Engagement photo question

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

BrideofFrankens... Posts : 31 Registered: 1/14/09
Engagement photo question
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 11:15 PM

My boyfriend proposed at the beginning of December. We're planning for a long engagement. When would be an appropriate time to take engagement photos.... and more importantly... haha, what do you do with them? I have plenty of cute pictures of us... haha, do we really NEED anymore? :)

JessyNChris Posts : 120 Registered: 4/3/08
Re: Engagement photo question
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 4:41 PM Go to message in response to: BrideofFrankens...

Engagement pictures can be taken any time. Most people use them for newspaper announcements, and to use them for save the date announcements. Some people get it done test our their photographer. Since we haven't set a date yet, we couldn't do the newspaper announcement. But I wanted to get ours done because we don't have many pictures of us, and none that was professionally done.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting  Waiting to be Mrs. Styskal 

BrideofFrankens... Posts : 31 Registered: 1/14/09
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 7:23 PM Go to message in response to: JessyNChris

Thank you very much for the info! :)

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 8:39 PM Go to message in response to: BrideofFrankens...

I Personally think that engagement photos are one of those things that recently has been added on to the list of things that brides absolutely HAVE TO HAVE!!! ... if you catch my drift. hehe I don't think our parents' generation, for the most part, was all that worried about engagement photos, which tells me that it's a more recent addition.

Though, even with that in mind, EH and I had some done. Actually, they we went to Sears and did a sit-down portraits session about a month before he proposed and I used those. I understand the reasons behind them... something to put in the paper, a way to test out your photographer... etc, etc. We all find reasons to justify what it is that we want to have, and if you want them then these reasons are very valid. But as with just about anything wedding-related, it's not necessary to feel as if they are a "necessity" just because other people do it. If you already have a lot of photos you like of the two of you, then I'd say use one of those and put the money you would have saved in to some other aspect of your wedding that you want to make a priority, be it the food or the location or whatever. :)

Here's what we ended up with from Sears:

s41974ca114881_11_0.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

s41974ca114881_14.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

s41974ca114881_10_3.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

s41974ca114881_6_1.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

Just to give you an idea for comparison's sake - we walked out the door with a bill of about $150. That paid for our sitting fee, about 10 sheets of photos (some 5x7's, some 8x12's... etc.. etc..) and a CD with all the photos and the rights to reproduce them. Of course we got to pick all the ones we liked.

So when you're pricing out what the photos will cost with any photographer they'll probably want to quote you a package price. If that's the case, ask what a package without the engagement photos in it would cost so that you get the price of them by themselves. Then from that decide if they are worth to you what they're priced at. :)

Hope that's helped. :)

IMG_7875.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08

MrsGrimm Posts : 39 Registered: 3/30/08
Posted: Jan 17, 2009 7:18 PM Go to message in response to: BrideofFrankens...

We got our engagement pics done about a month before we got married but i didn't like that. I wish we got them right after we got engaged, which is probably more the point. Hence engagement picstures. I was wondering to should I get them, blah blah blah. and I'm really happy I did. I think if I didn't I would have regreted it. Its a fun thing to do with your husband.

We got ours done through our photographer. It was $250.00 and we went to 3 different locations and shot for about 4 hrs. It was alot of fun. The best thing about my photographer was even for the wedding and the engagement pics she gave me all the pics on a disc. for the wedding it was 3 discs full. It was alot of fun.

facen Posts : 120 Registered: 11/8/08
Posted: Jan 17, 2009 8:12 PM Go to message in response to: MrsGrimm

JazzyExpo, your pics are great!

MrsGrimm Posts : 39 Registered: 3/30/08
Posted: Jan 17, 2009 9:03 PM Go to message in response to: facen

Facen - thank you so much!

Jlacey Posts : 1 Registered: 12/2/08
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 12:17 AM Go to message in response to: BrideofFrankens...

I am a professional photographer and also a newly engaged bride to be (03-05-10). I think is a really good idea to get engagement photos done - with your wedding photographer. I include an engagement shoot with all of my wedding photo packages - this is really a great way to get to know your photog and also get comfortable in front of the camera. I believe it is so important for the couple and their photographer to get to know each other well before the actual wedding day. You guys will be more relaxed and this will show in your photos - it ends up being more like a friend is photographing you. This is a great way to really see your photog in action and really understand their style and what to expect with a photoshoot. I have had a number of brides tell me what a difference it made to their groom to do the shoot and meet me and work with me ahead of time - they just felt much more comfortable. If anyone has any questions about anything having to do with wedding photography please just send me a message!

Jen & Dave

March 5th 2010
Playa Del Carmen - Mexico

Jen and Dave

03-05-10 - Playa Del Carmen - Mexico - Ceremony

07-31-10 - Celebration Reception - Lake House - Michigan

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 12:39 PM Go to message in response to: BrideofFrankens...

Yeah, engagement photos are kind of useless. If you want a nice photo for a newspaper announcement or to put on save-the-dates, it makes sense. If not, there's really no reason to get them.

We didn't see any reason to get engagement photos taken, so we didn't look into it when we were first engaged. When we booked our wedding photographer (which we didn't do until about 2 months before our wedding), she offered us free engagement photos as part of our wedding package. She was trying to build her portfolio at the time, so we got a REALLY great deal on her services, and she threw in a bunch of perks, like the free engagement photos. So we got them done because they were free.

We waited to do them until about 2 weeks before our wedding. Both us and the photographer wanted to do outdoor engagement photos, and our wedding was in late April, so the weather didn't really start cooperating until a couple weeks before. Plus, it was cherry blossom time in DC, where we live, so we did our photos down at the Tidal Basin. So we did ours about 2 weeks before the wedding, and we didn't use them for anything. I think I printed out two of them to add to the photos our moms brought to set up at the reception, but other than that, we haven't used them for anything.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine