imagination!

Jaime

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine