Moissanite rings

Online Users: 1,250 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 47

Leli Posts : 89 Registered: 1/12/09
Re: Moissanite rings
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 5:52 PM Go to message in response to: PV2PHILLIPS2B

Here's a pic of a pink moissy setting that I found. It's a rose pink color, so it's very light. Looks very much like a fancy pink diamond.

This one is a salmon colored moissy.

These are all moissys as well.

If I find any more, I'll let you know.

Autumnalis2010 Posts : 133 Registered: 1/12/09
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 6:15 PM Go to message in response to: Leli

I love the colored moissanite! I have always thought it would be cool to have a yellow diamond so that is just awesome! My absolute dream ring/setting is from a different company than MoissaniteCo, so I emailed them to see if they would be offering colored moissanite as well, or even if they would custom make the ring with a stone from MoissaniteCo. Thanks for the pics, Leli!

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 6:21 PM Go to message in response to: Autumnalis2010

No problem! I'm trying to get that picture of the enhanced stone next to the non-enhanced, but the message board that it was posted on seems to be down or something. :(

I feel like I'm a salesperson with all these posts, but I'm just so excited. I can't wait until they make the enhanced heart shape available. I'm going to snatch that up!

Apparently the only issue with the colored moissys is that they can't handle as much heat as the regular ones do. I think its limit is like 1200F. Either way, I read that if you've got moissys in your setting you should let the jeweler know before he does any work, just in case! I think MoissCo has a warranty on their colored stones against fading and such, so that's good!

Autumnalis2010 Posts : 133 Registered: 1/12/09
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 6:25 PM Go to message in response to: Leli

Well I, for one, am glad you brought this up! I have seen a few (really old) threads about moissanite and other diamond simulants. You've been able to find a lot of really good information and pics!

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 6:30 PM Go to message in response to: Autumnalis2010

Yeah, that was the problem I was having. I could only find stuff from like 3 or 4 years ago, and the stones really did have an issue with green tinting back then. It took me several days to accumulate all this information, because most of it is from message boards! You can't really read this stuff on vendor sites because obviously they're trying to sell it to you, so they're kinda biased. My boyfriend asked if I would be okay with Moissanite because my family (well, a few of my cousins) really like to show off and they've got like $15k rings on their fingers (or their wives'). So I told him I'd say, "Well, which looks nicer? More importantly, how much did you pay?"

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 8:04 PM Go to message in response to: Autumnalis2010

The message board with the pics of the enhanced stones is finally working. Here they are! I don't think I need to tell you which is which!

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 8:42 PM Go to message in response to: Leli

leli- what do you mean by the stones are enhanced? I heard about enhanced diamonds, but after talking to a jeweler was told it is not a good choice. The enhanced stones a suseptible to chips and what not.

Also for you ladies that already have moissonite rings, can you post pics? My FMIL has a fake diamond ring. She thinks it is the moissonite, but when her ring is looked at from an angle, it displays a black triangle. Any one else have the same issue?

www.mywedding.com/samanthaandpatrick/

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 9:51 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Enhanced diamonds are the ones that had inclusions that are drilled out, and then the crevice is filled in with something like CZ, and I also have heard that these are not a good option because they're weak on those filled spots.

The enhanced stones I'm talking about are moissanite stones that have been heat treated as well as something done to the actual surface of the stone to make them look whiter. The biggest concern for most people about moissanite is that it can have a yellowish tint in some lighting, but newer moissanites don't really have this issue except for the fancy cuts. So this company found a way to treat the fancy cut moissanites to get them to look more white.

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 9:53 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

About the black triangle, what kind of cut is it? Even in diamonds, if the rock isn't cut correctly, or in the case of fancy shapes, there can be a bow-tie effect, which sounds like the black triangle you're talking about.

http://www.diamondvues.com/2005/02/diamond_bowtie.html

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 10:16 PM Go to message in response to: Leli

She has one big brilliant round and then 2 princess. All three have the black triangle. She ordered hers from russianbrilliants.com. I was talking to her about the black triangle and has since ordered a loose stone from sona diamond (I don't know the exact website) and theirs too had the black triangle.

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 10:35 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Both of those vendors are CZ vendors, so I don't think she's got moissanite. As for the black triangle on those, I'm not sure what would cause that in all of them, other than the cut.

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 10:47 PM Go to message in response to: Leli

Leli do you work for a moissanite company? You seem to know a lot about many different vendors. Russian Brilliants sells moissanite as well as CZs, you just have to call and ask them. I looked into a simulated diamond ring to wear instead of my real ring(I am bad with jewelery and didn't want to lose it) and was told that all simulated stones are really just CZ. Russian Brilliants claims theirs is not CZ, so does the Sona place. So which is better? Moissanite or simulated diamonds? I asked at a jewelery store and they told me both basically suck. And to stick with the real thing.

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 11:16 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

I actually don't, even though it sounds like I does, lol. But I've been really researching it because I was planning on a diamond ring originally, but then I heard something about moissanite, and it looked like a good alternative, but I didn't want to be paying out my butt for a CZ (in case it was just another brand name). I've been pretty much reading up on all the alternatives, which is why I know so much about them. Even though those they are all CZ, the way they're cooled, if there's a coating on them, and how they're cut (hand or machine) is what makes the difference, I believe. I personally want to get moissanite not for a diamond simulant, but because it's a very pretty stone in its own right. Kinda like getting a pink sapphire instead of tourmaline, or something like that. Also, moissanite is harder than CZ, so it's not prone to scratching, and it won't cloud up over time, which is the main issue with CZ. But to each their own. In my opinion I want moissanite because it is a pretty jewel, not because it looks like a diamond.

Info on Sona Diamonds
Sona Diamond Simulant has been making a number of claims about their
product, including statements that it is a non-CZ simulant created by
high-pressure melding of natural diamond and sapphire.

"Sona
Diamond, a Israel scientific gemological facility announced a
revolutionary, patented process called formula A1203. A process of
extreme heat and pressure applied to real diamond and sapphire to form
a composite hybrid diamond simulant. The Sona Diamond will create a new
category that blurs the line between natural diamond and simulant.
This
scientific achievement is a milestone both for Sona Diamond and for the
jewelry industry, as it represents the first known jewelry usage of a
non-cubic zirconia form of diamond simulant."

To test this claim, we hired Anderson Materials to independently purchase and test their non-CZ simulant via XPS analysis.

The results:

1. The gemstone is yttrium-stabilized cubic zirconia primarily.

2. No aluminum was found, therefore there is no sapphire infused
into this surface. The carbon concentration was very low after the
sputter removal of only 20 nm, so no significant diamond material could
be infused into the gemstone surface.

3. This gemstone was oxygen-enriched, not slightly deficient the way
many other cubic zirconia gemstones are. This probably means that some
carbon dioxide and water have reacted with the Zr in the near surface
region, which commonly does occur with zirconia in time.

In otherwords, the independent testing shows the Sona Diamond Simulant to be ordinary cubic zirconinium. (And thus, not the first non-CZ simulant, made from natural diamond and sapphire fused together).

Info On Russian Brilliants from their website:
With lab created diamonds, man has found a way to
recreate one of Mother Nature's most spectacular achievements under
controlled laboratory conditions. Hadar, Company worldwide distributor
of Russian Brilliants®, hand-cut diamond simulants, separates fact from
fiction about diamond manufacturing. Lab created diamonds look like the
real thing because they are chemically and structurally identical to
diamonds mined from the earth. However, to date, scientists have only
been able to create diamonds that are yellow or pink in color.
Russian
Brilliants® on the other hand, are made to simulate Mother Nature's
brilliant colorless (D-E white) along with an array of canary yellows,
pink and blue colors.

Info from RussianStoneCompany, stating the chemical composition to be that of CZ, but doesn't flat out say that it is cubic:
"Guaranteed for the life of the owner to never fade, change color or loose its brilliance, fire or lustre unlike cubic zirconium, Russian Stones are hand cut and polished from Yttrium Zirconium
oxide(YZrO2).
"

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 11:19 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Oh, also, I've read that if you do want a CZ diamond simulant, your best bet is Asha because they put a coating on it.

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 11:28 PM Go to message in response to: Leli

Where did you find that information on the 2 websites I gave you? Good to know. I am not to serious about finding a replacement ring yet. My sisters keep making fun of me for it because it is something a celebrity would do. I am just so bad w/ jewelery and would feel awful if I lost my ring. I wish I would have listened better to what the lady said about moissanite.... Either way I wouldn't want to spend big bucks on a CZ. If I am going to spend a few thousand on a fake ring, I want it to be worth what I paid!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine