Healthy Convenience Food...need ideas

Online Users: 1,303 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 5

ChrissLady Posts : 1,352 Registered: 4/5/06
Healthy Convenience Food...need ideas
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 1:29 PM

Ok, so this semester is going to be trying. DH picked a second job. Why? I don't know. So neither of us will be home to cook except on weekends and Wednesday. I still plan to cook on Sunday, so that will take care of lunch on Monday. Really I need something for dinner during the week, and lunch on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Any ideas??

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Re: Healthy Convenience Food...need ideas
Posted: Jan 17, 2009 1:27 PM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

Crock pot!!

Just google crockpot recipes. I think you can make anything in a crockpot! Dump the ingredients in it before you go to work; it only takes about 5-10 minutes (you can get some of it ready the night before). When you come home, you'll have a meal. My crockpot is programmable, so I can set it to turn itself down to warm after a certain number of hours.

I also stock up on frozen tilapia fillets from target for when I dont' have time to cook. I think it's $6 for a 1.5 lb bag. They defrost quickly-- 5ish minutes. Then I fry them in a frying pan (use spray butter, not oil, for less fat/calories) with some lemon-pepper seasoning. You can serve it with microwaveable rice, and either a vegetable or salad. The whole thing takes maybe 15 minutes.

George Foreman grills are also awesome. You can cook frozen chicken breasts in about 10 minutes. Some grocery stores have pre-flavored ones so you don't even have to worry about seasonings. I like mine with BBQ sauce, though.

For lunch, I usually take deli meat sandwiches along with fruit and a granola bar. It takes me 3 minutes to pack my lunch.

independant2406 Posts : 58 Registered: 12/8/08
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 8:54 AM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

Hey there... I totally know where you're coming from!!

My FH and I both work and got to college full time, I usually work 50 hours a week plus classes and homework. On top of that we have an awkward living situation right now, which means I rarely have access to a kitchen (long story).

I'd really reccomend trying to find as many fresh foods as you can.... try shopping the outer parts of the grocery store instead of the inside where they put all the packaged and canned foods.

Try things like fresh fruit, yogurt, nuts, fish, etc. Also another thing that works great are some of the frozen meals from healthy choice and budget gourmet. Although arguably not as tasty or healthy as some options they'll keep you full and low on calories, and best of all they're cheap and quick to cook!! Also great if your the only one eating.... my FH and I rarely have the same eating schedule...

Edited by: independant2406 on Jan 19, 2009 8:54 AM

LilTuffGirl Posts : 301 Registered: 11/4/08
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 10:08 AM Go to message in response to: independant2406

I work 24 hours shifts and have learned not to cook anything or i'll get a call right in the middle of it. So I started trying different healthy frozen dinners and so far the best ones i've found are the weight watchers "Smart Ones". They are actually pretty good!! Although i've kinda burnt myself out on those so i'm currently eating soup which isn't the GREATEST but much better than the fast food my coworkers eat and I use to always eat.
I have to admit once I left my old partner i've been eating like crap... but last week I switched back into healthy mode and already feel better :)

http://www.ezticker.com/ticker/1642/214/20090829/our+wedding/ticker.png

True love never lives happily ever after - true love has no ending

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 18, 2012 6:41 AM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

A-Line Scoop NEckline Off-Shoulder Straps with Ruffles Floor Length Zipper Chiffon prom Dress
Save up to 42% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $188.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-scoop-neckline-offshoulder-straps-with-ruffles-floor-length-zipper-chiffon-prom-dress-p-32016.html

Kimberly212 Posts : 972 Registered: 9/12/12
Posted: Sep 19, 2012 6:54 PM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

A-line White One Long Sleeve Open Back Knee-length Prom Dress With Applique
Save up to 24% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $98.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-white-one-long-sleeve-open-back-kneelength-prom-dress-with-applique-p-32118.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine