Need Some Advice from the DIYers!!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 30

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
Need Some Advice from the DIYers!!
Posted: Jan 4, 2009 8:02 PM

I would like to possibly do my own invitations, RSVP cards, RD invites, programs, Thank Yous if it saves a lot of money. However, I of course am completely clueless on how to do this and still make them look professional quality. Any suggestions? I'd love to see pics of the ones you made yourself!! I'm going to have around 150 guest.

wedding widget

independant2406 Posts : 58 Registered: 12/8/08
Re: Need Some Advice from the DIYers!!
Posted: Jan 5, 2009 7:44 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

Well I haven't started my invitations yet but I have figured out the method I want to use to create them. A friend of mine from work makes beautiful cards using materials from Stampin Up. I asked her for a catalogue and heres a few ideas from their website. They have tons of winter ideas in the catalogue (you can download the entire thing as a PDF if you want) visit StampinUp.com

These aren't specifically wedding cards but they'll give you an idea of what can be done with it:

Posted: Jan 5, 2009 10:45 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

Thank you so much for the ideas! Some of those are really cute, but probably beyond my skill level haha! I'm definitely going to check out that website.

wedding widget

MrsRicecake Posts : 700 Registered: 2/2/08
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 12:18 AM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

I dont know what I did with my invitation pictures. I got my invitations from JoAnne Fabrics. They were so pretty and looked professional. They have a lot of different styles and all that!

Going to the chapel and we're gonna get married! December 27, 2008!

http://alaireandclayton.weddings.com

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 12:28 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

WWD- I made my own invitations for $30. I bought 2 boxes of invitation kits from Wal-Mart on sale. They were marked down from $20/box down to $9/box. Then I searched this website for invitation ideas to copy http://www.theamericanwedding.com/ . I found that I liked this one the best-- http://www.theamericanwedding.com/shopping/prod_detail/main.asp-pid-6944 I didn't do square because I found out from the post office that some "odd shaped" invitations can be charged extra postage. Um, yeah, thanks, but I 'll pass.

So, here's my invitation. You can see in the second pic that I added an extra color border to give it some attitude. lol The charm is also added in the second pic. The blue paper and black paper is just cheap cardstock paper from Walmart and JoAnns. The raffia that I used to tie it all together was $1. The starfish I got off ebay. I printed everything out on my home printer.

invitation.jpg picture by sqeakers26 IMAGE_065.jpg picture by sqeakers26

ever thine          ever mine          ever ours

Check out our site http://www.mywedding.com/robertandginger

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 1:33 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

I created my invitations from scratch, just going in to michaels and picking out the papers that I wanted to use and goign from there. I just used a layering technique, making each layer slightly smaller than the layer below it so you could see the borders. Here are pics:

Wedding Invitation  by you.

the bottom is a heavy-weight, handmade paper (more like a thin cardstock), on top of it is a handmade flower petal paper, then on top is a vellum that I ran through my printer at home and had the words printed on to. I cut the layers by hand (Oh. My. God. This took forever) and then glued them together with vellum glue that I bought from a craft place online (dries very clear). The ribbon was an added touch to make it look like that's what held them together. The green vellum envelopes behind I made by hand from a template I found online. :) They took forever and ever, but they were inexpensive and exactly what I wanted!Wax Seal by you.

After it was all done we sealed each with a red wax seal. :) None were perfect, but they were beautiful. If I had become a perfectionist, I would have gone bonkers. LOL

Hope this helped! :)

IMG_7875.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 4:55 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

Nala, Those are great! Very pretty! I thought I was losing my mind at some points during making the invitations. I started probably 4 months ago so I would only have to do a few a month.

{color:#000000}{font:'Edwardian Script ITC'}{size:16pt}{color:#993366} ever thine ever mine ever ours{size}{font}

Edited by: mushaboo on Jan 11, 2009 4:55 PM

Posted: Jan 12, 2009 7:24 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

Wow you girls are soooo creative! You are so inspiring!! I think I'm going to go for it!!

wedding widget

Rylan Posts : 23 Registered: 1/12/09
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 1:34 AM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

My husband and I made many of the items for our wedding, and it really helped the wedding to better represent us as a couple. Some of the items we made included our invitations, our save-the-date magnets, and our cake topper. He even composed all of the music. :-) We were also lucky enough to have very talented friends who performed music, made the cake, made the dresses and jewelry, made our time capsule, and provided the photography. Anyway, here are pictures of the invitations and the save-the-date magnets:

http://www.whenisthewedding.com/photos/invitations-doubleScrolls-sm.jpg
These are two of our scroll invitations that we made. In this picture, they are on top of our time capsule with our ring set.

http://www.whenisthewedding.com/photos/magnets-final-sm.png
This is one of the save-the-date magnets that we made. Unfortunately, this picture is a bit washed out, but the actual magnets turned out pretty well.

We have added how-to articles for other DIY couples to our website. Currently, they only include articles on making scroll invitations and save-the-date magnets, but we hope to get more articles up soon. I'm hoping that I can talk my husband into writing an article on the Lego cake topper that he made. He had fun doing that. :-)

www.whenisthewedding.com/resources.php

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 6:10 AM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

mushaboo, I know what you mean about the going insane... you seriously have to pace yourself and give yourself LOTS of time. The deisgn I chose had so much CUTTING to do and such precise measuring... each of those layers was 1/16th of an inch in on all sides. lol For anyone starting... Don't do that to yourselves!! LOL

IMG_7875.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

pjwuebker Posts : 4 Registered: 1/16/09
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 5:36 AM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

A custom wedding postage stamp is an easy way add a classical elegance to whatever design you create. Perhaps a matching stamp for your thank yous. My online site has several hundred to consider. Take a look and see what you think. This is the link to the main stamp page. Feel free to comment or vote on any image you find appealing.

racegrrl720 Posts : 31 Registered: 4/13/08
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 12:39 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

Mushaboo: That's just about exactly what I'm doing with mine! Well, I don't think I'm getting quite as fancy as yours turned out to be, but I bought a simple white w/black trim DIY invitation kit yesterday at Hobby Lobby, got some Vellum paper and some ribbon and what that cost me for fifty invites was less than $20. I was so proud of myself. I'm kind of...well let's just put this bluntly... ripping off...a design of a particular invite from american wedding. I may end up trimming the edges off the invite cards and adding some kind of colored cardstock behind the invite like you did.

For any of you DIY'ers on a tight budget, I seriously suggest you check out Hobby Lobby... it seems like they are almost always running a good sale on bridal stuff... this week it was 50% off!!! If I'd had $100 yesterday, I'd probably have been able to buy everything I needed for the wedding...

May I ask where you got your charms at?

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 12:56 PM Go to message in response to: racegrrl720

I just finished making my own invites! I must say it was quite the process. And took a lot longer then I expected. But I paid about $125 for 85 invites. I did a pocket folder style. Here are the pics, sorry they aren't great.
SDC10027.jpg picture by steffmacmath
SDC10028.jpg picture by steffmacmath

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 7:04 PM Go to message in response to: racegrrl720

I got them for $3 on eBay. I seriously have saved soooooo much money doing it myself.

ever thine          ever mine          ever ours

goldelox20 Posts : 152 Registered: 8/6/07
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 1:43 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

I purchased my paper from http://paperandmore.com/. I have pictures of my invitation on my profile but I posted them on the "old" brides.com. I'm not sure if you can see them or not.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine