Share your pre-engagement stories!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

PrincessDee Posts : 58 Registered: 1/6/09
Share your pre-engagement stories!
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 11:55 PM

I thought it would be fun to start a thread for you ladies to share any stories you have of your pre-engagement period. Here are a couple of things that have come up with my boyfriend and I:

We are still a little ways away from actually getting engaged, mostly because we haven't been together that long yet, but we plan to in the future. We went and looked at rings the other day, and I found out something interesting (to me, anyway). I apparently have freakishly small fingers. My ring finger is a size 3. Does anyone else have really small fingers? I was told that I can't get a ring with channel set side diamonds because the way the ring would have to be stretched to size it down, they would be in danger of popping out. Apparently, a three-stone diamond ring is okay, though, which is good because that's what I really want. I actually picked one out, and he found a wedding ring that he liked.

My boyfriend has actually come up with three different ideas for proposing to me. The only problem is, we keep talking about this stuff so much that he ends up sharing them with me and has to start all over again coming up with one. The first one he had was really cute. He was going to give me a planner, and tell me that he'd filled in a few dates, birthdays and such, and suggest I take a look. Well, on that date, he planned to write "The day (his name) proposed" and then when I saw it get down on one knee with the ring and ask me.

mainstdancer08 Posts : 140 Registered: 3/27/08
Re: Share your pre-engagement stories!
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 12:00 AM Go to message in response to: PrincessDee

My FH and I are pre-engaged otherwise 'unofficially' engaged. I don't have a ring yet and he hasn't asked me to marry him yet. We are waiting til it gets closer to start planning the wedding to become 'official'. The reason why we aren't 'official' & i don't have a ring yet is because we don't want to announce our engagement to our families and the church we go to because we would get a load of bs from the church and his family (they are catholic and not supportive of us at all). We're planning on a October 8, 2011 wedding date.
I also have very small fingers, I was born premature and have been skinny since I was a kid. My ring size is 6.

"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb"

When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

PrincessDee Posts : 58 Registered: 1/6/09
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 12:20 AM Go to message in response to: mainstdancer08

That sounds rough, having his family not be supportive of your relationship. My family is very supportive, and his is basically supportive, but there is more of a sense of hesitation on the part of his family. His grandmother in particular is very religious and doesn't like that I don't belong to a particular church. We just moved in together, so we want to wait until we've been living together for a little while before officially getting engaged, to give ourselves time to work out any difficulties (if there are any) and to give other people more time to get used to us being together. We get along incredibly well, though, and we are very happy together. This is the healthiest, happiest relationship I have been in. We have already pretty much picked out a date, and he knows I would like at least a year to officially plan, though unofficially I've already done a fair amount. He likes that I enjoy planning and that I'm enthusiastic about all of this, though, so it's a lot of fun. Are you guys working on plans along with the date, or waiting until you're officially engaged first?

PV2PHILLIPS2B Posts : 25 Registered: 1/13/09
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 2:32 PM Go to message in response to: PrincessDee

I didn't think my family was very supportive at first. They weren't thrilled with the idea of their "little girl" being a mailitary brat. But, as they get to know him more & more it seems they are warming up to the idea. He and I live together, and my dad in particular would like for us to be married instead of just living together. His mom & I were friends before I ever met FH. She has basically been rooting for our wedding since she introduced us over a year ago! LOL

Here's a cute/funny story. I got a call from my mother yesterday who had received a letter from my grandmother (who had just met FH last Friday) saying that she likes him very much and she thinks I'm much happier in this relationship than my last one (I was engaged for 3 years prior). She says he doesn't tell me what to do all the time like the last guy and she says that Lee (FH) and I make a cute couple and she thinks we will last forever.... I almost started crying when she read the letter to me. I'm a sap like that. You have to remember though. My grandmother is in her mid 80's, a short little grey haired, rolly polly, sweet little thing that you can't help but want to hug everytime you see her. That just really made me feel even better about wanting to marry him... I really didn't think that was possible!

PrincessDee I totally know what you mean about FH spilling his propsal ideas! My FH is HORRIBLE at keeping secrets, and I have to all but tape his mouth shut to get him to shut up before he tells his entire plan! What is it with these boys?! They are worse than some females when it comes to this stuff!

SanaChan Posts : 47 Registered: 1/2/08
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 7:37 PM Go to message in response to: PrincessDee

My family seems to be pretty neurtal to my BF, but his family used to hate the fact that we were together! I was friends with him for 4 years, and we've been going out for over 4 now, and they've JUST started coming around (8 years later!), and I think his family may actually even like me now.

As for planning, we don't have an official date set as of yet, but we've talked about colors and the size, and what time of year and where abouts we'll get married, but nothing is set in stone. (Although I really do want an August wedding for a number of reasons. Not too hot, and not too cold. Not too much rain, and anyone in school is still on summer break, and august is usually pretty uneventuful for most people)

Although, he had this big plan for new years. He wanted to go see the fireworks at the forks, and then at midnight, pop the question and celebrate with champaign. It may be a little cliche, but I loved the idea! He ended up getting called to work, so that couldn't happen and that's why he told me. But I do know now that he's planning on asking.

Sorry, I rambled quite a bit! :lol:
"Those who want to relive their youth, are probably too old to remember it."

VivaLasVegasBride Posts : 52 Registered: 1/9/09
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 9:03 PM Go to message in response to: SanaChan

Well from pretty much the beginning, everyone that knows FH says he is far different with me than he's been with any of his ex-girlfriends. To begin with, according to his friends, he'd never mentioned the word love, let alone marriage about the other girls. He'd never acted giddy about a girl, and as one friend put it, FH was a love sick puppy around me.

So a few weeks after we'd been dating, oddly enough marriage talk had already come up. I mean I knew pretty early on that he was the man of my dreams, but I never thought he'd be thinking about marrying me. One night in the car he said something along these lines: "Nicole, I know you want to be asked the right way, and I promise I'll ask that way one day, but I have to ask this now, will you be mine forever, and forever I'll be yours?"

Of course I said yes. Since then he's been tempted to ask me "officially" but he still lacks the ring. I'm really in no rush, I mean we moved in together, and I know the committment is there, but I'd rather have all of the debts paid off instead of adding to it with an expensive ring. Besides we've set the date, and a year and a half is a long time, I can wait for the ring.

SanaChan Posts : 47 Registered: 1/2/08
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 2:23 AM Go to message in response to: VivaLasVegasBride

Yea, that totally makes sense! And rings are SO expensive, it's insane! Who can afford that, especially with the economc depression? That money is almost better spent of the wedding itself, and you can just get a nicer wedding band or something
"Those who want to relive their youth, are probably too old to remember it."

mainstdancer08 Posts : 140 Registered: 3/27/08
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 9:21 PM Go to message in response to: PrincessDee

Well we've already figured out the wedding party, most of the guest list, and have somewhat of a song list. I'm giving him til August 1, 2010 at 12am (CST) to propose, we'd be dating 2 years by then and before anyone says anything it was FH's idea for me to give him a certain date to propose by. We're waiting til he proposes to do more of the planning.

"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb"

When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

LunaLaela Posts : 2 Registered: 1/8/09
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 1:39 PM Go to message in response to: PrincessDee

{color:#000000}Hi, all!

I'm pretty new here... so this is my first post in the forums! Hooray!
I'm 21, my boyfriend is going to be 20 in February.
{color:#ff00ff}(Sometimes I feel like I'm robbing the cradle... but honestly. He looks older than his age and I look younger!. Both of our families are very supportive! My family's pretty much Greek and Italian, while his family is all Portuguese. (Amazing food from both sides, and they know how to have a good time--haha!) {color:#3366ff}Everything just feels so right with him. We both have admitted, after going out for only 6 months at the time, that it feels like we've been together much longer. Both of us are anime fanatics and we enjoy videogames. We love acting and theatre in general. We both want to be high school teachers (in different areas). We want to travel! There's just so much in common!

Well, this past Christmas Eve, (which was our 10 months anniversary of us starting to go out we) had plans. I went to my family's Christmas Eve party, and then drove down to his family's house later that evening. His family, as a tradition, open their gifts at midnight on Christmas. When it was time to open gifts, him and his family told me that I had to open mine last--the huge box sitting next to the tree. I kept looking at it, wondering what it could have been! Well, the time came, and I unwrapped this box and opened it inside, discovering three small boxes. One of them was labeled "Open Last," so I started on the other two. One had a volume of a manga (Japanese comic book) that I enjoy, and he bookmarked a page that had two characters kissing. The other box had a gift card to an online game that both of us play so that we can have our characters get married (I know, I know... very nerdy...) and the last had a small stuffed Santa holding a tiny red sack. Inside there was a piece of paper that said "Turn around!" I was sitting on the floor while I was opening these gifts, and my boyfriend was behind me. I quickly spun around and found him kneeling to be with a ring. I DIED. I thought he was proposing to me. It was actually a promise ring. I cried! He told me after that he knew it was way too soon to propose to me, taking into account on how both of our families would feel about us being engaged in our early twenties. But if he could, he would have.

Goodness! Sorry about all of my rambling. I feel like I just wrote a novel! {color} Edited by: LunaLaela on Jan 19, 2009 1:41 PM

Edited by: LunaLaela on Jan 19, 2009 1:42 PM

jmd22 Posts : 125 Registered: 7/17/08
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 2:15 PM Go to message in response to: PrincessDee

Still waiting for my ring! : ) My boyfriend and I have been together for almost a year and a half and we were friends for about a year before we started dating. We told each other about 3 months into our relationship that we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together. I moved in with him about 6 months ago, and everything is going amazing!

We have discussed rings, proposals, have pretty much decided where we want to get married (have yet to go and look at the actual wedding location, or do any pricing, so we'll see), have our "first dance" song picked out, have already asked our neighbor, who owns a catering company, to make our cake and do our catering (location permitting), have a photographer lined up, discussed who our bridal party will be, etc, etc, etc. We're just not actually engaged yet.

I have a feeling that the proposal is coming soon. I don't think he's bought the ring yet, since he just asked me last week if I had any idea what size ring I wear (which I don't....I'm such a dopey girl! : ) , but he told me that he already told his parents not to make too many travel plans for the rest of the year, since we will most likely be getting married "sometime in 2009." So, he'd better get on it! I have a wedding to plan, haha!

We are leaving for a cruise in the Caribbean on Valentines Day, so maybe it will happen on the trip?? Aaagghh....I'm so excited!! : )

DaniTheGirl Posts : 3 Registered: 1/8/09
Posted: Feb 6, 2009 9:53 AM Go to message in response to: PrincessDee

My Honey is 19 and I'm 18. We've been together for almost three years. We went to both Proms together (we were in the same grade) and are high school sweethearts.

Senior year was interesting because we both applied to colleges in two different cities, about an hour away. In the end, we made the choice to go to closer colleges and now he is in my apartment way more than his dorm.

I know we are young, but we are both really committed to eachother and after three years, I still get crazy butterflies when I see him. My family wants to pretty much adopt him, and I love his family. We've talked many times about getting married and we are both sure we want to. He got a promise ring for me about a year and a half ago and wear it everyday.

I have no idea when he is going to propose though! He's very hush-hush about that. I do know we will be engaged by next june, after I have gotten my Associates Degree. So, it's going to be a long year and a half or so!

True high school sweethearts!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine