When to Cut the Cake???

Online Users: 1,312 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 9

NewMrsVelino Posts : 144 Registered: 6/9/08
When to Cut the Cake???
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 4:42 PM

Ok, so I went to a wedding this past summer and after the first dance, the couple cut their cake. They had the cake pulled out onto the dance floor and cut it right there. I was really surprised by this and had never seen or heard of it before, but apparently it's pretty popular now? I was told the reason they did it then is because usually no one ever sees the cake being cut at a wedding, especially if no one announces it's being cut. I guess my question to everyone is .. when did you or when are you planning to cut your cake?

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Re: When to Cut the Cake???
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 5:04 PM Go to message in response to: NewMrsVelino

Hi. Yes Ive seen this as well, cutting the cake toward the beginning of the reception. I think it just depends on what you prefer to do or how traditional you want to be with it. There are all kinds of variations on reception timelines. For example, lots of people do their first dance after dinner while some couples do it immediately when they are introduced into the reception area.

Personally I prefer to do cake cutting later in the evening - about 1.5 to 2 hours before the end of the night.
Just make sure that your DJ announces that the Bride and Groom will now cut the cake - IF you want people to see it and take pictures etc. I just find it more natural to be done at this point in the evening, since the cake is then passed out with coffee and tea for dessert.

Bottom line though is that its your wedding - do whatever you like better!

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com

WATCH OUT "Bleight-ers".TEAM KICK-ASS (LittleRoo,Cyclist,MrsFord,OldAmy and Kelley) are going to KICK. YOUR. ASS!!!

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 5:22 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Yeah it makes more sense to me to cut the cake later in the evening. It just really threw me for a loop when it started off w/everyone being introduced, then went right into the first dance, and then they cut the cake right away after dancing. It was just different I guess, didn't know if that was the new "THING" to do, lol.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 5:37 PM Go to message in response to: NewMrsVelino

Yeah, I've seen that done, too - and I felt the same way you did. In fact, I totally missed the cake-cutting, as I didn't expect it so early in the evening. I was talking to my SIL during the first dance, and then the next thing I knew, the cake had been cut. Totally missed that!

Personally, I didn't really care WHEN they cut the cake. It made more sense to me to do it right before it was served, so we did it at the traditional time. As long as I GET some cake, I'm happy. (One note: I hate it when cake is put out on some side table rather than served to you at the table. I never realize that it's there until it's gone or it's time to leave! At our wedding, they served a slice of cake to each seat, even if the person sitting there was up dancing or socializing. MUCH better that way, as far as I'm concerned! That way, the cake is WAITING FOR ME when I'm ready to eat it...mmm!)

The only reason I can think of for people to cut the cake early in the night is if they hate being the center of attention and want to get it all out of the way at once. Or if they intend to have a few drinks, and want to get everything involving sharp, pointy knives out of the way beforehand! :)

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 5:43 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

LOL Art, good point. I was also thinking maybe they could only have the photographer for a certain amount of time and wanted cake cutting pics? I can say though that later in the evening they did have a piece of cake served to each seat, whether they were there or not. I think that's a great idea and will most likely have that done at my reception as well.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 5:53 PM Go to message in response to: NewMrsVelino

Hmm, yeah...the photographer thing is probably more accurate than not wanting to handle a knife after having a few drinks. Didn't even think of that, but it's probably the answer. If you have a limited amount of time with your photographer, you can always cut the cake right after dinner, rather than right after the first dance (assuming that you're doing your first dance when you're first announced). As long as it's after dinner, it wouldn't feel backwards to me. Of course, like I said, as a guest, I honestly don't care when the cake is cut...though I'm not expecting it before dinner.

That is...if you think you can handle a pointy knife after having a couple glasses of champagne at dinner! :)

DaisypathWedding Ticker

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 5:59 PM Go to message in response to: NewMrsVelino

Basically, it's considered rude to leave the reception BEFORE the cake is cut. Therefore, cutting it early lets the guests know that they are welcome to stay the whole night, but they are not obligated to do so.

We will likely cut our cake fairly early, because we're not having a formal sit down -- we're doing buffet style food. We'll come in, have our first dance and the parents dance, open up the dance floor -- FH and I will eat something (he's diabetic....this is not an option) and while we're eating, people can come up and talk to us. Honor attendants will do their toasty thing, we'll do the anniversary dance -- and then cut the cake. We're not tossing a bouquet -- we're doing anniversary dance (I only have eyes for you). Once that is done, all the elements are out of the way, people can stay or leave as they wish.

I'm packing us up a gable box of food though, BEFORE the wedding (basically, the stuff is here, before it gets put out, some is going in that box, and that box in the fridge ... MAID OF HONOR be responsible for putting it in the car.... I don't trust the flake of a Best Man who has not called FH in about 2 weeks, even in a response to an urgent text requesting their measurements.)

Misty

wedding countdown

Visit our Wedding Website

Laurenc126 Posts : 51 Registered: 11/14/07
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 3:18 PM Go to message in response to: NewMrsVelino

We cut our cake after dinner was cleared away. Our venue suggested they bring the cake to the middle of the dance floor, but we didn't want to do this - we wanted to do it off to the side, just for the photographer. Our mothers and few close family members who were seated by us and the cake knew we were cutting it, so they saw it, but we did not make a formal announcement. Our venue included a dessert in addition to the cake, so after the cake was cut, the included dessert was served and the cake was boxed and left by the door for those when they left.

BellaBeautifulB... Posts : 78 Registered: 8/9/07
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 8:43 PM Go to message in response to: NewMrsVelino

When to cut the cake has been a big issue for me...I just can't seem to decide when to do it for sure. My brother got married a year and a half ago. He and my SIL cute the cake after they were announced. They came in to the center of the dance floor and waved and did their thing. The cake was already on the dance floor. Also, the photographer was already taking their pictures and everyone was already giving them a standing ovation...so they had everyone's attention. It seemed like a good photo op. Since then I have seen many other couples either cut their cake or do their first dance after they are announced.

When my best friend got married last July her and her husband cut their cake later in the evening and I only got to see it in the pictures after the fact. I had no idea it was going on (and I was the MOH)! I do want everyone to see me and my FH cut our cake. Someone mentioned cutting the cake after dinner and bringing the cake to the middle of the dance floor. I really like that idea. Then you don't have to do it too soon, yet everyone can still see you do it. If our guests don't see us cut the cake after it is announced and in the middle of the dance floor then they just weren't meant to see it...lol!

Daisypath Wedding PicDaisypath Wedding Ticker

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 9:28 PM Go to message in response to: BellaBeautifulB...

Bella that is why I started the thread. It's racking my brain on when to do it, but I think that I've come to the same conclusion as you; bring the cake to the center of the floor and cut it after dinner so everyone can see. I've been to many weddings where they cut the cake during the night but no one knew it was being done and heard lots of people saying they were kind of disappointed because they didn't get to A: watch the cake being cut or B: actually never got to see the cake which in miy opinion was kind of their fault because the cake is always out on display for everyone to see.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine